Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LemonsAndLimes

Any advice? Seem to be out of options

Hi, I've read these forums for a while - some good advice and nice people so I decided to ask for a bit of help:)

Here's a bit of background:

I'm 21 and got acne when i was 15 or 16, it was fairly severe at times. Started off on the sides of my jaw, then left there and moved to around my mouth. During college (approx 1 year ago) I got a ton of little ones on my forehead...it was brutal. Over the years I've tried many things, mostly topical creams until a few months ago when I got minocycline. BP has been my main weapon, the doctor gave me some strong stuff and it dried my skin out way too much so I got pro-active and it took care of all the little zits on my forehead and helped vs the larger ones around my mouth. The pro-active and the mino have worked really well, typically I'll have clear skin except during those hot hot days at work where a few could get triggered.

As of right now I have acne around my mouth and on my fore head. The BP takes care of the stuff on my fore head pretty easily and limits them around my mouth while the mino seems to come in and take care of the rest that the BP can't handle.

My problem now is what do I do when I run out of mino this week. I've read about how taking the antibiotics over long periods of time can render them useless and I don't want to be stuck a few years from now with worse acne when it could have maybe cleared up by then on its own.

Accutane has come to mind pretty often, I'm just afraid of the side effects and of the initial break out - I'm very phobic about my acne, if it gets too bad I'll be housebound.

Basically I've got several options - Stop the mino and continue with pro-active until it hopefully clears, go on accutane and pray for only a small initial break out or see if the doctor has anything else to give me.

I personally... dont lyke accutane. Haha.. im lyke you .. the side effects && initial breakout scare the fcuk outta me.. but. If i were you.. id just go on taking the antibiotics && the proactiv... but. If youre afraid of getting immune to them.. grab a bottle of probiotics. That will add the good bacteria bakk into your body. && help w/ immunity and what not. I'm glad the proactiv works for you btw.. never did for me. But neways~ Try that.. good luck. Take care x3

Basically I've got several options - Stop the mino and continue with pro-active until it hopefully clears, go on accutane and pray for only a small initial break out or see if the doctor has anything else to give me.

That makes me feel a bit more confident about accutane. I went to the doctor a few days ago, he doubled my minocycline from 50 mg to 100 mg for two months - after that I will have been on it for 6 months all together, think that's probably long enough...hope he can give me accutane then. Is it possible to continue with BP once a day while on accutane? Want to make a nice transition, not just going from mild acne to bad to good:)

Yeah, as far as I know it's fine to use BP whilst on accutane. The only thing you should avoid is topicals such as tertracycline/topicycline. If you get accutane and your still unsure check with your derm.

If your doctor had read any of the many dermatology trade journals within the past several years, they would find out that the most important medicine for acne treatment is a topical retinoid. This is what you should have been on since the beginning of your acne treatment. Find someone who will get you on a treatment regimen more suited to the long-term treatment of acne....