Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brenton

Going to derm tomorrow, but skin OK

Hi,

I have had mild to moderate acne for about three years and recently my doctor referred me to a dermatologist with a referral letter recommending Accutane.

Thing is, my skin is at its best at the moment (not much active acne).

In my referral letter my diagnosis is "moderately severe inflammatory comedogenic acne with occasional pustules on his face, chest and back that has not responded to 3 years of Bactrim".

Will the derm judge it solely on what she sees on the day or take my word that it is good at the moment but will for sure flare up in a few days?

Thanks,

Brenton

the derm will make his/her own decision based on what they see when you visit them.

My derm used to joke that "Yeah, I know, everyone clears up just before they come in to see me." He understood. Don't worry, your doc should still be able to tell that you had recent or past acne by looking at your skin. With your letter, you'll be just fine.

:o)

dont go on accutane if you dont need to. perhaps you are phasing out of acne. If you can get a prescription filled, do so, but dont had it in unless your acne flares up bad again.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I went today and my dermatologist said that she knows that acne can flare up then can be calm for a period. I was prescribed (Ro)Accutane pending blood tests.

Unfortunately she said she thought she could see some minor scarring, I thought I may have made it through unscathed...

Do derms give worst case scenarios? My other doctors have all said they don't see any scarring.

Hope Roaccutane isn't too bad.

Thanks,

Brenton