Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fut

Generic Accutane - Worse Results than Roche?

I am not too sure about the results, but I've read somewhere that says people are more likely to suffer from severe side effects when using generic Accutane than the branded stuff. I'm not too sure if it's true, and hopefully someone would know more about this. Have you tried reading the FAQ at the top of this (Prescription acne medications) forum/topic? It may help answer your question.

The FDA claim that generic accutane is as safe and effective as the brand name drug (Roche) and that it is manufactured to the same high quality standards.

Additionally, the generic drug is identical to the brand name drug in dosage form, strength, route of administration, and most labeled uses.

It's unlikely that the FDA would have approved this drug if there was a greater risk of experiencing severe side effects with generic accutane than roche.

I asked my derm about this because I'm taking a generic- Amnesteem. He says there is no difference at all. He has seen the same results with the generic, without a higher occurance of side effects. He's treated a lot of patients with both the brand name and the generic. Plus, generic is cheaper! I'm all for saving money.

Generic Sotret has been a 5 dollar copay... sure I've gotten many of the more common side effects, but didn't get an initial breakout... but my main point is it's 5 BUCKS!!!

My first course with Accutane I used the brand name snice that was all that was available at the time. This time around I am using Amnesteem. I haven't noticed any difference between the two.

There will be no difference, its just a brand name. Accutane was the first one available, but isotretinoin (the actual ingredient) is the same whether one company or another produces it.