Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenew

sunlight

is it bad to get alot of sun light while you are on the regimen or in general is it bad for your skin?, like getting a tan, im pretty fair skinned, thank you all for any help

Some people say it's bad, some say it's good. I think it really varies from person to person. Personally. the sun is great for my skin, but then i do tan very easily. I mean, some people just seem to go really red and burn quickly, i guess for them-sun wouldn't be good! I have pretty pale skin naturally too, a tan not only helps get rid of the spots a bit, but it acts a bit like make up in a way of dulling down the redness of the spots. Pale skin shows up acne way more unfortunatly for me!

Just be sensible in the sun whatever though ,even if it does help your skin eusa_naughty.gif lol.

The thing I would add is you need to be thinking about what you're using on your skin too. BP will make you a bit more sensative to the light, and just the fact that your skin is a little drier will make burning worse if it does happen, but AHA will DEFINATELY make you more sensative and you WILL burn more easily, so keep all that in mind when you make your decission.

That being said, I'm with Amie on the having a bit of tan really helps *mask* any breakouts and/or old spots.

Here's the info from my derm (gave me a brochure):

Alot of people thing sunlight helps against acne, and this is only partially true. Sunlight can dry out your skin causing your acne to fade away, but eventually it'll come back, and it'll come back worse. Alot of people go to the derm a few weeks after a sunny summer holiday. They simply break out into acne.

Personally, I'd say about 20 minutes of sun a day is ok. Anything more than that and you should put on some form of suntan lotion.

Or if you want to make it simpeler, just buy moisturizer with UV filters.

damn only 20 minutes r u sure that is the only amount of sunlight i should get a day? I need to get a tan im too white haha

Concerning sunlight...

Sunlight will fade acne / dry out skin and it will feel like acne is getting better,

on the contrary -- sunlight dries skin, skin produces more oil because of dryness, oil produces pimples. Basically, if you stay in the sun all day, a week later you will be slapped in the face with the worse breakout of your life.

DO NOT wore bp in the sun. As well as bp intensifying sunburns, it is a cancer risk. Getting a sunburn with BP increases likely hood of skin cancer.

im talking like getting maybe 30 minutes of sunlight a day before i apply any product in the morning... is that alright? i just cant stand to be this white hahha

Well, bp makes your skin ultra sensitive to sunlight. But if you use moisturizer with spf, u should be fine. Personaly, the sun actually helped my face by adding some color and taking some acne away. Although I have been clear for some time now on the regimen...