Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowcarver75

Another success story

Hi everyone,

Just thought that I should share my story in hope that it may help some of you youngins. Anyhow, a little bio stat is in order. I'm Asian (SE), male and recently was inducted involuntarily into the hall of fame of the 30s kind (otherwise known as a mid life crisis for some). I have red and brown marks and scars of all types all over my cheeks and temples. I have had these for a long time (10 years+) and have not seen any kind of reduction over the years. I really have thick skin - no pun intended - so for years it really hadn't bothered me that much, and in fact I kinda like my marks, despite the fact that girls have misguessed my age by 10.

Unlike my bro who took accutane and ended up being free of scars/marks, I have never believed in aggressive treatments. After 10 years, I think his treatment may have shed way too much skin and he ends up looking a lot older than his age. It's ironic that his treatment so far is no better than my non-treatment, after a decade. The score was now 0-0, until I discovered this forum. So on my 30th birthday, I told myself to do something about it. My objective is simple: my red/brown spots (some are quite big, like 1/4 of an inch circles) have got to go. I ordered myself a 40% glycolic bottle and set out to test it on my right cheek (2 minutes). Wiped it off with water and baking soda and noticed not a damn thing different about it. Next evening, I tried it out on my other cheek, this time for 3 minutes. By this time the spots on my right cheek improved a bit, maybe 5%, maybe 8% at most (in other words, barely noticeable, and the scars look somewhat improved, though by not much). Back to square one!

Even though I intended to carry glycolic thing through the entire 6 weeks, I decided to toss the ACV (apple cider vinegar) into the mix. I applied the vinegar neat to a small spot, and it stung a bit (I was surprised, since glycolic peel didn't even tingle.) After two days, the red mark significantly faded, at which point my cousin who was visiting asked me what I was using since he also has a lot of remarks (he's a youngin, barely 21). So he became my next test subject. His skin is even tougher than mine and he didn't feel a damn thing, but after two days we both noticed that the marks also faded significantly. And the scars are a lot less noticable too! The funny thing is that I'm now less aggressive on the vinegar because I don't want my marks to fade that fast as I don't like my noisy co-workers to think that I'm a metrosexual or something.

I dedicated sometime to research both glycolic and ACV. Obviously both are acids and are used to promote the skin growth/shedding rate and removing old dead cells, but I also believe that in order for this regime to be effective, both should be used and in the PROPER concentration. The effective dose is basically individual and important requirements to this particular combo are:

1) 6 weeks period following by a rest period

2) Your face should never be red as glycolic acid is only there to be absorbed into your cells for collegen as well as dead skin cells removal, and not a chemical burn. The vinegar should sting, but again not cause your face to turn red. I recommend 1:1 dilution first, dilute or apply neat as per individual tolerance and leave it on through out the night/day.

So without further ado, here is the regime that I have had great successes with:

Ingredients:

- 40% glycolic (1 oz bottle should suffice, you should apply only to affected areas, whole face application should be limited or done in turns).

- baking soda (like arm & hammer one)

- apple cider vinegar (your main agent here, I think that vinegar is about 5 times more potent than glycolic at fighting redmarks, as it's used more often and can be left on your skin all day)

- rubbing alcohol.

- a camera to record progress smile.gif

- sun screen (sp30+)

---------------------

Total cost: $20-$40

Procedures:

Daily 1(priming): Clean your face with alcohol (or your favorite cleanser). Prepare a paste of baking soda in a small cup as we will use this to neutralize glycolic acid. Apply glycolic and leave it on for 2 minutes (tune this to your need, for me I leave it for about 3 minutes). Wash your face with water after that, then use baking soda paste to neutralize. It should feel a bit hot to the touch due to the heat being released during an acid and base reaction. Wash and let it dry naturally. Stay out of the sun and apply sunscreen if you have to be in the sun.

Daily 2(treatment): Dilute vinegar 1:1 with water (again adjust this to your tolerance. Remember, no red face, but it should sting a bit). Next, take a thin piece of toilet paper, fold twice and soak it completely with vinegar. Apply this to your skin. The toilet paper serves to release vinegar slowly to your skin. Paper will fall off when it's dry (10 minutes roughly). Do this twice a day if possible, otherwise when u get home.

Daily 3-6(treatment): Repeat step 2.

Daily 7: No treatment, let your skin rest before repeating the whole treatment.

Repeat this cycle 6 times (6 weeks) and then take a 2 weeks off. Hopefully you won't need to repeat it again.

-----------------------

Some thoughts:

Acne breakouts are likely for some. I got some on my chin and they basically became dry the next morning. Both glycolic and vinegar are mildly anti-bacterial and will help contain the further spread. You must understand that with any kind of peel/skin shedding, pimples which didn't form due to the fact that they were too deep will now have an opportunity, so it will get worse before it gets better.

Getting rid of red/brown marks is a matter of physiology. If the pigments are deep, expect them to fade around the 5th week. Otherwise the first 2 weeks you will see significant progress. You should not be using other skin exfoliant products while on this treatment. For me, most of the red spots are gone, the remaining ones are 80-95% faded, after the first 2 weeks.

You will also notice significant scar reduction for the shallow ones. This is the result of glycolic and skin tightening due to vinegar. Skin tightening is temporary, but skin evenness is permanent.

Best of lucks and clear skin to you!

I'm getting chills reading your story because I am soo excited. I've had mine red marks for about 2 years now and I'm dying for them to fade. I did try the vinegar method before but I only tried it for 1 week and gave up. I also tried the 30% glycolic peel and I did one peel every week and i did it for 3 weeks and gave up also. I'm gonna try your regiment and stick with it for 6 weeks atleast. So u do this 6 days a week and give the 7th day a break?? I was alittle confused. I'm gonna alter the regiment abit and do the acv six days a week and glycolic only once a week. Thanks for sharing your information. If you could post some pictures, that would be very helpful as well. Let me know how it's going for you and wish me luck .

I'm getting chills reading your story because I am soo excited. I've had mine red marks for about 2 years now and I'm dying for them to fade. I did try the vinegar method before but I only tried it for 1 week and gave up.  I also tried the 30% glycolic peel and I did one peel every week and i did it for 3 weeks and gave up also.  I'm gonna try your regiment and stick with it for 6 weeks atleast.  So u do this 6 days a week and give the 7th day a break?? I was alittle confused. I'm gonna alter the regiment abit and do the acv six days a week and glycolic only once a week.  Thanks for sharing your information. If you could post some pictures, that would be very helpful as well.  Let me know how it's going for you and wish me luck .

Umm I haven't heard anything good about the neutrogena mark fading peel. But u can try and let us know. Currently i spot treat with clean and clear blemish fading gel on my pimples which works great because it shrinks the pimples and doesn't irritate or dry my skin. For red marks, I've been using scarzone cream and vit E oil. So far no big improvment but they didn't make my marks look worst either. I know u have to use products consistently for at least a month or two to see results. Sometimes I am very impatient and if i dont see improvement in a week i get discourage. I am definately gonna do the ACV and baking soda method religiously for 6 days a week and also use glycolic acid peel once a week. I'm gonna try it out for 6 weeks. I will update every week and let u guys know. I really hope it works. I really hope we find something that works for all of us. Wouldn't that be cool?

Oh and I am also thinking of trying Tri-luma cream because it sounds soooo promising. If i dont try i will never know what works.

Icantthinkofaname, I believe this treatment is very effective on stable redmarks (remember, I had these for 10 years, and they were showing any sign of receding).

keisha, glycolic should only be done once a week. I'd recommend doing glycolic first to prime your skin for the vinegar (moot point after the 2nd week for you). Essentially, priming with glycolic achieves two critical pre-requisites:

1) Promoting collegen and dermal growth. Basically we are accelerating time in our favor.

2) Disolving the top dead layers, bringing pigments closer to the skin. Vinegar is then even more effective.

Remember, we are not fading the pigments by bleaching it with dangerous chemicals, we are removing them by exfoliating and pigments dissolution. Exfoliating is mostly glycolic job, and pigments dissolution is vinegar job. When I used vinegar undiluted, the darkest spots on my face feel the most tingly. After a few days, if you run your finger thru your skin, they feel rough on these spots. This is when you know that it's working in its fullest form. (In its most concentrated form, vinegar is still gentler and safer than most of the prescriptions being promoted here, so try to work your tolerance up as high as u can)

Only, eat healthy during this period and drink lots of water smile.gif.

Let us know how it goes for ya.

Hey snowcarver75, thanks for telling us what has helped for you!

About the vinegar method. Do you apply any mosturizer afterwords?

And how strong is your apple cider vinegar?

You said you took some pictures, please show us your progress!

Hi everyone,

Just thought that I should share my story in hope that it may help some of you youngins.  Anyhow, a little bio stat is in order.  I'm Asian (SE), male and recently was inducted involuntarily into the hall of fame of the 30s kind (otherwise known as a mid life crisis for some).  I have red and brown marks and scars of all types all over my cheeks and temples.  I have had these for a long time (10 years+) and have not seen any kind of reduction over the years.  I really have thick skin - no pun intended - so for years it really hadn't bothered me that much, and in fact I kinda like my marks, despite the fact that girls have misguessed my age by 10.

Unlike my bro who took accutane and ended up being free of scars/marks, I have never believed in aggressive treatments.  After 10 years, I think his treatment may have shed way too much skin and he ends up looking a lot older than his age.  It's ironic that his treatment so far is no better than my non-treatment, after a decade.  The score was now 0-0, until I discovered this forum.  So on my 30th birthday, I told myself to do something about it.  My objective is simple: my red/brown spots (some are quite big, like 1/4 of an inch circles) have got to go.  I ordered myself a 40% glycolic bottle and set out to test it on my right cheek (2 minutes).  Wiped it off with water and baking soda and noticed not a damn thing different about it.  Next evening, I tried it out on my other cheek, this time for 3 minutes.  By this time the spots on my right cheek improved a bit, maybe 5%, maybe 8% at most (in other words, barely noticeable, and the scars look somewhat improved, though by not much).  Back to square one!

Even though I intended to carry glycolic thing through the entire 6 weeks, I decided to toss the ACV (apple cider vinegar) into the mix. I applied the vinegar neat to a small spot, and it stung a bit (I was surprised, since glycolic peel didn't even tingle.)  After two days, the red mark significantly faded, at which point my cousin who was visiting asked me what I was using since he also has a lot of remarks (he's a youngin, barely 21).  So he became my next test subject.  His skin is even tougher than mine and he didn't feel a damn thing, but after two days we both noticed that the marks also faded significantly.  And the scars are a lot less noticable too!  The funny thing is that I'm now less aggressive on the vinegar  because I don't want my marks to fade that fast as I don't like my noisy co-workers to think that I'm a metrosexual or something.

I dedicated sometime to research both glycolic and ACV.  Obviously both are acids and are used to promote the skin growth/shedding rate and removing old dead cells, but I also believe that in order for this regime to be effective, both should be used and in the PROPER concentration.  The effective dose is basically individual and important requirements to this particular combo are:

1) 6 weeks period following by a rest period

2) Your face should never be red as glycolic acid is only there to be absorbed into your cells for collegen as well as dead skin cells removal, and not a chemical burn.  The vinegar should sting, but again not cause your face to turn red.  I recommend 1:1 dilution first, dilute or apply neat as per individual tolerance and leave it on through out the night/day.

So without further ado, here is the regime that I have had great successes with:

Ingredients:

- 40% glycolic (1 oz bottle should suffice, you should apply only to affected areas, whole face application should be limited or done in turns).

- baking soda (like arm & hammer one)

- apple cider vinegar  (your main agent here, I think that vinegar is about 5 times more potent than glycolic at fighting redmarks, as it's used more often and can be left on your skin all day)

- rubbing alcohol.

- a camera to record progress smile.gif

- sun screen (sp30+)

---------------------

Total cost: $20-$40

Procedures:

Daily 1(priming): Clean your face with alcohol (or your favorite cleanser).  Prepare a paste of baking soda in a small cup as we will use this to neutralize glycolic acid.  Apply glycolic and leave it on for 2 minutes (tune this to your need, for me I leave it for about 3 minutes).  Wash your face with water after that, then use baking soda paste to neutralize.  It should feel a bit hot to the touch due to the heat being released during an acid and base reaction.  Wash and let it dry naturally.  Stay out of the sun and apply sunscreen if you have to be in the sun.

Daily 2(treatment): Dilute vinegar 1:1 with water (again adjust this to your tolerance.  Remember, no red face, but it should sting a bit).  Next, take a thin piece of toilet paper, fold twice and soak it completely with vinegar.  Apply this to your skin.  The toilet paper serves to release vinegar slowly to your skin.  Paper will fall off when it's dry (10 minutes roughly).  Do this twice a day if possible, otherwise when u get home.

Daily 3-6(treatment): Repeat step 2.

Daily 7:  No treatment, let your skin rest before repeating the whole treatment.

Repeat this cycle 6 times (6 weeks) and then take a 2 weeks off.  Hopefully you won't need to repeat it again.

-----------------------

Some thoughts:

Acne breakouts are likely for some.  I got some on my chin and they basically became dry the next morning.  Both glycolic and vinegar are mildly anti-bacterial and will help contain the further spread.  You must understand that with any kind of peel/skin shedding, pimples which didn't form due to the fact that they were too deep will now have an opportunity, so it will get worse before it gets better.

Getting rid of red/brown marks is a matter of physiology.  If the pigments are deep, expect them to fade around the 5th week.  Otherwise the first 2 weeks you will see significant progress.  You should not be using other skin exfoliant products while on this treatment.  For me, most of the red spots are gone, the remaining ones are 80-95% faded, after the first 2 weeks.

You will also notice significant scar reduction for the shallow ones.  This is the result of glycolic and skin tightening due to vinegar.  Skin tightening is temporary, but skin evenness is permanent.

Best of lucks and clear skin to you!

Thanks so much for sharing your successful story with us snowcarver75 smile.gif

I've been suffering with acne for a loong time and desperately need all the help I can get! - am so anxious to try your "prescription", and need your help advise what brand did you use for both 40% glycolic acid & A.C.V.? - as I believe not all manufacturer's "quality" are equal, and it does make difference in terms of brand...please help and thanks in advance - feel free to email me with the info if you preferred.... (p.s.) I'm an Asian as well, female...

hey snowcarver75. first off congrats on your results. i have one question I just started doing a 30% glycolic peel so I thought I would add in the ACV. Do you mean to soak the toilet paper and then apply the toilet paper to your face and just let it sit there until it falls off? Do you only apply the ACV where your red marks are?

frusciante,

I do not know jack about moisterizers, but I don't think it matters that you use it to smooth/cool your face. My ACV is 5% acid - Safeway brand.

amcgill,

ACV is gentle enough for you to use on the whole face. If you are lazy like me you probably just wanna do it for the red areas.

Generally speaking, I think people need to stick to it (whatever "it" happens to be) and give it a chance. Unlike deep scars, probably 99.9% of redmarks are treatable, it's just that you may not want to wait 10 years like I did smile.gif

Good luck and let us know your progress!

Hello snowcarver75,

When you said "Asian (SE)", did you mean South-east Asian? If so, I was wondering if you suffered from any hyperpigmentation after? I'm Malaysian/Singaporean Chinese by the way, and although I'm fairer now, I believe I'm still prone to hyperpigmentation.

If you're not, then well, either way, I just wanna say thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on having found what works for you. It is always great to read another's success story because I feel that it serves to give us all hope.

Take care and good luck!