Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davâ„®

Have you any thoughts on a shaving creme

Hey,

I've been doing a bit of digging as to why it could be I seem to suffer from the occasional case of razor irritation. I think they call it pseudofolliculitis barbae.

Well I have very thick, kinda curly/wavy hair... which makes me susceptible to this irritability.

Anyway, I've even switched to the Sensor Excel, which, while I do think it is a good razor, and I will continue with it, from what I have been reading the absolute key to a good shave is a good shaving creme.

We all know to shave with the grain and prep with warm water etc, however, it seems a good creme provides the essential lubrication needed to reduce irritation.

So... may I introduce a creme into the reg? I don't think the lather from a soap, thick though it is, can stop this irritation.

They are very heavy, of course, and the only non-comedogenic one I have located is from neutrogena, which contains the old Salicylic acid.

I'm thinking I should try a a thick, silicon rich creme (not gel/foam), and see if it stops the irritation... the question is will that brief exposure conflict with the regimen?

I would have thought not, seeing as you can cleanse fully afterwards...any thoughts mate?

I can't be the only one whose skin gets irritated through using a soap as lubrication?

I USE AN ELECTRIC....BUT WHEN I USED A RAZOR I USED AVEENO SHAVING GEL...IT NONCOMEDOGENIC AND FRAGERENCE FREE....U SHOULD TRY IT cool.gif

WELL THE GEL TURNS INTO A CREAM WHEN YOU APPLY IT.....IT WILL GIVE YOU MORE LUBRICATION THEN ANY SOAP WILL AND ALSO MAKES YOUR BEARD SOFT SO ITS EASIER TO SHAVE OFF.....IT WONT IRRATATE OR DRY SKIN AND IT WONT CLOG YOUR PORES EITHER SO IT REALLY DONT GET BETTER THEN THAT...AND IF YOU WANT MORE LUBRICATION YOU CAN USE COMPLEX 15 MOISTUIZER BEFORE AND AFTER YOU SHAVE....I USED TO USE IT BUT IT MADE MY FACE LOOK SHINY BUT OTHER THEN THAT IT WORKED PRETTY GOOD....TRY IT OUT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU eusa_boohoo.gif

Well the Aveeno does look appealing.

I'm just wondering if I was to use a traditional, rich creme, would it clog pores?

Even being comedogenic,it is on the skin for such a short period of time... I can't think of any studies which are relevant?

Any thoughts Dan?

Also, something that comes to mind is the lubrication strips on a razor. I don't know what they are made of, but they all seem to deposit a 'slime' on the skin, which MUST be comedogenic...it's like wet glue...so, if that doesn't cause breakouts why would a cream?

Consider using the shaving gel from www.cosmeticscop.com . If you don't want to use that one, find a gel with similar ingredients. Your pores are very unlikely to be blocked by a shaving product since it's normally washed off quickly and efficiently.

I hate Paulas Shave gel...maybe not hate but its just not for me. Way to light (I have a heavy beard).

I've had shaving problems forever. I've tried the razor suggested here, another twin blade, a blade designed for ingrown hairs (has a foil over the blade) Mach 3, Mach 3 Power, Norelco, and two different foil electrics (Braun). I have given all my shave reg 4 weeks to judge and I like the Mach 3 blade the most, contrary to most other views. The sensor was just plain awful.

However, about three months ago I got the courage to start shaving with a double edge saftey blade...Wow!

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/...c3bd25.45462608

This is WAY less irratating than anything I have used. Its a complete one pass dream. I do use a lather brush and some shave soap (non comengenic, etc) but I find that the blade helped my shave more than any thing else.

It may seem expensive at first but the 4 Mach 3 blades are $8, 10 blades for the above razor = $4. In addition the blades last longer than all cartridge blades.

I've used Aveeno, both brands one with Soy (reduce hair growth, never happened) and the Oatmeal one, there ok.

Hate the Gilette brands. Sharps and Jack Black make decent ones. Lab Series Shave cream always gave me a great close shave, but its a little harsh.

I now use Taylor of Bond Street (Hypo-Allergenic)

Good shave is the prep and after care....

$60 though mate! I don't think I could shell out that money for another acne product that doesn't work.

What was wrong with the excel? What problems did you have with it?- It doesn't cut below the skin or anything... and it seems sharp enough?

I find that if I get lots of lather from the basis bar, that's just as good as any shave cream. But if you want to use a shave cream, you can do that. Just get one that is non-comedogenic and without any active ingredients. And when you're applying it, be sure to stay gentle.

I find that if I get lots of lather from the basis bar, that's just as good as any shave cream.  But if you want to use a shave cream, you can do that.  Just get one that is non-comedogenic and without any active ingredients.  And when you're applying it, be sure to stay gentle.

Its not an acne product, just a razor???

The blades are cheaper and much longer, hence it pays out in the end. Cant really get much irritation as its a single blade.

Excel still gave me razor burn, ingrown hairs, more so than the Mach 3! I also found the Excel did not give a close enough shave. Now, I dont get irritation nor ingrowns since the switch. Its a single blade - less irritation...