Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peachy_D225

For those who have QUIT antibiotics..

Hi, I've been taking doxycycline 2 times a day for a little over a year with great results. I've decided to cut down to once a day, and if that works out, I'll stop completely. My question: for those who have taken antibiotics long term, did your acne come back? If so, how much time passed before it did? Thanks smile.gif

Hello - I was taking Dynacin, for about 2 months. It actually worked pretty well on in getting rid of my cysts... of course the small ones still hung out on my face. But I had to stop the anti about a month ago for a reason and since then the cysts have not reappeared. YET anyway. I may go back on them shortly just because the Dynacin worked so well.

Hope this helps

Was on mino for bout six months and acne started clearing but then towards the end I still wasn't happy and still got a lot of spots. Went straight on erythro for 6 months. Same thing happened. Also both times my skin was taking for ever to heal and I was still getting spots.

Decided to stop antibiotics completely and started drinking green tea, taking zinc, changing shaving habits etc. Even though I would get the odd spot I felt really good bout my skin. This lasted about 4 months.

My skin since then has become bad again and am prob gonna go back on accutane which I took many many years ago.

Took it for 5 months, it was working well but came back the 4th month. I was on Minocyline.

i lasted like 6 to 7 months on minocycline or some generic but it came back and i just switched antibiotics because my body got used to minocycline. BTW i was clear while on minocycline, still am pretty clear.

I was on mino, doxy, and tetracycline at different times for about a year and a half. I got off them this past April (as I like to say, about a year and a half too late cool.gif)

In my experience, my acne came back at about the same level, maybe a little worse but not too much. If I had stayed on them much longer then they probably would have made my skin progressively worse. This is the case with most antibiotics users (unless you're lucky, or if you're on something hardcore like tane), because, especially after prolonged use, the acne-causing bacteria mutate in responce to the antibiotic. They become more resistent and harder to control.

If you're going off it, believe me it's the best thing to do because antibiotics can be dangerous. Just put some 2.5% benzoyl peroxide on your problem areas followed by moisturizer twice a day and you should be ok. That's what I've been doing and my skin has been quite well.

Good luck my friend!

i took tetracycline and all it did was make me vomit and gave me a candida infection...didn't help really with the acne sad.gif

I was on mino, doxy, and tetracycline at different times for about a year and a half. I got off them this past April (as I like to say, about a year and a half too late  cool.gif)

In my experience, my acne came back at about the same level, maybe a little worse but not too much. If I had stayed on them much longer then they probably would have made my skin progressively worse. This is the case with most antibiotics users (unless you're lucky, or if you're on something hardcore like tane), because, especially after prolonged use, the acne-causing bacteria mutate in responce to the antibiotic. They become more resistent and harder to control.

If you're going off it, believe me it's the best thing to do because antibiotics can be dangerous. Just put some 2.5% benzoyl peroxide on your problem areas followed by moisturizer twice a day and you should be ok. That's what I've been doing and my skin has been quite well.

Good luck my friend!

I was on mino, doxy, and tetracycline at different times for about a year and a half. I got off them this past April (as I like to say, about a year and a half too late  cool.gif)

Good luck my friend!

Yeah.. but.. if your lyke me.. I CANT USE BP~ ! AT ALL! its quite said.. because i kno the stuff works.. && thats y i take probiotics. Thats supposed to help right....?

mino worked for about 1 year, dr suggest i quit and cut back to 1 50mg pill for 2 weeks. my acne got worse and never got better.

i continued another 2 years and then noticed blue inside my mouth, that got darker after another 6months and my teeth had a greyish look, so i just quit about 10 days ago.

thought my face couldnt get any worse but it has, next ill try roaccutane.

ive been on Tetracycline for 5 months straight and it did wonders....How ever the last 3 months or so iv'e been taking my pills religiously and it seems the acne is kinda comming back on my face....But my back is terrible!!!!!! I never had bacne before I started antibiotics.

But still it's better than having acne on the face.

I took Minocycline for a period of 3 months (this was a few years ago, now) and it worked great for about 7 months total. My acne did come back, and worse, it came back a lot more cystic. Just my experience though, everyone is different! I'm happy to hear you are cutting back on the antibiotics, since we all know it's dangerous to take them long-term. Good luck!!

Mae

Probiotics are supposed to help your body from becoming too messed up from the antibiotics. I'm not saying it will stop the acne from coming back, but it will put the good bacteria back into your body and keep your immune system from getting too run down.

Probiotics are supposed to help your body from becoming too messed up from the antibiotics. I'm not saying it will stop the acne from coming back, but it will put the good bacteria back into your body and keep your immune system from getting too run down.

I had acne from when I was about 14 until I was 19 when I went on Doxycycline for 3 months and started taking Diane 35 oral contraceptive. This cleared my acne I would occasionaly get a spot here or there but nothing to worry about. About 1 1/2 years later I stopped taking Diane 35 and my skin slowly got oilier and more and more pimples until it was full blown acne again including some cystic acne.

I went back on Diane 35 but this didn't help so I did another course of Doxy for 3 months and this seemed to clear me again. It has now been over a year since I have been clear, still on Diane 35. Still get spots on my chin and occasionally on my forehead which seem to be really stubborn. Just hoping the acne doesn't come back again.

I was on Mino for about 10 full months. Quit just over a month ago. Have only had two 'zits' since then. (Had a few small whiteheads, but I don't count them because they are average enough for most people.) Keeping my fingers crossed, but hopefully the acne will stay away.

well i was on like 5 different types of antibiotics... can't remember the names of em but i kept upping to a higher one after the last sorta... so i never finished one and went straight off... except for the last of course which was bactrim. and yeh, it came back like a month after.

i was on adoxa for 4 months along with a BCP, differin, and clindamycin. it worked so well that i stopped taking the adoxa (100mg 2x day) and continued with just the differin, clindamycin, and BCP and i am still wonderfully clear. i still get the occasional small pimple like once a week but its tiny and goes away. i have a little scarring and red marks which can be covered by makeup but other than that i am clear! so in answer to your question- antibiotics worked wonders for me and now im off them the acne hasn't come back but that could be due to the other things im using.

i was on adoxa for 4 months along with a BCP, differin, and clindamycin. it worked so well that i stopped taking the adoxa (100mg 2x day) and continued with just the differin, clindamycin, and BCP and i am still wonderfully clear. i still get the occasional small pimple like once a week but its tiny and goes away. i have a little scarring and red marks which can be covered by makeup but other than that i am clear! so in answer to your question- antibiotics worked wonders for me and now im off them the acne hasn't come back but that could be due to the other things im using.

I've never taken a probiotic supplement, but I almost always have a cup of yogurt everyday.  Does anyone know if this has enough "good bacteria" in it, or should I be taking a pill?  Thanks smile.gif