Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caite

Caite's Accutane Log

Edit: 09/24/05 (Day 48)

I am now taking 50mg/day - divided into a 10mg and 40mg pill with lunch and dinner. I'm currently 103lbs/47kg and have so far experienced very mild side effects.

So I'm joining the many other Accutane users and starting my own log too smile.gif I figure this would be a good way to track my progress and side effects, and might be helpful to others considering Accutane.

Anyway, a bit about myself... I'm an 18 (soon to be 19) year old girl and I can only really remember having acne since I was 16. At least, that's when I became conscious and embarrassed by it. Looking at old photos, I discovered (to my horror) that I had breakouts since I was 15, but I guess it never bothered me back then.

Right now I have mild acne. I've currently got five pimples (some rising, some dying), an ominous under-the-skin bumpy (that may become a nasty cysty), and a healthy smattering of clogged pores. Attractive, I know.

I've tried erythromycin, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and various over-the-counter lotions and potions.

I'm 49kg and am on a once-daily dose of 40mg.

Just took my first pill with dinner!

I've got an arsenal of vaseline and eyedrops ready. ninja.gif

^Thanks!

Day 2

So I woke up, hoping to find a little Sahara for a face, but found the Exxon Valdez instead sad.gif No side effects yet.

I'm currently using:

AM/PM:

- L'Oreal Pure Zone cleanser

- St. Ives Apricot Radiance oily/acne-prone scrub (much gentler than the regular one)

- Eucerin anti-wrinkle-somethingsomething moisturizer

I'll keep that combo until the dry skin starts kicking in.

And Queen Helene Mint Julep mask and Neosporin to spot treat.

^Ah, progress is slow when you're out of work and school! I can't believe I'm looking forward to getting 'face dandruff'.

Day 3

Posting earlier than usual, since I took my pill earlier. Anyway, my skin feels drier today. It's hard to explain because it doesn't look any different. But besides that, no change. Still yucky. A couple things came to a head, which is surprising since rarely does anything come to a head for me.

Oh, I did have a super vivid dream last night. I dreamed I was doing my organic chem final and I was on Accutane. And I couldn't do half the questions and the little chemical structures kept swirling around the page. Then my nose burst out with blood and I blacked out. When I woke up it took me like five minutes to realize that it was just a dream and I haven't been in school for three months.

Tonight I'm going to my friends' housewarming party (she just moved out) and I might have a drink. I'll try to avoid it though, because of Accutane and because I think beer tastes like pee (not that I've tasted pee...).

^Ah, progress is slow when you're out of work and school!  I can't believe I'm looking forward to getting 'face dandruff'.

Day 3

Posting earlier than usual, since I took my pill earlier.  Anyway, my skin feels drier today.  It's hard to explain because it doesn't look any different.  But besides that, no change.  Still yucky.  A couple things came to a head, which is surprising since rarely does anything come to a head for me.

Oh, I did have a super vivid dream last night.  I dreamed I was doing my organic chem final and I was on Accutane.  And I couldn't do half the questions and the little chemical structures kept swirling around the page.  Then my nose burst out with blood and I blacked out.  When I woke up it took me like five minutes to realize that it was just a dream and I haven't been in school for three months.

Tonight I'm going to my friends' housewarming party (she just moved out) and I might have a drink.  I'll try to avoid it though, because of Accutane and because I think beer tastes like pee (not that I've tasted pee...).

god speed. also i heard its ok to have a few drinks but dont get drunk.

Day 4

- I'm starting to get 'halos' of dry skin around healing zits. It's pretty gross looking, but goes away with moisturizer.

- Blew my nose out today to find bloody bogeys. Ewww.

Overall, no new breakouts. There's some mutinous looking clogged pores, and the zits from day 1 are still here. I usually pop my zits as soon as I can, because they heal SO slowly, but I promised I wouldn't on Accutane.

And the dryness is already making makeup a problem. I wish I could go without, but my right cheek has a lot of red marks.

Day 5

I just came home from my friend's 19th birthday thing, and I'm feeling really down and out sad.gif My skin looked terrible tonight, and I felt so ugly among my friends. I really need to look for new makeup, since my current combo doesn't seem to work well with my less oily skin. I hate visiting makeup counters though. Actually, I hate visiting any sort of counter that makes me come out of denial about this whole acne business.

My skin is terrible. Not so much the acne, but it's just so damaged. Lately I've been getting pimples on the EXACT SAME SPOTS over and over. The skin there is already very delicate (upper cheeks), and I don't know if it'll ever look normal again. Right now it's paper thin, there's red marks (which look like they may become shallow scars?), and it's just very different from healthy skin. I'm really hoping Accutane will clear me up so that my skin finally has some time to properly heal.

In Accutane news:

- Got a couple whiteheads and a couple small pimples. Maybe this is the initial breakout? But none of these blemishes are "new", they've been hanging around as clogged pores for a long time

- Nose is fine again. I shoved some vaseline up there last night, which seemed to have fixed the bloody bogey situation.

- Oh yeah, ever since I started Accutane, I've been having weird super realistic dreams.

Good luck and please keep posting. My daughter is considering trying accutane (age 20) and seems to have the same kind of acne as you.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted.

Thanks for the support smile.gif It really means a lot to me since I don't feel like I have anyone I can talk to about this in "real life".

***WEEK 1***

Hurrah! Week one is done!

- My back is starting to feel a bit inflexible. I was doing some yoga yesterday and it felt stiff when I arched it or went from sitting to lying positions. Particularly my lower back.

- My left ear feels a bit "stuffy", like I've got water in it. I've never heard of this side effect before, so I don't know if it's Accutane related. I've tried googling and pubmeding it, but came up blank. I'm going to post a topic in the prescription forums about this.

- My acne has been more or less the same as when I started. Oh, I noticed blemishes seem to go away faster on Accutane. I have the most resilient pimples ever, I've had one that lasted a good three months (and just a NORMAL pimple!). So this is a HUGE improvement.

Overall, Accutane is going well. No major complaints!

I've read on here quite often about lower back pain. I don't think it should be too bad.

No breakouts yet...that's good.

Do you do any other exercise other than yoga?

^I run on weekdays on a treadmill. I haven't noticed Accutane affecting this yet, hopefully it doesn't!

Day 8

So a pimple headcount...

Healing: The cyst, a ginormous pimple, and an extra resilient pimple from day 1 are all flattening out nicely.

Brand Spankin New: 2 pimples and a whitehead. They are very small and unnoticeable though.

ALWAYS FUCKING THERE: Mutinous clogged pores and these non-inflamed pimples (or just overgrown clogged pores?) by my left ear.

- My face is kind of flushed. Not beet red or anything, just a bit rosy.

I've also been supplementing with:

- 2x500mg vitamin C

- 400 UI vitamin E

- B complex

I need to mentally prepare myself before downing all those pills ninja.gif

I also posted a thread in the RX forum about my stuffy ears. Seems quite a few people have had this, and it might be due to dehydration. I'm not too worried about it, but I'm definitely going to up my water intake.

Keep it up Caite, you made the right choice, I'm 40 days in and feel way less self-conscious than I did at the beginning. I also get the pressure in my ears, and when they pop I can hear so much better. Ear ache while I feel the pressure. Lower back pain, definitly, I'm working on my posture to correct that.

I hear you on the nose, my pores are so clogged, but it feels like little bumps now and the blackheads for me at least are definitly reducing. Wouldn't we love to have our noses like they were before puberty? HANG IN THERE you are gonna look better, I feel better when I realize I'm not a bum and shit. ninja.gif

^I agree, not feeling like bum-shit does wonders for your self esteem biggrin.gif It's nice to know this stuffy ear thing is fairly common, it's the only side effect that is bothering me so far.

Day 9

Definitely more red today. I'm out of the rosy range and into the too-much-sun look. It's weird looking, since my neck is like stark white. I put some blush on my neck today. I don't care if I'm red, but I don't want to be two-toned dammit!

My back is also more stiff. It's worst in the morning when I wash my face. Straightening up has become a tricky feat.

My skin is looking all right. It's definitely better than it was when I was on vacation three weeks ago.

And in other good news, the trippy super realistic dreams have stopped.

Hi Caite, thanx for posting cuz i'm goin to my derm on friday to ask him for accutane. My acne seems pretty much the same as yours and its nice to kno theres others out there goin thru this too.

Do you think maybe you should stop using the St. Ives scrub wash? I know it's the more gentle version, but I'm not sure any scrub is good right now. I don't know if MAYBE that is contributing to the "sunburnt" look on your face?

Don't worry, your stiff back will GO AWAY!!!!

^Yeah, I think my cleanser is only aggravating the red face situation. I'm only using the L'Oreal one right now, but even that is medicated. I'm going shopping tomorrow and am going to look for a new cleanser.

Day 10

Well, things seem to be rapidly going down the crapper. I got this big under-the-skin zit today. It's not too red or noticeable, but oh man, I can definitely feel it. I also got a little pimple on my jaw. Anyway, these aren't troubling, but my chin is. My entire chin is itchy and painful to the touch. It feels like something wicked bad is brewing under there, like a cyst colony of some sort. It's still pretty indefinite, and I'm hoping that maybe MAYBE Accutane will kill it before it all busts out. This is weird, since I can only remember getting a zit on my chin once before. It's usually all about the cheeks.

Anyway, so that has gotten me pretty down. I actually had a great weekend planned for once, so this is a big rain on my parade sad.gif

I guess this is the initial breakout, eh?

Which cleanser did you end up getting? I am starting my third week of accutane. I have also noticed the red irratated face. I thought that it might be caused by my medicated face wash also. Have you noticed extra breakout? I think my skin looks worse now then when I started the medication.

Sorry to hear your skin is worsening a little. But one thing I've read on here over and over again is whatever initial breakout you do get, it's over with pretty quickly. Just be super gentle on your skin.

What cleanser did you get? And what moisterizer are you using? Aquaphor is one that a LOT of people seem to swear by when on Accutane.

I know you can get it most anywhere.

Keep us posted. I hope you still get to enjoy your weekend. You know YOU are aware of your skin a LOT more than other people are. Try not to let it ruin your plans!

I ended up getting this:

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2090278

My derm recommended Cetaphil, but I didn't think that'll take off my makeup properly. I tried this out yesterday since I was wearing fancy eye makeup. It did a pretty good job, but I had to wash my eye area twice since I was wearing waterproof stuff.

I'm in Canada, so I don't know if we have Aquaphor. sad.gif Right now I'm using Eucerin Q10 moisturizer (it's an anti-wrinkle moisturizer I nicked from my mom) and Neosporin on old zits and healing areas.

And yeah! I'm going through with my weekend plans smile.gif Partly because they were costly and I've already paid! Haha. eusa_dance.gif

Day 12

Well life on Accutane isn't too fun right now. The breakout is continuing, though everything seems to be under the skin. It hurts and itches, but overall my skin doesn't look too different (maybe a bit splotchier). I noticed that Accutane kills the under the skin zits pretty fast (about 4 days), even without bringing them to the surface. My lips have been very soft and nice so far, thanks to religious use of lipgloss and vaseline. I forgot both yesterday though, and now my lips are cracked in four places sad.gif It hurts like a mofo, since it seems every facial movement I make is just deepening the cracks.

I also drank for the first time last night while on Accutane. I only had one drink but I got SUPER red. My face felt like it was going to spontaneously burst into flames or something. I don't tolerate alcohol well, and get red and drunk easily, but it was never this bad!

My face itches also. What do you think is causing that? Do you think because it is to dry. Do you have an itchy scalp? I have noticed that my scalp is super itchy and flakey. I have been using moisterizing shamp and cond.

Meghan

the *same* exact thing happens to me. I'm irish and my face usually gets red, but now it just gets red after like 2 beers or shots. I never go over 5 drinks on this stuff, don't want to know what will happen. I guess that's why it says NO ALCOHOL on some of the labels. AND i'm turning 21 on september 4th so I'm gonna have to keep it under control on the BDAY.

Also I know what you mean about under the skin acne, although my acne has significantly reduced, I have way more like smaller slightly invisible zits, just seems all the pores are getting stressed out. especially on my forehead. we'll get through it!!

I think you got a good moisterizer...should work fine for you.

Are you having dry eyes or any other bothersome side effects?

How did your weekend plans go?

legz

Well, before my face itched because of the (maybe? hopefully?) initial breakout I was going through. But I noticed the sides of my face ("sideburn" area) is always really itchy. I also think it's due to dryness. I don't have an itchy scalp yet, but I noticed my hair is less oily smile.gif

mjoyce

I'm limiting myself to a max of one drink now! I suspect I'll be drunk by 2, or my face will probably overheat and shut down. And I hate the under the skin zits, since I always fear that they will turn into cysts. This doesn't seem to happen on Accutane though. I'm turning legal this year too (19 is the drinking age in Canada), so I'll definitely have to watch myself eusa_hand.gif

Evey55

My weekend plans went well smile.gif A friend and I rented a cottage for Sat/Sun, and I think being outside helped clear my face up a lot. I normally go to extreme lengths to make sure I sleep and wake up in my own bed (due to makeup), so this was a very rare blip of bravery on my part. surprised.gif I didn't go makeup-free though redface.gif

I haven't had too many bothersome side effects. My eyes are irritated when I just wake up in the morning, but they feel heaps better after I wash my face. The back pain (actually, more like torso pain) is still there, but it's more of an annoyance than anything. The stuffy ears was the only thing that bothered me, and I think that is getting better too smile.gif

Day 15

It's crazy how Accutane can make your skin do a 180 literally overnight. Anyway, last post I made my skin looked like poo. But it's TONS better now. Some of the under the skin zits became small non-inflamed pimples (have about 6 of those), and the rest just disappeared. Besides those, I'm quite clear! Oh, and the best thing is that scary cyst colony I thought I had brewing in my chin seems to have just vanished! I'm really hoping that was my inital breakout! Though it seemed too short and easy...

I think my red marks are getting better too. Or they are just blending in better to my new redder skin tone. Since switching to a gentle cleanser my skin is still redder than normal, but it's definitely better.