Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I hopped on the Neosporin Cream bandwagon a month ago and experienced some satisfactory results. The cream made a few spots and marks fade away but, unfortunately, they always resurfaced a few days later or the skin became red and blotchy.

Two weeks ago I had a nasty spill and got a wicked rugburn on my cheek. I had the Neosporin Cream handy so I used that on the gash. It scabbed, healed, and left a very faint pink mark. I continued to use the cream to help it fade completely, but the mark went from soft pink to angry orangy-red in a hurry.

I just found out that neomycin (the first active ingredient) is known to cause an allergic reaction in some users. This explains the initial success I had with the cream on my spots and the rugburn and the subsequent negative reaction. The doctor prescribed hydrocortisone 1% to get rid of the itchy red gash on my face, so hopefully the mark will finally begin to fade (after getting so much better and then so much worse).

So if you feel like the Neosporin is causing more break-outs, it could very well be an allergic reaction and not clogged pores. Just something to consider before you slam the product. I'm happy to see it works for some people and I'm bummed I can't continue using it seeing as how it was so promising.

If you have a neomycin sensitivity and want to continue using OTC antibiotic creams, try the Polysporin cream instead, it's got the other antibiotics in Neosporin but without the neomycin.

The problem for me is the mineral oil and petroleum that is still even in the cream version, to greasy even when patted down with tissue, In all fairness I only tried it a couple of days started breaking out I have oily skin anyway and dont usually break out much anymore, then I started to have that gross itchy irritated feeling so I went back to vinegar and baking soda that works about as well for me as anything ive tried.

If you have a neomycin sensitivity and want to continue using OTC antibiotic creams, try the Polysporin cream instead, it's got the other antibiotics in Neosporin but without the neomycin.