Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnp087

your expericens @ college with acne

i am going to college in sept away from home and have acne. im a guy. i was wondering about how you guys have dealt with acne @ college (away from home) and how it affected you and advice or stoires...

It's definitely easier to have acne in college, people are alot more mature, and the average intelligence of the local population increases dramatically. So people have more discretion.

You'll see a few other people with acne too, most of the people I know have a little bit of acne, although you could'nt tell unless you got close.

Just try to act as if it doesn't bother you, don't hide in your room and avoid social events (of which there are many). So many people are looking for friends in the first month or so, that as long as you don't stay in your room, you'll meet people who you really get along with. I made the mistake of staying in my room way too much, but luckily I met a guy in my class and my circle of friends went from about 2, to 50. Had a great time after that.

So just get out there and you'll enjoy it.

Yes, easier in college. But then I think you may tend to feel worse about yourself too? Everyone in college looks pretty darn good, and you may feel outta place with spots, like you haven't grown out of it and should be in high school still.

But hands down, college! - especially since everyone is mature and polite enough to not point 'em out and just let live!

Definately college! I saw LOTS of people with acne in college, unlike high school. People are much more mature, with no teasing. And if there are any college-aged people who make fun of people with acne, then I feel really sorry for them. Like the above post says--don't hide out in your room. Make new friends and enjoy yourself! And don' neglect your skin regimen! I can't tell you how many nights I just fell into bed without washing my face only to break out the next day.

I had so much acne in college, that's when it got it's worst. There were some embarassing moments, like when I was in a play and had to kiss a guy when I had a huge cyst on my cheek. That was kind of unbearable. But it didn't stop me from having fun for the most part. College was sooo much fun. It wasn't until I started scarring that acne depressed me.

I had acne in my first year of college. It kinda got me to lock myself up in my room every day during the period it was really bad. I still went to lessons, but I refused to go out.

Anyway, you shouldn't do that. There's this other guy who had way worse acne than me. Seriously, he had cysts all over his face (whereas I only had 1 on my chin), and he was a pretty popular guy cause he was funny.

But overall, I'd say more people have acne in college, and most people really don't seem to care.

I guess as long as you seem confident, there is no problem. Because if you act confident, you'll become confident.

Honestly my acne was at its worst my freshman year of college and that was my best year. I had alot of friends both male and female. No gf but some chicks I went out with and fooled around with. Im not going to lie to you I know of 2 times ppl commented on my face.These comments were not negative comments, just the usual do u drink alot of water and other b.s Other than that it wasnt bad just be confident and your going to be morte than ok

I would say just because you're older in college, people tend to be more accepting than in high shcool & theres most likely MANY more people at you college than in your high school, so theres many different types of people to meet. But if you're a girl, dont rush a sorority if your breaking out really bad. I only say this becuase i know great girls who didnt get a bid due to their appearnace (aka-acne).

But thats not my point. Most people will say its not as bad as you think it is. But when it happens to you, its all you can think about (trust me, I know). But look at it this way, when you hang out at bars/clubs, its usually not very well lit, so you cant really see faces too well anyway! Thats helped me be more confident when going out! I had boyfriends & lots of friends despite my face breaking out 3 of the 4 years in college

College=easier than high school (socially speaking)

i am going to college in sept away from home and have acne. im a guy. i was wondering about how you guys have dealt with acne @ college (away from home) and how it affected you and advice or stoires...

I just finished my first year of college and my situation was the exact opposite. Throughout the entire school year, my skin was the best that it ever has been in a long time. All I did was wash my face with a dove soap bar and that was it. I was virtually clear. I am so thankful for that because I met so many people and my confidence sky-rocketed.

Towards the end of the school year, like the end of april, I started to breakout. This was around the same time I started drinking whey protein with lots of milk. I hadn't made the correlation of whey and hormones yet, so I kept drinking it. When I started breaking out more, I started to use proactiv. It worked for like a month and then towards mid to late June, my face erupted! Particularly on my cheeks. I am so glad school is out and hopefully I'll be clear when school starts at the end of September. My acne always seems to disappear in the late fall through winter, and comes back in the spring.

I'm just starting to clear up from it now. One of the reasons I think my skin was so healthy in college was my change in diet. I didn't necessarily eat junk all the time and didn't gain anywhere close to the "freshman 15" in fact, I think I lost weight. But at home, my diet is usually always white rice with some sort of stir fry or soup.

I think eating other ethnic foods as opposed to white rice all the time, really made my skin better too.

Good luck to you in your first year. You'll learn a lot about youself and grow as an individual. If someone had told me the summer before college some of the things that I would've done throughout the course of the year, I wouldn't have believed them. wink.gif

Yeah, I just finished my first year of college too!...and Im doing summer school...doing physics, math and chem.....DAMMIT!

I have to say that although my whiteheads were taking over my forehead (worst invasion EVER!!), I still had a great year with new friends...and a new significant other. I love him dearly and still do wub.gif

Also this was the year where I found this board! Everyone in this board are so supportive and I've never been so enlightened with knowledge about acne.

You're all awesome! Every one of you! biggrin.gif

I don't have any problems at college, people are more intelligent and generally more mature than high school.. plus quite a few people have spots, what with stress and all!

howd u guys treat ur face and stuff since there are shared bathrooms in dorms and guys dont usually walk around with masks or steam thier faces...i think im screwed when it comes to my acne @ school. ahh...