Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heybabe

Where do you get Diane -35 in the US?

My doctor tried to call in for me to start Diane-35 but none of the pharmacies carry it, where do I get it?

Diane contains cyproterone acetate, which is not approved for use in the US by the pharmaceutical regulatory agency for the US, the FDA (unfortunately, as it's a good/safe treatment for some). The problem was that the company/creator did not pursue FDA approval at first (they opted to go for European approval instead), and once it did, the required testing did not meet FDA safety requirements. It wasn't the drug's safety so much as the study design; it didn't show that it wasn't safe - but US studies didn't confirm that it was safe ENOUGH.

I'm a little disturbed your doctor was unable to figure out that Diane's not approved in the US. It's as simple as checking a few common doctorly references! And that pharmacists at the various pharmacies didn't know either - even more odd!

Diane's status in the US may change, but until then, you can't get it legally in the states. The difficulty with ordering it online (without doc/prescription is that the quality can be questionable, as can be the ethics of the business that's selling it. The FDA has issued a warning about the quality of pharmaceuticals obtained in this fashion, and also about the risks.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/buyonline/faqs.html

:o)