Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beserker

Amoxicillin, final frontier?

I have finally given up and went to see the derm since it was the derm who cured my acne several years back.

But today, he prescribed Amoxicillin, a whopping 875 mg x2 a day. I'm somewhat hesitant that I might need this drug in the future for life threatening disease and if I take it now I might become resistent to it.

However, I'm giving the derm final try. I'm no doctor and I will trust his decision. But anyone have taken such a high dose as me?

I was prescribed 875 twice a day just yesterday. I'm going to do the same thing as you and just take it because my face is so terrible since summer started. I know it isn't for long-term, but I'm just going through the motions with my Derm unless he finds something permanent (ie I want Accutane, but he said he needs to try 2 or 3 more solutions before he can go that route without getting a lot of crap for it).

amoxicillin doesnt do much for acne, its a braod spectrum antibiotic for viral infections, and infections relating to the blood.

nothing to do with acne really :( strange why s/he gave u that

Lymecycline, minocycline are antibiotics for acne

not to come off as an asshole, but so_fitting, who do you think you are trying to tell people what antibiotics wont help them? i dont think the derm would perscribe it if it wouldnt potentially help them..

while i was on amox, for about 6-8 months, i was at my clearest for 4 months (during treatment) until it wore off.

Well, I've had acne for about 10 years, and I'll be starting Accutane soon. But I've been on just about every antibiotic there is. Just recently coming off 1000 mg a day of Amoxicillin. I got pretty good results while taking it, like a difference within a couple of weeks. I've just been on it for a long time, so Accutane is my last option. But I think you will be pleased with it.

Amoxicillin kills bacteria, including the P. acnes that causes acne. I suppose this is why your doctor prescribed it.