Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuardedlyOptimistic

ACNE IS A DISEASE THAT YOU MUST MANAGE

Hey Guys,

Well, I went to see a surgeon today that specializes in acne scarring, acne and ALA. He told me that acne is an ongoing skin disease that can resolve itself at anytime but one should be aware and aggressive in treating it or keeping the lesions at bay. The goal is to prevent scarring by using any method possible. He said that 60 percent of people that do ALA have 90 percent success. Ok, he said it's not a cure but that over 90 percent of people respond to the treatment. He said that 6 of his patients didn't respond to either accutane or ALA. I feel for them so much. He also said that you can do ALA immediately after accutane and that you must wait 5 days after ceasing any topicals. With this said, I will try ALA but I will try to wait a little while. I'm going to wait till January. He also said that it's important to get sunlight, hinting that acne is more prominent in climates that aren't conducive to much sunlight. Maybe vitamin D comes into play? Well, i'm tired of speculating. This diet, that diet. Though I will be drinking lots of lemon water, one can just become spent on trying to figure out the reasons. Who knows? I hope one day we will. Secondly, he said that ALA is the best thing out there and that accutane is given in the hopes that a person will "outgrow" the acne and that it works as a "cure" to people that are using it in their teens because they will likely outgrow it by the time they're 20. Basically, accutane buys time?Well, this was not the case with me. He ruled out PCOS too. So, what is it then? I just don't know. But, i'm not going to suffer in silence while trying to figure it all out. I will do the ALA, as I said, in January. I will continue using my topicals and if need be, I will use the accutane if it gets really bad again.

Well, there's the report smile.gif

Please message me, i'd love to hear from you.

How did he rule out PCOS? I ask because my Derm didn't think I had hormonal acne and it turns out I have 3 fucking cysts and they may be cancer and he was fucking wrong! Sorry, but I am in my angry stage of the whole acceptance process. I am just telling you that you may have ovarian cysts and not know it; they are very common and unless you get your hormone levels tested, or better yet, an ultrasound, he can't possibly know- he is an idiot.

(rant over, but I hope you get your hormone levels tested, and find a damn derm that knows you need to do that, unless he has; in which case, ignore my rantings. wink.gif )

EDIT:I make so many typos when I am mad and type fast!

Ems, i'm so sorry. Please talk to me. Message me.

I got an ultarsound done and nothing came up. My family dr. also sent me for FSH, LH, TSH tests and nothing came back abnormal? sad.gif

So, PCOS has been ruled out. THough, cuz I gained so much weight, it's the only diagnosis that could make sense.

Ems, i'm so sorry. Please talk to me. Message me.

I got an ultarsound done and nothing came up. My family dr. also sent me for FSH, LH, TSH tests and nothing came back abnormal? sad.gif

So, PCOS has been ruled out. THough, cuz I gained so much weight, it's the only diagnosis that could make sense.

I asked to see an endocrinologist and the Dr said no as all the preliminary hormones tests came back "normal". Thyroid may be the problem or the adrenal glands which are hypersensitive and causing too much cortisol. Do you know a lot about the Thyroid? Could you refresh my memory as to how this might affect acne? Diabetes would have shown up on all my tests done during accutane right? So, maybe if i'm prone to get it, it's only developing. I probably do have insulin insensitivity but not full blown PCOS. Maybe you can have this insulin problem regardless.

Please message me as i'd love to talk to you smile.gif

Be careful trusting too much of what the guy says that's trying to sell you the ALA treatment. I mean as far as it being "the best" or whatnot. We all know that acne is not that clearcut.

As far as being tired of trying to figure out a dietary cause, i'm right with you. Acne runs in my family - it's not my diet. I'm firmly convinced that the root cause for me is hyperkeratinization. I can make my acne worse if i eat shrimp, but avoiding shrimp certainly doesn't clear me. I've gone through periods of eating very healthy, been a vegetarian for a while, restricted various things, never been clear from anything but Accutane, although Yasmin has surprisingly helped a lot for what's on my face. Unfortunately not so much for my chest and back. Is there some reason you are opposed to doing another course of Accutane? The chances of remission greatly increase on subsequent courses.

Hey,

I have no opposition to doing another course. My derm won't let me. So, I have to look for alternative treatments.

Take care smile.gif

Be careful trusting too much of what the guy says that's trying to sell you the ALA treatment.  I mean as far as it being "the best" or whatnot.  We all know that acne is not that clearcut.

As far as being tired of trying to figure out a dietary cause, i'm right with you.  Acne runs in my family - it's not my diet.  I'm firmly convinced that the root cause for me is hyperkeratinization.  I can make my acne worse if i eat shrimp, but avoiding shrimp certainly doesn't clear me.  I've gone through periods of eating very healthy, been a vegetarian for a while, restricted various things, never been clear from anything but Accutane, although Yasmin has surprisingly helped a lot for what's on my face.  Unfortunately not so much for my chest and back.  Is there some reason you are opposed to doing another course of Accutane?  The chances of remission greatly increase on subsequent courses.

Hey GO, that's awesome you decided to go with the ALA. If my acne starts coming back to a point I'm really bothered by it, I think I will definitely try ALA. I'm wondering, did the doctor tell you whether ALA works better for severe acne? And if you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you? Does it work to even out the skin tone as well, or just stop breakouts? I haven't heard of it in BC, all the media coverage is in Ontario so I wouldn't even know where to go here.

In the meantime, I've found that traditional topicals are working really well post-Tane. As you know I've been using Proactiv again, and it's been really great. Hopefully my skin tone will just keep evening out to the point I don't need ALA in the future. Who knows...

Keep in touch!

Mae

Emma: I am so sorry about the ovarian cysts... I understand you must be going through a really hard time right now. If you need anyone else to talk to, you know I'm always here.

wub.gif Mae

She said that she would never give accutane for someone with only 5 lesions.

I have no opposition to doing another course. My derm won't let me. So, I have to look for alternative treatments.

Why won't your derm let you?

Hey girlie,

The surgeon says that it may work on cystic acne but that it would work better on non cystic acne just because the cysts don't allow the solution to reach the sebaceous glands. It would cost around the cost of a course of accutane, about 1000 bucks. I don't think they said anything about skin tone, though i've seen pics and it looks to help redness in the longrun. I'm going to a guy in New York City and he's pretty familiar with the whole process from what i've read. I think i'm going to buy proactiv today. I'd been using retin A for a month and I think this has caused my breakouts. I've stopped using it for 3 days and i'm not getting any new lesions. This is incredible. The only problem is that my scars were looking better with the Retin A. So, maybe i'll just apply it to the areas where the scars are the worst and not all over my face as I was doing before.

Take care,

Write soon,

Luv,

GO

Hey GO, that's awesome you decided to go with the ALA. If my acne starts coming back to a point I'm really bothered by it, I think I will definitely try ALA. I'm wondering, did the doctor tell you whether ALA works better for severe acne? And if you don't mind me asking, how much is it costing you? Does it work to even out the skin tone as well, or just stop breakouts? I haven't heard of it in BC, all the media coverage is in Ontario so I wouldn't even know where to go here.

In the meantime, I've found that traditional topicals are working really well post-Tane. As you know I've been using Proactiv again, and it's been really great. Hopefully my skin tone will just keep evening out to the point I don't need ALA in the future. Who knows...

Keep in touch!

Mae

Hey GO,

I looked into ALA before I decided to do accutane. The lady I went to told me that I would look like a burn victim for at least 3 weeks after the treatment, that my skin would scab up significantly and would eventually peel off. I don't know if your doctor does the treatment the same way, but from how she explained it, it sounded pretty intense. If this is the way the treatment is, I can't imagine it would be ok to undergo it so soon after accutane.

I too have thought that my acne was hormonal. But every damn doctor I've been to refuses that it is without even doing an ultrasound. The next time I go in later this month, I'm going to demand one. I have another symptom too that indicates I might have a hormonal problem but my doctors always tell me I'm "normal". Well, one doctor said that she thought it was hormonal and put me on spironolactone, it helped but it didn't eliminate my acne. I still kept getting occassional cysts just before my period.

It's interesting you mentioned thyroid, my mother has a thyroid problem (she was diagnosed w/ a hyperthyroid several years ago and almost died from it). She always had persistent acne too, but mostly on her back, not her face so much. When she started her thyroid meds, her acne problems went away. So I went in for a blood test to test my thyroid, I SWEAR! I had to demand for it. Doctors are always so quick to dismiss concerns and possible causes for things. Well, I made them take my blood and ran some tests and my tests came out kind of close to being out of range, on the hyper side. So I need to go back in every 6 months to monitor it. An over active or underactive thyroid can definitely affect many of your body's processes, and can definitely cause acne. It also effects your eyes (giving a "bug-out" effect) and brittle hair if the thyroid is over-active. My eyes aren't effected, but I've always had problems w/ my hair and I lose weight easily. My mother's doctor advised me to get tested.

I will definitely be following this thread from here on. Good Luck G.O., and I hope you find the solution to this!

P.S. Your avatar kind of looks like my mom when she was young. Very pretty!

Hey Lexy,

Thanks for the kind words. smile.gif I hope you continue to do well smile.gif The avatar pic isn't me. It's an actress. LOL. But, we do share similar looks hence why she's up there and my friends say i kinda of look like her. So, you didn't do the ALA? Did you do the accutane instead?

Lady: ALA is a mix of blue light and photosensitive acid. It's a treatment that is supposed to clear acne. There is a thread that you can check out.

Hey Lexy,

Thanks for the kind words. smile.gif I hope you continue to do well smile.gif The avatar pic isn't me. It's an actress. LOL. But, we do share similar looks hence why she's up there and my friends say i kinda of look like her. So, you didn't do the ALA? Did you do the accutane instead?

Lady: ALA is a mix of blue light and photosensitive acid. It's a treatment that is supposed to clear acne. There is a thread that you can check out.