Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear everybody,

I am scheduled to have a dermabrasion on Aug. 1st. I have been told I would get a 50% improvement. She said the worst she's had is people saying it wasn't worth it. Do you think I should go for it, or not? Please give me your thoughts because I only have one life and I want to try and start living it :)

Have you looked into other treatments? Is this the only treatment that DR offers?

I had 2 spot dermabrasions done years ago and after the swelling went down I didn't notice that much of an improvement, lasers and dermabrasions basically do the same thing and plane down the skin's surface, the results depend on how deep the scars are, be prepared for the recovery stage.

She also does laser, but said she thinks the results from the dermabrasion will be as good or better. She doesn't do much else except cymetra and fat injection and said they won't last. She said that she has not found any safe permenant fillers yet.

As far as my scarring, I am not sure how bad it is. I know that it is noticable to others, which really bothers me. I know that depending on the lighting I can look from good to horrific :)

Seriously though, I don't think they are too deep, but I am not sure. I am just upset about it and trying to find the best solution possible, at the same time I would be very happy with good results.

Life is too short to be unhappy [-o< so I am praying for help. I have looked into everything, and nothing is 100% and it is all pretty frightening, but at the same time I cannot simply do nothing.

If you have the time and money consult with some other Doctors. See what they recommend.

Don't throw all your eggs into one basket.

The best improvement i have heard from dermabrasion is 70%.

Hi,

I have had three or four (can you believe I've lost count?!?! ](*,) ) full-face dermabrasions. The first one I had gave me some improvement, but not nearly what I expected. I did not have horrid scarring, but my mom thought I needed the procedure. First surgery was in 1991. The recovery is a pain, and gross and uncomfortable. You will look better at first, quite amazing, until the swelling and the skin return to normal. I have a couple of pics of post-derma with all the crust on my face, I'll see if I can dig them up! I can say that after the dermabrasions and spot-dermabrading and laser resurfacing, I definately saw more improvement with dermabrasion. The laser was CO2, I think and caused more damage than anything else. I say proceed with caution and be realistic about the outcome. Like any procedure there are major risks. Please ask if you have anymore questions or would like to see the pics!

*Misty :)/

Please make sure you do a lot of research about dermabrasion before deciding you are going to do it.

Hi Misty,

You have had four or so dermabrasions, why so many? Is it improving each time. I have saved a little money, but that many derms would get expensive. So, do you recommend it? I am not sure how bad my scars are, depends on the lighting. I'd love to see your pics. I don't mind the healing part, as long as it is worth it. I'd do anything. Thank you for being so nice and helping me.

Hi OursFan,

I have looked into it, and frankly I am a little worried. I am in college (4.0 junior psychology major-funny I can't live with this :) ), but I really "can't deal" with the way I look. I don't judge others with problems, but I just can't have my face like this. I am a person who takes time and looks into things. I consulted Dr. Goh a year ago and I finally decided to go for it. I don't have a choice.

I can accept someone who is less than perfect, but I am so insecure that I am afraid to socialize and even though I try, it really hurts!

I feel that I am losing out on life simply because of my looks. Also, eventually I want to help others, but I can't really get there until I fix myself. After lots of thought and tears, I have decided to try this, and pray for the best.

Thanks again O:)

Hi!

I will look for the dermabrasion pics 4 you in the AM. You can see pics of my skin now at the link below. As always, how good you look depends on the lighting, closeness, etc. [-o<

I had more done because I did see improvement with each one, it is definately a procedure that you build on. Knowing what I know now and the advances that have been made in scar treatment I cannot say for sure if I would have had all of them, :-k but it really turned back the clock for my skin. I never had any complications post-surgery, but I know that some people have. Just take good care of your skin post-surgery and I am sure everything will turn out great! :)/

BTW what type of scarring do you have? Have a great night!

*Misty

http://pak02.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/L...mViewFromEmails

instead of demabrasion i think the Exoderm Lift would be a better choice.. i have personally gotten one done with 50% improvement on my skin..It roughly costs about 3500.. And is relatively safer and more effective then dermadrasion...

Exoderm will do wonders for shallow Scars.. But you will see improvement on all scars with it

From all I've read and heard, there are only a few experts in dermabrasian in the country. It is considered pretty antiquated, but in the right hands, can be beneficial for people.

I've heard that there are only about 3-4 experts in dermabrasian in the whole country.

Tread carefully...I've also read first hand accounts of people who got worse scars from the dermabrasian.

Personally, I wouldn't get it. I researched it about 2 years ago and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Before and after pictures are great, but let's face it.....the recovery process is pretty horrifying and gross. I mean, you are getting your face scraped off......

definitely i dont recommend dermabrasion. this method just peels the surface of skin, but the real problem of acne scars is under the surface.

i had became dermabrasion 8 months ago, and spend 1500$ , my doctor had said %40, but mine was just %10- 15. because my scars were so deep.

please think twice before make any decision.