Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taesa

Weaning Myself Off Triclosan

Hi guys! I'm coming back to acne.org after about a year on the Regimen, and I've had great results. I have a question for anyone who's ever used a cleanser with triclosan.

Here's the deal. I've found Noxzema's Oil-free Triple Clean Antibacterial Lathering Cleanser works very well on my skin. I know it's not officially Regimen-approved, because it's not just a plain ol' cleanser. It contains triclosan, which is a common antibacterial ingredient in soaps/cleansers, and it seems to help stop breakouts before they begin. My personal regimen is simple: wash with the Triple Clean, apply the BP, and moisturize.

Anyway, I've been using that for maybe eight or nine months, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it. Triclosan is sort of scary. I researched it and found a lot of differing opinions in a variety of studies on its effects. Some say that bacteria can't develop a resistance to it, because of the way it destroys the bacterial cell wall. Others disagree; some researchers believe that its overuse could lead to triclosan-resistant superbugs.

I for one don't want to kill every single bacterium that comes my way. My immune system would suck if it wasn't exposed to a variety of bugs everyday; I'd much rather develop a healthy immunity than live in a sterile bubble. However, I could definitely do without the P. acnes on my face. Hence the dilemma.

Anyway, it'd probably be a good idea to wean myself off and try a cleanser that isn't scary. But everytime I try to get back on a gentle cleanser, like Liquid Neutrogena or Cetaphil, I feel a huge breakout coming on. Then I go right back to the Triple Clean and it clears right up. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Anybody ever kicked a triclosan habit before? Do you guys think triclosan is all that bad? What to do? Should I just get rid of the Triple Clean completely and just tough it out?

I have also researched triclosan and found it to not have any bad side effects and most likely you do not have to worry about any super bugs. Your face, unlike you internal system does not really need good (or any for that matter) bacteria. If that is what works best for you I would not stop using it.

Guest Tempest

I for one don't want to kill every single bacterium that comes my way. My immune system would suck if it wasn't exposed to a variety of bugs everyday; I'd much rather develop a healthy immunity than live in a sterile bubble. However, I could definitely do without the P. acnes on my face. Hence the dilemma.