Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest jollajolla

Best Tip My Esthetician Told Me

Guest jollajolla

I was galumphing around the house one morning, moaning about my skin. Luckily, I'd scheduled an appointment with my new esthetician, (the other one retired) but I was a bit nervous. Would they fuck up my face?

Most of us must go through this anxiety. Mine included a lot of woefull glances to the mirror, mostly worried about what my school picture would look like with a sqeezed out face, red and scaly looking.

Ba-da-bum, go figure, turns out she was great. Her daughter suffered from an extreme case of eczema which prompted her to specialize in skincare, namely, esthetics. She said the one thing she wanted me to get out of all of her talking was to wear a daily sun protectant, with an SPF of at least 15.

Naturally, I'd been a bit of a soft ass when it comes to sunscreen. It's gross, it makes me break out, why the hell should I bother?

AHA!

She explained that after winter rolls around, our tans from summer begin to slough off, causing us to break out. I know I'm not explaining this as best as she did, but that's the general idea. Eureka, I said, thrusting my fist in the air. And she gave me this sunscreen, which is, by far, something that I cannot rave enough about. I know I put it off for so long--hell, I'm still a kid. I can get away with it, right? Deep down, of course, I know I'd eventually have to get around to snapping my ass back into shape and take better care to protect my skin.

I can just see you rolling your eyes right now. But if not for your acne, do it for wrinkles.

I cannot recommend this product enough: Revision Sun Protectant SPF 30.

user posted image

I don’t wont to put a damper on you or any thing, but I’ve heard the sun block might cause cancer I don’t know if that is true but I have heard if from different people. Please not think that I wont to cause a damper or anything that is just something that I’ve heard.

usually sunscreens are loaded with a bunch of chemicals and crap that you don't want to absorb into your bloodstream. it's better to stick to natural sunscreens like coconut oil.

lol, sun screen will give u cancer... what doesn't these days ffs... and hey, u don't wear the sun screen and guess what... u get skin cancer... it's a win win situation! eusa_clap.gif

lol, sun screen will give u cancer... what doesn't these days ffs... and hey, u don't wear the sun screen and guess what... u get skin cancer... it's a win win situation! eusa_clap.gif

Guest jollajolla

Okay, most sun screens are totally unsafe. For one, they are filled with preservatives that do bad things once the sun's radiation hits them, and for two they encourage you to ignore your very real physical limitations and expose yourself longer than is safe for your skin.

Now, the sun does NOT create skin cancer! skin cells only live 30 days, so the sunburn we got when we were 12 in no way can translate into melanoma when we're 60! No, skin cancer is due to an acidic body - INTERNAL problems not external.

But you don't want to burn your skin, and you want to have fun, so here's my advice:

drink lots and lots of fluids. If you indulge in one alcoholic beverage, drink two more non-alcoholic.

Use lots of extra-virgin coconut oil directly on your skin and also in your diet - just eat it off the spoon. Aloe vera based moisturizers are also good, as are avocado. Bring fish oil capsules and take those every day. People who burn very easily are lacking EFA's in their diet.

Use a parasol and/or a very big hat like a straw panama hat. www.travelsmith.com has excellent hats that you can actually pack in a suitcase without ruining them.

Wear thin, light, white cotton or linen or silk covering your entire body from noon until 2:00 pm at the very least. Think Lawrence of Arabia. Travelsmith has fantastically light and breezy fashions for this too.

DO be sure to bring apple cider vinegar with you. Just soak a paper towel and apply to hot skin, it will cool it and take away sunburn pain.

Bring one sunscreen with you that is rated about 30 and use only on the days you intend to be out for a couple hours around noon-twoish, the worst part of the day for sunburn.

Hope that helps smile.gif

http://www.askshelley.com/forum/viewtopic....light=sunscreen

SunScreen doesn't 'cause cancer, or hurt you, or anything like that. I live in the florida keys, and I need to wear sunscreen every day. Nothing happens.

I guess it would hurt your face, though, as far as acne is concerned.

it's better to stick to natural sunscreens like coconut oil.

I did not know about coconut oil. Does it work good? I use baby oil one time and I got so burnt! I've been looking of a good sun screen that wont give you cancer.