Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey just started accutane a week ago and am on 80mg is this a high dosage to begin wth???

im a 20 yo girl with mild acne but lets face it im a little vain so the derm recommended accutane. my skin is flaking off already my lips are sooooooooo dry and this is the first time ive ever had headaches.

just hoping for some feedback from fellow sufferers.

at the moment im trying to break the land speed record for time taking roaccutane, by my calculations at about 50kg i should be done in 2.5 months- is this possible?

ok i've decided im going to try and keep a little bit of a journal as an outlet to my obsession with accutane at the moment- all my friend's have heard more than enough about it.

ill give you all a run down of how its going.

this is actually day 8 on accutane. as i said im on quite a high dose for my size but i'm determined to grin and bear it because i just want acne out of my life finally.

as i said earlier i don't have really bad acne but my mum is a princess and she thinks what i have is somehow a sign of uncleanliness. ACNE IS NOT A RESULT OF POOR HYGEINE.

i got my first pimple at 11 and have since tried the topical treatments, the antibiotics none of which made any difference- absolutely none. although the skin on my face seemed to be getting a little better i recently, for the first time, had explosions of pimples on my lower back (a really skanky look) and chest area (my boyfriend asked if it was shingles and if he could catch them!). so it was time to take action. i was given a last ditch course of antibiotics which again did NOTHING.

i went to a derm and the legend asked me after a brief inspection of my face "how much do you hate it"

"ALOT"

to which he replied "then we're in business"

can't say the list of side effects don't freak me out but i'm so far really optimistic about this. i really believe it will work for me, i don't know why.

so that's the catch up story.

now it's day eight and my face seems to be falling off in dry flakes especially around my nose. my lips are really really dry but im a girly girl so lip balms are always close at hand. however even this is not enough- my bottom lip has swelled to angelina joplie size proportions- literally. this im not really complaining about. and i've always had really soft smooth skin in every other part of my body but now its gross and flaky ewww.

i can't lie i find this really encouraging! it means finally something is actaully effecting my body! i just hope the outcome is the desired one. an acne-free existence!

however, i am definately feeling the temptation to reclusiveness. i broke up with my boyfriend of almost a year on sunday and i'm feeling really positive about that too, he was a mr big type character and it just wasn't working out. however, i work with him so im really nervous about him having to see me in this state, flaky and red. and to top it off i can't wear contacts because my eyes have been dry so i look close to hideous (NO WAXING!!!). oh well. i also said i wouldnt watch a movie with him because i didn't want him to look at me close up...i just hope he doesn't think i'm avoiding him because i really want to be friends.

i'm trying to establish if i may be embarking on my breakout period this early into the piece due to the high dosage..... my skin is now worse than its ever been, though admitedly not unbearable) its red and sore in places and every day there is one or two whiteheads. i hardly ever ever get those. im hoping desperately it is.

please give me any feedback i really want to talk to people about this who have been in the same boat or are in it now.

yes, what you are going through is completely normal. In fact, it's good, beause it means that it is working already. I don't know how good it is to start out with such a high dose though, because you are more likely to have a worse initial breakout. I got put on 80 mg in my 3rd month, and I was lucky to only have a very small breakout. But I must say, that you are in for the ride of your life. I would recommend taking a fish ol supplement, because it is supposed to counteract joint an muscle soreness that most experiece, and it also helps keep your lipd levels under control while tane is making them rise. Also, stock up on the water and ibuprofen capsules for headaches. I used to get them really bad, and sometimes i get one every now and then- but I found they became better when I got used to the medcine more.

Most of all, just relax, and enjoy the ride!!! By the end of your course your skin is going to be much better. You should keep a log in the personal regimen logs section, it kind of helps the time pass faster. You can also check out my log there- it has a bunch more info of what am going through.

Best of Luck!!!

yeah i completely agree about the dosage. definately a little uncomfortable with it but i'm quite impatient and can't resist the temptation that the whole thing may be over sooner.

but yeah would definately like to keep a log i think its ten times better than boring everyone around me. at least here i may get some useful feedback!

im on my tenth day now and im soooooo dry i keep a moisturiser with me all the time. especially between my nose and upper lip- im scalier than a fish. yuck! lips are very dry even vaseline doesnt do that good a job. carmex- a cold sore cream- is helping though. other than that i went out on the weekend because i figured my skin may only get worse for a while.

not much to say other than than that so far!

yeah i completely agree about the dosage. definately a little uncomfortable with it but i'm quite impatient and can't resist the temptation that the whole thing may be over sooner.

but yeah would definately like to keep a log i think its ten times better than boring everyone around me. at least here i may get some useful feedback!

im on my tenth day now and im soooooo dry i keep a moisturiser with me all the time. especially between my nose and upper lip- im scalier than a fish. yuck! lips are very dry even vaseline doesnt do that good a job. carmex- a cold sore cream- is helping though. other than that i went out on the weekend because i figured my skin may only get worse for a while.

not much to say other than than that so far!

that is normal... u might wanna find a good lip balm and a good moisturizer like cetaphil that won't break u out.

im surprised they put you on 80mg, i think i have severe acne and they started me at 40mg. Maybe after the 2nd month they will increase but I've already responded. Good luck with it.

what is this fish oil supplement that you're talking about cindy/anyone? i do feel some pain in my joints after running

I use aquaphor for lips and my face morning & night. definitly keep it handy when working or out and about. cindy is right about the water and ibuprofens. doc said everyday you need 8 glasses of water and 8 hours of sleep! can you believe that?

im surprised they put you on 80mg, i think i have severe acne and they started me at 40mg. Maybe after the 2nd month they will increase but I've already responded. Good luck with it.

what is this fish oil supplement that you're talking about cindy/anyone? i do feel some pain in my joints after running

I use aquaphor for lips and my face morning & night. definitly keep it handy when working or out and about. cindy is right about the water and ibuprofens. doc said everyday you need  8 glasses of water and 8 hours of sleep! can you believe that?

thanks for your support guys!

8hrs of sleep??? at the moment i have to lug myself out of bed after 12hrs its a little bit much so i think ill ask the pharmacist about any vitmains i can take without interrupting the accutane.

i recant my earlier thoughts about having broken out, i think its still to come. my main issue is the lips their split at the sides and it hurts to smile cry.gif i can definately feel that my body has been seiged by accutane. it amazes me how an imbalance in just one vitamin has such far reachign and devastating effects to the body. makes you really appreciate your health.

at the moment i'm really nervous because i have at least 1 21st every weekend for the next month and a half and next weeked is the law ball and im wearing avery revealing dress. hope i dont breakout on my back and chest. it would be unbelievably bad- i dotn know what id do, wearing the dress would be out of the question. i've also decided to take up salsa dancing and my main concern there is that my partner, whom i also have a littel crush on wub.gif , will be so close to my face that he'lll see the yucky dryness between my nose and upper lip. not sexy.

you are completely right about the water it helps almost immediately with the headaches. thank god.

about the venture to the gym for the first time since i started accutane so hoping for not too much pain tomorrow.

LV Boy- i read your blog, glad to hear your recovering fast- could i ask how much you weigh? as i said i wiegh 50kg which was my main concern about the dosage!

quick and vital question

i know that accutane increases the effects of alcohol but some of the loggers here seem to suggest that you can't drink alcohol at all!!!

is this correct- is it yet another beautiful side effect?

please someone let me know!

thanks

Your liver would also be put under more strain with alcohol and I havent noticed accutane increasing its effect, so basically your bloods will come back worse if you drink as your liver cannot function as well. You can drink, just make sure you dont overwork your liver, thats all!

Good luck at all the parties, wear the dress anyway; you cant let acne stop you from doing anyting! Thats what Ive learnt!

Vanessa xxx wink.gif

Hey there AA. Everyone has a different take on the alcohol situation. First of all, this is my second time on Accutane with a different derm, and neither of them ever warned me about alochol. I did my research though, and I knew that it was best to take it easy. I've read about some people who drink quite a bit and never have a problem. Others will see it on their next blood test, it's very individual. I take Milk Thistle for my liver while on Accutane, especially because I do have a few drinks on a weekly basis. About 5 days before my blood test I will not have a drop though. And my lab results always come back fine.

A lot of people notice that they get drunk a lot more quickly while on Accutane, so if you are going to drink, pay attention to your body and don't go too fast. I know some would recommend to not drink at ALL, but done in moderation, I think it's alright.

Beth

DAY 17; 1,360 mg of ACCUTANE TAKEN

Thanks for your replies!

i'm definately not a drinker but at the moment i've got at least one 21st every weekend so drinks are inevitable.

on the skin front- skin between my lips and nose is really dry. there are even soem spots of dried blood. resorted to putting lip balm on it while home...beautiful look. considering calling my salsa partner and tellign him why my skin's dry rather than have him stare at me. don't know what ill do.

but on the upside teh other skin around my cheekebones especially look fantastic!!! i've never had many issue with acne in that area so i guess its just regenerating. in general no visible acne at the moment just the dryness.

went to the gym on friday and felt no pain yesterday! yay. will be walking today also.

can't wait for this to be over.....starting to get really irritated at having to take the accutane in 4 separate doses. although it is a bit of a ritual eusa_boohoo.gif feeling a little sorry for myself today so sorry about the sad message

quick question...im a bit of a squeezer- how bad is this? my dermatologist didnt warn against it though i did read it in the accutane brouchure thing i got. it also said not to pick of flaky skin...guilty of that too.

will i go to accutane hell for my transgressions???

and to everyone who thought a little exfoliation might do them some good, i did a tiny bit on my back and it now feels like its grazed. you have all been warned. eusa_doh.gif

Right; DONT SQEEZE! It leads to scars and makes the spots more sore! If you shower and the top knocks off, then sqeezing is OK as long as you stop when you're supposed to but I started picking and it made my skin sooo much worse. It aslo spread the bacteria so your skin may take longer to clear.

Try exfoliate with baking powder made into a paste if you already havent?? Much gentler.

Using tweezers to help off skin that is alreay mostly off is fine but don't overdo it though.

Good luck

Vanessa wink.gif

hey everyone

sorry its been so long had some dramas with the connection.

okay so first thing- if anyone remembers my initial concern as to the amount of the dosage of 80mg when im only 50kg. turns out the dermatologist has poor handwriting and so in fact i was supposed to be taking 20mg. after recovering from the shock of the mistake the derm said i was doing fine but that the blood tests had to be doen super quickly. seems everything is ok as no word from the dermatologist.

according to my calculations i need to go through 6.5 boxes of 60 tablets to finish the course of accutane. the derm says i have to take 150mg per kg. so far im at nearly 2.5 boxes so i should be finished in a little over 2 months! very excited

in terms of side effects everythign had calmed down until- against all recommendations i decided to squeeze out a juicy blackhead on my nose. on thing led to another and i had no skin on my nose at all. looked like i had fallen on my face like a preschooler! argh teh embarressment. so i had to buy my first bottle of concealer to try and remedy the damage.

also i cant scratch myself at all- because of my fragiel skin and long nails- my whole body feels liek its grazed. so sad. especially when one of the things im known for is soft smooth skin (everywhere but my face hehehe). just wanted to know does anyone think the accutane will ruin the rest of my skin- is it possible that the excess oil that made my fae yucky was the same thing that made everything else nice???

starting to feel unsure about this medication.

still no major breakouts a few pimples everyday but nothing liek the hermit -inducing state i expected to be in. but its early days yet i guess.

another FUN side effect was that on monday morning i was unabel to open my eyes because they were so dry. i had to get my mum to drive me to the pharmacy and get super strength eye drops. so now i've finally had to give up on wearing contatcts and embrace wearing glasses - and yyou all know what they say about girls who wear glasses.

however on a positive note. i read a psych study today that said one of the most definative attributes in deciding whether a person is attractive or not is their skin. so at the end we will all have perfect skin and be that much more attractive than we already are biggrin.gif

hey lafesta thanks for your support- i'll definately keep it up. i need all the support i can get.

to be honest i feel like a bit of a monster with the dodgey skin, unwaxed self, glasses, and papery lips. half my friends think im insane for staying on this stuff and the other think i should soldier on.

but opening up for advice again- im getting 3 wisdom teeth removed in 3 weeks. the dentist said that im on accutane is no issue but does anyone know if there are any issues associated with this? ie longer healign time ?

also noticed some discolouration on my jawline, i have tanned skin so its somewhat obvious. is it possible that this was here all along and i never noticed or could this also be due to accutane?

feeling a bit low at the moment....... eusa_boohoo.gif

just finished day 42! that means 3360mg of accutane is in my system already. almost half way there and its the only thing keeping me going. had a mini breakout about 6 whiteheads more than i usually get at one time but lesss than i was expecting. i managed for the first time in my life not to squeeze or pick at them! and two are already gone.

on the i hate accutane side- a friend said she could get me a great discount at a laser hair removal clinic but i can't do it till next may- not sure if ill still get the great price then.

accutane is pretty much all i think about at the moment. its sad the amount i tell everyone about it each day and how often im reading this message board instead of doing my uni work- which i really cant affford to do!

the time i dotn spend thinking about accutane i think about my ex-boyfriend; i was so much quicker to dump him then i should have been because i was so caught up in starting accutane. at the time i didnt think i could handle having someone physically close to me while my body fell apart and that i didnt have to start taking the pill. so stupid of me. and now he's so over me and i cant take it back. and worse i dotn even look as bad as i thought i would- i feel ugly as all hell but nothign liek the puss museum i was told to expect. anyway thats enough whinging from me i have to go to bed.

sorry to be so depressing

promise to be more positive next time

just finished my third box of accutane!!!

almost halfway- i think im supposed to get through 6.5 boxes. which is encouraging. but im starting to get really emotional. before starting roaccutane i had not cried in 2yrs. now i cry all the time. although i broke up with my boyfriend about the same time as starting the accutane its not usually something i would cry about. and to add more supporting evidence i have cried in every movie i have watched in the last week whether out of joy or sadness. this includes- mean girls (teh scene where she has to eat her lunch in a toilet cubicle), a cinderella story and raise your voice. these are not quality movies. (on teh subject of why i watched them at all - i have a ten year old sister). i am usually a very happy person. also it could be uni pressure it is assessment time, which gets me down cos it means i dotn go out much. oh well i guess the only thing to do is wait for the holidays and see if i get any better. and i am due to get my period- but again i have never had pms before so im not convinced by this.

has anyone else had similar experiences? i wouldn't say im depressed though just emotional or sensitive.

just thought id do an entry on the actual state of my skin. people have told me its looking better, though i think its just a sympathy thing. i have big whiteheads, about 3 at a time, which are very hard not to touch. but im trying. and lots of pimples-to-be in the form of red painful spots. pretty sure this is more than normal so hoping that this means its working, i really hope so eusa_pray.gif . i've seen the effect on people with severe acne and if it works for them then it should work for me who has mild acne- right? confused.gif hope so.

haven't been able to wear contacts for a while due to my dry eyes. which sucks cos i feel super ugly in my glasses. the area between my lips and nose is still very very dry, sometimes its bearable and at other times really quite gross. i wonder what people who dont know about accutane think is going on with me. i think most people think its related to my break up- that annoys me so much. i imagine his friends think i've just let myself go. even my arms look gross becasue of the grazing caused by scratching. not happy.

can't wait for it all to be over!!! and to have perfect skin like jessica simpson wacko.gif who apparently took accutane too

Hello!

I can completely relate to crying all the time. . . although it is the birth control pills that do it for me, not the Accutane. I began the birth control pills over a month before I started the Accutane, and shortly thereafter, I began to have crying episodes. I never felt depressed or anything - I'd just cry. . . cry, cry, cry - over anything. I remember driving in the car and some music came on, and I thought it was so beautiful and started crying. I also had a dream that my dog had been shot, and I was crying off and on about it for 3 days. . . so, you are not alone! I am assuming that you are on birth control pills - maybe they are the culprit? If you think it is the Accutane, however, I would just watch yourself and make sure that you don't start feeling truly depressed. My crying problem hasn't gotten any worse in nearly 3 weeks that I have been on Accutane, and I think that as my body adjusts the the birth control pills, I have gotten better as far as my emotionaly stability. . . But anyway - just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

- C.

Hey just started accutane a week ago and am on 80mg is this a high dosage to begin wth???

by my calculations at about 50kg i should be done in 2.5 months- is this possible?

hey

to lemuelover- no im not on birth control pills. seeing as im not with anyone at the moment and im only on accutane for a few months i decided to save myself unnecessary complications. so yes, im not getting laid biggrin.gif (maybe thats why im so sad!!) but yeah i think it will go away i think im just suffering from a heightened empathy. oh well

to beatzz. there must be different schools of thought about dosage because i've heard that the higher the doasge you can handle the more effective it is as it disables the sebaceous glands faster. where did you get your info from? i'd be really interested to know. i was told that the derm aims to raise the doasge as high as possible until you cannot cope with the side effects. however, if you read the rest of my log my derm is derfinately not infallible as he accidently pput me on 80 instead of 20 a day because of his dodgey writing!

and i know all about cetaphil moisturiser it rocks- don't know where id be without it its the only thing that doesnt sting- its the first thing i run to after i get out of the shower.