Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok this is very frustrating, I know that if my skin is bad, nothing in the entire world clears my skin faster than a tan towel! BUT WHY?!!

What is a tan towel? It's basically a wet face or body wipe that give a fake tan.

I had a few active spots last night one of while I knew was going to last a few days, and I used the towel last night, and I keep it on my skin overnight, this maximises how effective they are and today all my active spots are gone. I knew this would work, as I used to use them all the time, for this reason, but I could only use one a week, or I would end up a funny colour! I stopped using them for a few months as I was constantly too dark.

This is something I've known a long time, but not something I've advertised or use too often myself, because of course I would end up black if I used them every day!

So I need to figure out which ingedient it is that helps so amazingly well!

Here is a list of ingedients:

TanTowel Plus and Evolution Plus Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Dihydroxyacetone, Butylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Polysorbate 20, Erythrulose, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree), Sodium Matabisulfite, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance

It's definately NOT the tea tree oil, as this has little effect on me. I read on their website that it containts Antioxidant Vitamin E Acetate. Maybe its that? I doubt it though, hmmm

Anybody have an clues?

PS, it is NOT a matter of my skin being brown and hence the redness shows less, although this does help with the appearance, the swelling, size etc is also considerably reduced.

Oh I wanted to add, I was going to a fancy dress as a life guard, and they are of course very tanned, so I used a tan towel every day for a week, I was VERY brown and looked great, my skin was flawless, not a single spot, all my blocked pores were gone, It has honestly never looked better.

I wish I could figure out what it was, without having to make myself brown! But maybe its the tanning agents thats doing the work? Hmm

perhaps it is the unknown "fragrance" that is the cure? eusa_dance.gif

I noticed the ingredient: "Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract." I wonder if that is similar to Alpha Hydroxy acids. But have you used ahas before with any improvement?

could be the citric acid i guess, which is a form of aha. and i think ascorbic acid is just another name for aha aswell.

i've hear people say that self-tanners seem to help their acne before...could be the actine ingredient dihidroxyacetone? i've been using self tanner on my face the past couple of days (i'm sickly w/out it :-( )...i hope i have the same results. if i do, i'm betting it's the DHA.

I have used other tanning products, infact to be honest hundreds!

none of them have had this effect other than the tan towel.

Do you guys in the USA have these? It's the specific brand Tan towel that works for me.

could anybody else try it? and post their results, they really are quite significant, it's just a HUGE shame that we can't use them every day as I know from past experience this would make me clear.

I have used AHA before, with no real benefits, certainly not to this level, perhaps it's a combination of ingredients.

has tea tree oil in it aka Melaleuca...either that or the Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract as it is high up on the ingred list. Maybe the combo of both.

The other stuff is lower on the list (less concentration). Asorbic acid I thought was vit C, and Citric Acid is just a pH balancer

Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract =cucumber

hmmm. I have these, I got them at GNC for $2.99. Maybe I'll try them again (they made me orange)...

Sodium metabisulfite's reductive and sulfonating properties provide versatile applications. It is widely used in the following industries of Chemical manufacturing, Water Treatment, Tanning, Textile, Photochemical, Food and Beverage, and Pulp. Commercially, three grades of sodium metabisulfite are available: Technical, Food, and Photographic.

PHYSICAL PROPERTY & DESCRIPTION

CAS NO.

STRUCTURE

Melting Point: 150 C

Specific Gravity (H2O=1): 1.4

Solubility: 45% in water at 20 C Decomposition Temperature: Approx 150 C

pH: 4.5 (1-% solution).

7681-57-4

SYNONYM

Sodium Pyrosulfite

MOL WT.

Na2S2O5

APPLICATION

Reducing agent for chemical manufacturing. Preservative. Auxiliary for water treatment film and photographic industry.. Bleaching agent. Ensiling agent.

SPECIFICATION

PROPERTY

TECH GRADE

FOOD GRADE

Appearance

White or slightly yellowish crystalline powder

Na2S2O5

97.5% min

98.0% min

SO2

65.0% min

65% min

Na2S2O4

2% max

2% max

Insoluble matter in Water

0.05% max

0.05% max

Heavy Metals (as Pb)

-

10ppm max

Fe

5ppm max

5ppm max

As

-

1ppm max

pH (5% Solution)

4.0 - 4.6

4.0 - 4.6

Particle Size

85% (mesh 200)

85% (mesh 200)

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF ORGANOSULFUR COMPOUNDS

Mercaptan: any of a class of organosulfur compounds is similar to the alcohol and phenol but containing a sulfur atom in place of the oxygen atom. Compounds containing -SH as the principal group directly attached to carbon are named 'thiols'. In substitutive nomenclature their names are formed by adding '-thiol' as a suffix to the name of the parent compound. When -SH is not the principal group, the prefix 'mercapto-' is placed before the name of the parent compound to denote an unsubstituted -SH group. 'thio' is a chemical prefix indicates the replacement of an oxygen in an acid radical by sulfur with a negative valence of 2. Sulfur analog of alcohol is called thiol (or mercaptan), and ether analog is called sulfide.

Sulfate (also spelled sulphates in Euorpe) is any chemical compound related to sulfuric acid, formed by replacing one or both of the hydrogens with a metal or a radical. Sulfite is any salt of sulfurous acid, chemical species H2SO3, which is formed in aqueous solutions of sulfur dioxide. Sulfurous acid is a clear liquid with a strong sulfur aroma. Sulfide is a compound having one or more sulfur atoms in which the sulfur is connected directly to a carbon, metal, or other nonoxygen atom; for example, sodium sulfide, Na2S. Sulfur compounds are used in the synthesis of medicine and chemicals, manufacture of wood, pulp and paper. They are used in winemaking, brewing, food preservation, metallurgy, engraving process, ore flotation, additive in making steel, bleaching, metal treatment and as an analytic reagent.

The first chemical contrast of thiols and sulfides with alcohols and ethers is acidity which is important in organic reactions. Thiols are stronger acids than relevant alcohols and phenols.Thiolate conjugate bases are easily formed, and are excellent nucleophiles in SN2 reactions of alkyl halides and tosylates. The nucleophilicity of sulfur is much greater than that of oxygen, resulting in a number of useful electrophilic substitution reaction that are rare by oxygen. For example, sulfides form (with alkyl halides) ternary sulfonium salts, in the same alkylattion of tert-amines quaternary ammonium salts, whereas ternary oxonium salts are prepared only under extream conditions. Without exception, sulfoxides, sulfinate salts and sulfite anion also alkylate on sulfur, despite of the partial negative formal charge on oxygen and partial positive charge on sulfur. The second character is the oxidation states of sulfur. Oxygen has only two oxidation states, whereas sulfur covers from –2 to +6 as follows:

-2: Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S), sulfides, sulfonium ions

-1: disulfides

0: S elemental, sulfoxides, sulfenic acids

+2: sulfones, sulfinic acids

+4: sulfonic acids, sulfite esters

+6: sulfate esters

One more sulfur compound's contrast with oxygen analog is in oxidation chemistry. Oxidation of sulfur compounds changes the oxidation state of sulfur rather than carbon, whereas, oxidation of alcohols to aldehydes and ketones changes the oxidation state of carbon not oxygen. Thiols is oxidized to S-S single bond (disufide) which is stronger than O–O bond in peroxide. Disufide forms sulfenyl chlorides (with chlorine in mild condition) or sulfonic acids under harder condition. Oxidation of sulfides with hydrogen peroxide (or peracids) yields sulfoxides and then to sulfones. A certain sulfoxide compound such as dimethyl sulfoxide can be used as an effective oxygen source in the oxidation reaction of primary and secondary alcohols to aldehydes and ketones. DMSO easily is reduced to dimethyl sulfide and water is taken up by the electrophile. oxidation procedure is very mild and tolerates a variety of other functional groups, including those having oxidizable nitrogen and sulfur atoms.

Organosulfur compounds are widely used in refineries, steamcrackers, aromatic extraction and petrochemical manufacturing as they acts as hydrotreating catalysts, initial catalyst improvers, sulfur source and catalyst presulfiding. Sulfoxide (R2SO) is any of various organic sulfur compounds having the group -SO (sulfinyl group) whereas sulfone (RSOOR) with the group -SO2 (sulfonyl group). They are derived from oxidation of sulfides. They are widely used as solvent of both extraction and reaction as well as intermediates for the synthesis of textile chemicals and pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals. Dimethyl Sulfoxide is used as an effective extraction solvent and solvent improver for the separation of aromatic compounds (benzene, toluene and xylenes) from aliphatic hydrocarbons, and for fractionation of unsaturated components (olefins and alkynes) from saturated feedstock. It is used as a thermally stable medium for carrying out chemical reactions to make pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals (especially pyrethroid insecticides) paint and coating materials and biocides. Its pharmaceutical grade can be used as a as a local analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent. Sulfolane is used as a extraction as well as a reaction solvent. It is used to separate aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene and xylenes), It is used to separate n-propyl alcohol and sec-butyl alcohol. It is used to purify natural gas streams and for fractionation of fatty acids into saturated and unsaturated components. It is used as a reaction solvent for the preparation of aromatic sulfonic acids, pyridines, isocyanates and pharmaceuticals. It can also be involved in the halogen exchange process and polymerization process. It is used as a plasticizer and curing agent.

Organosulfur compounds have diverse applications in the organic synthesis as organosulfur sources into target organic molecules in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, adhesives, biocides, agrochemical products, lubricant and fuel additives for high pressure, surfactants, water treatment chemicals, dyes, flavors & fragrances, and photographic chemicals.

Sulfonamide is an organic sulfur compounds containing the radical -SO2NH2 (the amides of sulfonic acids). Its molecular structure is similar to p-Aminobenzoic acid (PABA) which is needed in bacteria organisms as a substrate of the enzyme dihydropteroate synthetase for the synthesis of tetrahydrofolic acid (THF). Sulfonamides, derived from chiefly sulfanilamide, are capable of interfering with the metabolic processes in bacteria that require PABA. They act as antimicrobial agents by inhibiting bacterial growth and activity and called sulfa drugs. They are used in the prevention and treatment of bacterial infections, diabetes mellitus, edema, hypertension, and gout.

A-HA!!! sulfur. Hmm, if you react this well to the tan towels, maybe you should give acnomel a go. It's a sulfur and resorcinol based anti-acne cream (100% noncomedogenic too!). I've used it, it definitely helps. Night application only though, it's a rather fakey skin tone.

Proactiv Refining Mask:

Active Ingredient:

Sulfur 6%

Additional Ingredients:

Water, Kaolin, Glycereth-26, Omega-6 Linoleic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Zinc Oxide, Ceteareth-20, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Omega-3 Linoleic Acid, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Geranium Maculatum Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Ethoxydiglycol, Fragrance, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Titanium Dioxide.

Acnomel Adult Acne Treatment:

Active Ingredients: Resorcinol 2%, Sulfur 8%

Inactive Ingredients: Alcohol 15% (w/w), Bentonite, Carbopol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Octoxynol 9, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Water

As an acne treatment, resorcinol has a keratolytic effect, causing dead cells to slough off. The top layer of skin is removed, and pores unclogged.

Sodium metabisulfite is not the same as sulfur used in acne treamtents. Yes its a sulfur compound but its most def not the same thing. Have you use tea tree oil before?

Remember its not always the individual ingredients that clog pores or help your skin, its usually the formulation...

If the tan towel works use it

Proactiv Refining Mask:

Active Ingredient:

Sulfur 6%

Additional Ingredients:

Water, Kaolin, Glycereth-26, Omega-6 Linoleic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Zinc Oxide, Ceteareth-20, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Omega-3 Linoleic Acid, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Geranium Maculatum Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Ethoxydiglycol, Fragrance, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Titanium Dioxide.

Acnomel Adult Acne Treatment:

Active Ingredients: Resorcinol 2%, Sulfur 8%

Inactive Ingredients: Alcohol 15% (w/w), Bentonite, Carbopol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Octoxynol 9, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Water

As an acne treatment, resorcinol has a keratolytic effect, causing dead cells to slough off. The top layer of skin is removed, and pores unclogged.

Well, proactiv has a LOT more ingredients, some of which are comedogenic; right at the top, cetearyl alcohol=2, then ceteareth-20=4 (!! 5 is the worst possible score/ 0 is best). And it lacks the resorcinol that Acnomel has. I think that without the resorcinol, the sulfur is not able to penetrate as deeply, and therefore has less antibiotic action (and proactiv has a lower concentration to begin with 6% as opposed to acnomel's 8%). The clay may make a difference as well. Proactiv uses Kaolin (also known as white china), whereas Acnomel uses Bentonite (also known as Fuller's earth). Bentonite is much more absorbent than Kaolin (if I remember correctly, the most absorbent clay).

I have used the proactiv mask as well, and I never found it to be of any particular value. Never really seemed to do much of anything (except stink).

The cucumber and petroleum distillates may account for the exceptional results (penetration of the sulfur) from the tan towel...but remember, this is all just my theory - I could be way off. eusa_think.gif

Sodium metabisulfite is not the same as sulfur used in acne treamtents. Yes its a sulfur compound but its most def not the same thing. Have you use tea tree oil before?

Remember its not always the individual ingredients that clog pores or help your skin, its usually the formulation...

If the tan towel works use it

hence why i said the formulation plays a bigger role than sole individual ingredients...

hence why i said the formulation plays a bigger role than sole individual ingredients...

No I mean you may have algae extract (como=5) mid way down on the list and another formulation with it as the last. One may be worse than the other. Example was when Madelic (sp?) Acid was around, there were two different formulas. One had Algae as third on the list, the other as the fifth. Some people complained the MA was giving them more acne (pass the inital purge,etc).

I wasnt talking about putting two different products on (Criso and BP)

In addition if tea tree (by itself) may not have worked for him before, maybe its the tea tree & cucumber, or whatever some other combo thats doing the trick. I dont think you can really single out one ingredient all the time.

Well, proactiv has a LOT more ingredients, some of which are comedogenic; right at the top, cetearyl alcohol=2, then ceteareth-20=4 (!! 5 is the worst possible score/ 0 is best).

According to a Tan Towel sales representative, the texture of the towels help to exfoliate the skin. In fact, they say you don't even need to exfoliate the skin prior to applying the Tan Towel.

Personally, I use a dermbrasion cloth (from eBay) twice a day every time I cleanse my skin. After working up to this frequency from once a week, I notice that my skin is a lot clearer.

Good luck.