Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grossgrease

for those who had success with SPIRO

this is just a question to those who had success with spiro..or are just taking spiro

When did you notice the oiliness and oil production in your skin subside? Basically, how many days or weeks before your skin started to dry or at least get less oily?

I've been taking spiro for approx. 2 weeks now and I was really excited knowing that alot of you who had success with spiro, had a decrease in oil almost immediately.

My problem is not so much the acne, but the crazy crazy...out of this world...oil production on my face. There are no words. except maybe: OIL SLICK. nasty eusa_sick.gif

Maybe it's just taking longer for me personally?

Because I am still very very oily. Should I stick it out longer?

Some of you wrote that you saw a decrease in oil within 3, 4, 5 days. Hopefully, I am just slow to respond to spiro.

btw, i started the first week taking 100mg, and am now taking 200mg

Any replies would be appreciated

thanks-gg

this is just a question to those who had success with spiro..or are just taking spiro

When did you notice the oiliness and oil production in your skin subside? Basically, how many days or weeks before your skin started to dry or at least get less oily?

I've been taking spiro for approx. 2 weeks now and I was really excited knowing that alot of you who had success with spiro, had a decrease in oil almost immediately.

My problem is not so much the acne, but the crazy crazy...out of this world...oil production on my face. There are no words. except maybe: OIL SLICK. nasty  eusa_sick.gif

Some of you wrote that you saw a decrease in oil within 3, 4, 5 days. Hopefully, I am just slow to respond to spiro.

thanks-gg

My problem is not so much the acne, but the crazy crazy...out of this world...oil production on my face. There are no words. except maybe: OIL SLICK. nasty  eusa_sick.gif

thanks-gg

HI there,

I've been on spiro since the end of April (now 200mg) and I never saw an increase in oil production, only a decrease. So I'm not really sure. They say it takes about three months to see the full effects of the drug (which was how it was for me) but if you are having any negative side effects, I'm not sure I would stay on it. Maybe you should talk to your dermo? confused.gif

I hope it ends up working for you!

Leigh

thanks-gg

HI there,

I've been on spiro since the end of April (now 200mg) and I never saw an increase in oil production, only a decrease. So I'm not really sure. They say it takes about three months to see the full effects of the drug (which was how it was for me) but if you are having any negative side effects, I'm not sure I would stay on it. Maybe you should talk to your dermo? confused.gif

I hope it ends up working for you!

Leigh

how old are you? and how many years do you estimate you'll have oily skin (my parents had oily skin til the were middle-aged, so probably the same with me).

IMO, it makes a lot more sense just to go on tane if you can. i heard tane and spiro are both dangerous drugs, so 4-6 months of tane is probably healthier for your than years of spiro.

i used to have horribly oily skin as well. it sucked. i even worked my activites around it (never leaving the house for more than 3 hours so i could wash my face at home). i was cleansing a good 5 times a day just to look normal.

now i'm on tane and my skin produces no oil. it's really nice. i hope it lasts!

~Amy

I think I will stick with the spiro for another month. afterall, it has only been two weeks i guess i'm just antsy to see any sort of result.

thanks, leigh

hope it works me too eusa_pray.gif

shineygal --

I'm 21 and my mom (49) is pretty oily too I guess, but nowhere near as bad as me. Judging from the fact that my mom is still oily, I guess I'm stuck with this condition...for life?

I can totally relate to working my activities around oily skin! I know, just KNOW, that I would be more social and outgoing without the oily grease that pumps out of my face every hour. Basically I turn down invites for stuff after work and after school, because I'd much rather go home, wash my face, and let the oil pump out without feeling selfconscious. It totally sucks. I should be young and living it up, but no. bleh

Anyways, I thought about accutane for me and my oily skin but I thought it wasn't worth it if your acne wasn't severe? How was your acne when you started tane?

does it have a good success rate with oily skin? Like i said before, my problem is oily skin and not so much the acne. I get a pimple or two now and then, but it's never severe or cystic.

man i long for the day i can say

"my skin produces no oil"

it's like, my dream. lol, pretty sad.

here's my tane log if you're interested:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...opic=50824&st=0

before i started tane, i had 1-2 cysts every month, so my acne wasn't severe, and the odd whitehead.

imo, you'll probably 'grow out' of your oily skin problem after menopause. eusa_boohoo.gif

you should really ask your dr what's less harmful, 4-6 months of tane or 40 or so yrs of spiro and how knows what else.

are you on birth control pills with the spiro as well? (i heard spiro causes birth defects like tane). even taking bcp's increase your risk for all kinds of problems. i'm on the pill, but i'm going to quit after my tane treatment.

accutane works for oily skin because it damages the oil glands so they are unable to produce oil (that's how it was explained to me). i'm not sure the statistics for it working on oily skin. but personally, i'd rather go on multiple tane courses than spiro for 40 yrs. there's even 'the hollywood dose'. it's a really low does (about 10 mg a day - normal dose is 40+). so you could go on the low dose for a long period of time.

you might have to call around, a lot of dr's will only prescribe tane to very severe acne cases.

there's a math formula to calculate your odds of success as well. if you get 120mg/kg (your body weight in kg's) you have a pretty good chance of success. last time i was on 30mg/day for 6 mths so it was only 90mg/kg. i relapsed right after my treatment.

there's also 'smoothbeam' laser treatments for oily skin. not sure if they work or not, they're fairly new.

hope this helps!

~Amy

Hi to all of you! eusa_angel.gif

Grossgrease, i can totally relate to you. That's the same problem i have. My face is freaking oily, too. After a 3 or 4 hours of taking a bath, my face will start to be oily or already oily if i'm more active. I don't also break out that much anymore. Just small whiteheads and blackheads to complain about but other than that, my face is okay, i guess-no cystic pimples, unless i pick or squeeze the little whiteheads and blackheads, then the next morning i'd have 2 or 3 red cystic pimples and after 2 days i'd notice the scars from picking, so i try to avoid looking in the mirror as much as i can coz i know that once i see a little annoyance on my face, i'd spend hours picking those little white/blackheads which you can't really notice/see unless you're an inch away from me. And yeah, i've also rejected invitations from friends to go out after work or to go in some events which i know i'd be uncomfortable in bec. of my oily face. And you know what? don't be shocked by this but i've hid myself in the toilet room them knowing that i'm taking a pee although yes, i do, but after that, i blot my face in there too bec. i don't want my friends to see the grossness of my oily face. I hate to admit that but I share your pain, too, grossgrease.

To answer some of your questions about spiro. I started taking spiro nearly a month now. After 3 or 4 days, i've noticed a great reduction of oiliness on my face. I mean, the blotting tissues are no use for me anymore during and after that day. I was amazed! Although, I thought everything was great until i experienced having migraines (it was still bearable for me, just have to increase water intake) and the worst is i'm having some kind of allergy which started 2 days ago. I'm not sure if it was something i ate bec as i look back for the past few days, i have ate all those food before and don't remember having this reaction. I hate to think it's spiro because i felt it's changed a part of me-i mean, not having to worry to go to the washroom and hide in the toilet room to blot my face; and the way i interact with people- i can look them straight in their eyes or come close to the people around me. I stopped taking spiro today and will continue to do so probably until 2 or 3 more days and see if spiro is really the reason for this. A few hours ago, i was still itchy all over, but it's stopped now.

I'll keep you guys updated for the next couple of days about the result.

Hi to all of you!  eusa_angel.gif

Grossgrease, i can totally relate to you.  That's the same problem i have.  My face is freaking oily, too.  After a 3 or 4 hours of taking a bath, my face will start to be oily or already oily if i'm more active.  I don't also break out that much anymore.  Just small whiteheads and blackheads to complain about but other than that, my face is okay, i guess-no cystic pimples, unless i pick or squeeze the little whiteheads and blackheads, then the next morning i'd have 2 or 3 red cystic pimples and after 2 days i'd notice the scars from picking, so i try to avoid looking in the mirror as much as i can coz i know that once i see a little annoyance on my face, i'd spend hours picking those little white/blackheads which you can't really notice/see unless you're an inch away from me.  And yeah, i've also rejected invitations from friends to go out after work or to go in some events which i know i'd be uncomfortable in bec. of my oily face.  And you know what? don't be shocked by this but i've hid myself in the toilet room them knowing that i'm taking a pee although yes, i do, but after that, i blot my face in there too bec. i don't want my friends to see the grossness of my oily face.  I hate to admit that but I share your pain, too, grossgrease.

To answer some of your questions about spiro. I started taking spiro nearly a month now.  After 3 or 4 days, i've noticed a great reduction of oiliness on my face.  I mean, the blotting tissues are no use for me anymore during and after that day.  I was amazed! Although, I thought everything was great until i experienced having migraines (it was still bearable for me, just have to increase water intake) and the worst is i'm having some kind of allergy which started 2 days ago.  I'm not sure if it was something i ate bec as i look back for the past few days, i have ate all those food before and don't remember having this reaction. I hate to think it's spiro because i felt it's changed a part of me-i mean, not having to worry to go to the washroom and hide in the toilet room to blot my face; and the way i interact with people- i can look them straight in their eyes or come close to the people around me.  I stopped taking spiro today and will continue to do so probably until 2 or 3 more days and see if spiro is really the reason for this.  A few hours ago, i was still itchy all over, but it's stopped now.

I'll keep you guys updated for the next couple of days about the result.

I TOTALLY know what you mean about blotting in the toilet stall rather than the general bathroom. Whenever I'm in a public bathroom I do my business (including blotting my oily, greasy mess of a face) in the stall. I thought I was just weird for doing that but I, too get very ashamed of my oiliness.

I'm glad that i found this website coz i'm able to express myself, things i've done or still do which i just couldn't admit to my friends even to my bestfriend, for a mere reason of shamefulness. when i found this website, i'm glad in a way that i'm not alone in this battle and there are a lot of people out there like you guys, who support one another. Keep it up girls!!!

Good luck to everyone of us!

Just an update on how i'm doing after not taking spiro for 2 consecutive days. The second day, the itchiness subsided, but still persistent at times. The third day, i couldn't imagine me back to that oilyness again and i went out that day, too, so i took spiro again. Although, the itchiness/allergy has subsided, i still experience some weird itchiness but not serious. My mom bought me Aveeno shower & bath oil for itchy dry skin and Aveeno anti-itch lotion. I think these two help with my condition. For now, i'm planning to take spiro every other day, until i see my dermo again.

Has anyone else experience this kind of reaction while on spiro?