Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiara

Milia/Whitehead???

Hi everyone,

I just started using the Clear Skin Regimen 4 days ago and so far so good. Having said that, I have a little promblem.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what these little white bumps are on my chin, right under my lip and around the edges of my mouth. I've read some of what you guys have been saying about milia and I think it might be that. But they are not around my eyes. If I try to squeeze them a tiny bit of gunk comes out, but there are too many and too tiny to squeeze all of them.

What is the difference between milia and whiteheads? Does anybody have pictures?

Will bp help?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I asked my derm this the other day, as he removed what he said was milia from near my eye but says that similar ones that are deep in the skin on my chin are "Tiny cysts." I said, after he extracted the one near my eye, "SO just what is the difference in a tiny cyst and a milia (singular?? milium?)" HE says, "nothing really, if we looked at them under the microscope they would have the same bacteria etc. But someone else in another thread on this list said milia are related to high cholesterol. I wonder if someone else has a more pathology savvy derm?

From my own experience, milia are deeper in the skin and are much harder to extract than whiteheads. They will look like a non-inflamed whitehead for long periods of time and can eventually become a pimple, or encourage pimples in the area. I hope someone has a more informative comment... good luck.

Could someone post a pic of what this milia is? I'm trying to figure it out, but everywhere I read this, everyone has different opinions....so, I really don't know what it is... eusa_doh.gif

I asked my derm this the other day, as he removed what he said was milia from near my eye but says that similar ones that are deep in the skin on my chin are "Tiny cysts."  I said, after he extracted the one near my eye, "SO just what is the difference in a tiny cyst and a milia (singular?? milium?)"  HE says, "nothing really, if we looked at them under the microscope they would have the same bacteria etc.  But someone else in another thread on this list said milia are related to high cholesterol.  I wonder if someone else has a more pathology savvy derm? 

From my own experience, milia are deeper in the skin and are much harder to extract than whiteheads.  They will look like a non-inflamed whitehead for long periods of time and can eventually become a pimple, or encourage pimples in the area.  I hope someone has a more informative comment... good luck.

I'm totally perplexed myself. The BP cleared me up nicely (in terms of big pimples, cysts, all that nasty stuf), but I've found that I have an incredibly stubborn case of "milia" or tiny cysts, or whatever it is. On the right side of my face, it almost completely covers my lower cheek all the way down to my chin...it's so annoying! Let's keep these threads alive in the hopes that someone with a good solution to this can tell us what it is.

My skin was definitely bad before using BP - and I'm grateful for it - but evenon retin-A, tetracycline, oxy pads, etc. I don't ever recall having anything like this. I guess it's a trade-off...c'est la vie.

sounds good! keep us posted

....until then, I'm gonna try to use the Clean and Clear blackhead scrub before I apply BP at night...and I'll do something in the morning, just haven't thought of exactly what yet

Man I have soo many, don't even know if a derm could get them all out...but I guess it's worth a call/try. I don't even know if I officially have "milia" because these are really, really tiny, and most seem to be close to coming to a head - but they just won't! I'm gonna try the C + C blackhead scrub (has SA in it) w/ some BP at night, and see how it goes. I've been pretty vicious to my face recently, slathering 2 x the normal amount of BP I ever needed to use at my clearest...so maybe that's been contributing to the situation. I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Real Bling...yeah, I read that article before. Promblem is I'm not sure it's milia and I don't have the money to go to a derm to figure it out much less get rid of it. Thanks for replying though. ~Ti~

Hey Real Bling...yeah, I read that article before.  Promblem is I'm not sure it's milia and I don't have the money to go to a derm to figure it out much less get rid of it.  Thanks for replying though.  ~Ti~

My dermatologist told me that to get rid of milia on the chin, one could use something like retin-a or differin. The only other way would be extractions from a facial. The options don't look promising...but maybe she's wrong!

My dermatologist told me that to get rid of milia on the chin, one could use something like retin-a or differin. The only other way would be extractions from a facial. The options don't look promising...but maybe she's wrong!

Milia is generaly in people w/ dry skin

Whiteheads are more common in oiler skins

Out of the two milia is harder to treat and most of the time need medical assistance, e.g burn off, extracted, etc...