Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superbhoy80

IPL for Acne Scarring

I'm considering having IPL for Acne Scarring, but would like to hear of the experiences any of you have had with it. I have a mixture of shallow scars and some deeper ice pick type scars on my cheeks. Does it give a good improvement and what is the down time like if any? I contacted a clinic today asking them about what they offer for Acne Scarring and they advised me of this treatment, but im very aware of clinics who are more interested in lining their pockets with our money, than providing a good solution to our problems. I would very much appreciate your advice. Thank you smile.gif

I'm considering having IPL for Acne Scarring, but would like to hear of the experiences any of you have had with it. I have a mixture of shallow scars and some deeper ice pick type scars on my cheeks. Does it give a good improvement and what is the down time like if any? I contacted a clinic today asking them about what they offer for Acne Scarring and they advised me of this treatment, but im very aware of clinics who are more interested in lining their pockets with our money, than providing a good solution to our problems. I would very much appreciate your advice. Thank you smile.gif

I was quoted about £80-90 per session.. with 15 mins for each session and a total of 4-6 sessons. so that whats out at about around £500. Won't be worth it if it's not going to bring any decent results. I already wasted £350 on glycolic peels. Typical of some clinics who don't give a damn about our feelings and needs, and only care about lining their pockets with our money.

IPL is generally used to improve redness and hyperpigmentation. If you do a search, you will find that there are a few people who discuss their IPL experiences. I do not recall any poster who has had any success with IPL for acne scarring. But it might improve the appearance of scarring (IMO temporarily). I remember that windycitycassie had subcision with IPL a few months ago, and she seemed disappointed.

It is a lot of money, and I hope you research it further before making a decision to go through with it.

IPL is generally used to improve redness and hyperpigmentation.  If you do a search, you will find that there are a few people who discuss their IPL experiences.  I do not recall any poster who has had any success with IPL for acne scarring.  But it might improve the appearance of scarring (IMO temporarily).  I remember that windycitycassie had subcision with IPL a few months ago, and she seemed disappointed.

It is a lot of money, and I hope you research it further before making a decision to go through with it.

Here ya go, you have to type "IPL laser" (in quotes) in the search tool.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...hlite=IPL+Laser

You might also want to research V-beam. It is also a pulsed dye laser very similar to IPL. I have had some dermatologists tell me that I have severe scarring and some that have said I have shallow, superficial scarring. I think I'm somewhere in the middle, depending on the part of my face. I'd get some other opinions if I were you, if you can afford it. You're lucky that you have a lot of great dermatologists down in the crescent city.

IPL is generally used to improve redness and hyperpigmentation.  If you do a search, you will find that there are a few people who discuss their IPL experiences.  I do not recall any poster who has had any success with IPL for acne scarring.  But it might improve the appearance of scarring (IMO temporarily).  I remember that windycitycassie had subcision with IPL a few months ago, and she seemed disappointed.

Thanks kooky for the reply! I tried doing a search for IPL but it doesn't show up much, then I tried intense pulse laser but it just brings up anything with the word laser. The thing about my scars is they are still lumpy in parts and chemical peels will only serve to irritate them more. So I am wondering if it is more just a vascular thing that could only be helped with something like laser. Scars can be so different on everyone, but although the doctor classified mine as "superficial" they look like a finger print in some areas, not quite a "empty whole".

IPL will do nothing for scars..

iknow how it works..so take my word for granted..

it dont do anything for scars..

its not like co2 laser or something

I did IPL three times. My advice, don't waste your money. It does nothing for me. Not even the redness. Its supposed to control the oilies too, nope. Not for me.

I tried laser (ND-YAG) last month for the first time, and I can see some difference. Pores a tiny bit smaller and the redness is reduced. Not sure about the indented scars, cause I have too many to notice. Going for my second session tomorrow. I took a package of 5 sessions, and I think the doctor gave the first session for free.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize you had to have quotes in the search engine here.

WendyTwendy, is the laser you had like v-beam? Did you bruise from it and take longer to recover. I had a free test sample of v-beam from a derm about 6 months ago and I didn't see any results, but I did just have one session. It didn't bruise me but made the area temporarily swell and get redder for a day. It seems like the derms will buy one or the other, v-beam or IPL. I'll probably hold off on either since I'm not in the money at the moment. I have been using scarzone and it does mask some of the redness and provide good sunscreen so if nothing else it is worth the money for that. I think I'm giving up on other topicals for now.

I still want to recommend Elidel for vascular redness, after I have my baby I'm sure I will go back to that as it did reduce redness afer using it for a month. However, there can be side effects in some people.

Super- a woman recently posted her IPL with levulan for acne treatment in the long "ALA PDT" thread. You might pay attention to her treatment and see what you think. But she's only on her second day of recovery.

And I think IPL stands for intense pulsed LIGHT.

Tricia, I'm not sure about V-Beam. But I think the laser I did is also called cooltouch. Done my second session yesterday. No, no bruising at all for me. The face turned pretty red right after the laser, but recovered almost completely the next morning.

Super, while IPL does not work for us (or me, at least), it might work for you. Try do discuss this with your derm. Everyone's skin is different. You can try to reduce your risk of being 'duped' by reading posts here, and if more than 50% of people said IPL is useless, then, better save your money and do laser.

Good luck

I think i'm gonna give it a miss. Been doing a bit of research on peoples experiences with it and it a lot of people say it's just not worth it so i'm not going to bother.

V-star pulsed dye laser doesn't treat deeper scars too well. I have had 5 treatments done for my red marks. It helped fade them a lot, and has made my face baby soft, and my pores have shrunk a bit. As for bruising, it all depends on the person. I bruised once at the absolute highest setting. The only bad thing about Vstar is that you get an initial breakout about 1 week later. Nothing too bad. It is a great treatment though, and affordable. My derm charged me $250 plus a $40 lab fee (bullshit!) for my whole face!