Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guy20uk

accutane - how much is it?

Hi guys can u help

ok - i wanna clear up the price for clear skin er i mean accutane

for all peeps from the UK. if i get reffered to a derma, how much will a good strong solid course of accutane cost for about 3 months if

1) im on the nhs

2) or if im not on the nhs

3) or how much if i go to a private derma

4) off the internet

thanks guys

If you get a referral to an NHS dermatologist, and they prescribe roaccutane, it will only cost the normal prescription charges (about £6 I think in England or Scotland, or £4 if you live in Wales). I was given the full 19 week course on a single prescription so only had to pay once - though I know in some cases they prescribe it month by month.

If you get a referral to a private dermatologist, my GP told me that I would have to pay for private prescriptions, rather than NHS scripts, which are basically at cost price. He said it would run to thousands of pounds to do the private route. I guess the same would apply if you aren't entitled to NHS treatment. I decided to wait (which unfortunately took almost 2 years!)

Buying off the internet, I really don't know - but I would definitely not recommend it. I had to have regular blood tests and check ups all the way through as it can do horrible things to your liver and various other bits of you. I know these sorts of side effects are rare - but one of the reasons they are rare is because nobody gets given a course of roaccutane in the first place if the blood test results show they're not a suitable candidate. And the results of the blood tests also affect what dose they start you on, how long the course is taken for and how much your 'maximum' dose can be.

Hope this helps.

If you get a referral to a private dermatologist, my GP told me that I would have to pay for private prescriptions, rather than NHS scripts

If you get a referral to a private dermatologist, my GP told me that I would have to pay for private prescriptions, rather than NHS scripts

I saw a derm. privately and when he decided to prescribe Accutane he did it through the NHS to save me buying it myself. In my case I got it on a month by month basis and just had to pay the NHS charge.

If you go private it will cost between £800 - £1200. That will take into account all your consultations, blood tests and the medication. It depends really what your dermatologist and pharmacy charges you. The NHS is the absolutely cheapest route for you to go, just depends how long you want to wait.