Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alz

My Accutane Experience

Accutane works.

Atleast for me it has so amazingly so far. 7 weeks in and my skin is completely flat, just awaiting the red marks to fade away. I had moderate to severe acne about 2 months ago. So even though some people will still consider it bad, I feel so much better - it's all down, maybe 1 or 2 active pimples which is NOTHING for me.. it's great. It was bad, very very bad - atleast I thought it was.

So one day out of the blue, I go to the derm, they do blood tests that day, I come back the next and I have a prescription for Accutane (20mg). It was that bad, I didn't have to go through the usual test of multiple antibiotics, this is NY though so I don't know if there are differences in policies in different states. Of course my health insurance opted for a generic brand confused.gif (Sotret) but not much difference. I went in to check my prescription for the 3rd month yesterday and silly me they saw my cholesterol levels fly up, I ATE ON THE DAY OF THE BLOOD TESTS!! Brrr.. they told me the first month but didn't remind me again sad.gif. So I went in today for another set of blood and should get it back in Monday, today is my last pill. So no tane for the weekend, bah.

As for the side effects, personally all I have seen is dryness, alot of it. The derm I spoke to said that their have been 'known' to be cases of depression but I mean you should be happy your on tane and that its GOING to work on you. And notice, I have been on 20mg all the time, and I personally thought I was severe.

So thats my testimonial, I don't want to change anyones mind or anything just to say my 2 cents.

Oh and with the Accutane I have been on;

Cetaphil Cleanser

BP 5%

SPF15 Redness Relief <-- helps to cover alot of stuff up + it's the sunblock remember your skin will be EXTRA sensitive..

So any comments PLEASE POST!

//alz wacko.gifwacko.gif

Hi Alz

Did you experience much of an initial flare up on the 20mg?

(Glad to hear its going well for you)

Hi Alz

Did you experience much of an initial flare up on the 20mg?

(Glad to hear its going well for you)

I'm on day 8 today and I have not seen an inital flare up either. Also no dry ness, sunburns or anything and I went swimming today in the 95 degree sun without sunscreen and did not get red at all. I'm sure its still not good, but I was suprised I didn't get like any red at all. I am also on 20mg and on Amnesteem. I'm glad its working for you though! Hopefully it works for me that quick as well!