Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi All,

So after doing 5 months of accutane...and now three months later, my acne is coming back. Not as bad. And, I don't regret doing it. If it gets really bad again, I may have no other choice but to do it again.

But, I have been absolutely obsessed with finding out why. There is a reason. Ok, so hormones affect the glands in the skin and the epithilization and all that jazz. Gotcha. And different things work, like bcps for women and accutane and all. But why? Why ? Why do really young people get it? Why do old people get it? Why?

Ok. Acidity. Let's talk about it. The PH level in your body affects your physiology and becomes toxic. One of the first symptoms of acidity is acne.

So, how do we bring the acidity down? One harvard trained Dr. Leonard Horowitz talks a lot about the pharmaceutical industries. Some of his theories sound conspiracy in nature, but it's always good to keep an open mind to learning new things, ideas. He says to bring down the acidity in your body, you need to eat foods that will promote alkalinity. You've read people here swearing about lemon and water mixes? Well, surprisingly that brings down the acidity. When you add lemon/lime to water there is a calcification process that causes the mix to turn alkaline not acidic in your body.

When I think back on when I started to get acne, it was way past my teen years. The acne happened because all I was eating were acid forming foods, stress (which ups the acidity in the body) etc. So technically, your diet doesn't cause acne rather the acidity that is formed from the wrong foods promotes acne. Guys, i'm dead serious about this. Let's do a challenge. Let's try to minimize acid forming foods and see what happens to our skin? I tried it for 2 days by eating watermelon and drinking water with lime and the lesions started going down and not as painful. I want to be cured. I want you to be cured. We can do this. Now, if your acne is scarring right now: don't wait any longer. I would do the accutane. That's solely my opinion. But, accutane is not a cure as it only resolves the symptom (acne) of something else going on.

I will post more in a bit.

Please tell me what you think?

I love you all

GO

I will paste a list of alkaline forming foods soon

GO: Very informative post, and I'd bet that you may be on to something. I'm looking forward to you next post, and thanks for your researching work!

Goldie

Hi, I've heard the adults in my family say something like that too - about how our diet's PH isn't balanced, etc. (They read it somewhere or something, and I think they installed this special water filter specifically for this purpose - alkali water. I don't know since I'm far away from home now. sad.gif) I've never considered it seriously, but I definitely believe it can cause the body system to get outta whack!

I will be awaiting your update on alkali foods so that I can have something to look out for.

P/S: Shouldn't this post be under Diet/Holistic Health if it deals with food? Just a thought.

Hi GO, I remember when you went on the tane : )

I have been off since Jan. I did start breaking out about a month later but not bad. Well, its starting to get bad again so I am going to see the derm soon.

Man what a tease, I was so clear those 5 months and no sides.

GO

I agree that acidity in the body could be a cause as well.

I posted back a while that overnight, my youngest son had two long term cysts suddenly go down half way. We tried to think over what he had eaten or drank during the day. The only thing he had different from usual was a glass of fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice along with the juice of 1 lime and the lime actually put in the drink. He drank this same concoction the next day and the 2 cysts went away.

He had been drinking Just Pik't brand grapefruit juice and we noticed it was the pink variety. Well, I tried to reorder a case and it came in and the juice was lighter in color and so I am not sure if it will work the same way. So I would go for the Ruby Red grapefruits.

The guys also drink lemon water following acidic meals.

They are actually doing pretty well right now.

I'll also find the list of alkaline foods helpful.

Hope we can figure this out!! biggrin.gif

same position as you (guardidly optimistic). After accutane im commited to an acne diet. Hopefully it will be THE cure.

That's the thing though. I think that it would be unrealistic to follow one diet since EVERYTHING I eat is ACIDIC. But, cutting down and balancing by eating ALKALI foods has to help. I know I should be posting this in the holistic forum but quite frankly, I never go there. As a taner, i'm concerned not only for eating the right things before and after tane but also during tane since tane affects the liver and the acidity of the body.

Here are some foods to avoid in large (all the foods I eat are found on this list so it's troublesome. But I started eating watermelon and drinking lime juice and the pimples were less inflamed. Also, I ate a lot of chocolate and woke up with a massive migraine and 2 new lesions).

ALKALIZING

VEGETABLES

Alfalfa

Barley Grass

Beets

Beet Greens

Broccoli

Cabbage

Carrot

Cauliflower

Celery

Chard Greens

Chlorella

Collard Greens

Cucumber

Dandelions

Dulce

Edible Flowers

Eggplant

Fermented Veggies

Garlic

Green Beans

Green Peas

Kale

Kohlrabi

Lettuce

Mushrooms

Mustard Greens

Nightshade Veggies

Onions

Parsnips (high glycemic)

Peas

Peppers

Pumpkin

Radishes

Rutabaga

Sea Veggies

Spinach, green

Spirulina

Sprouts

Sweet Potatoes

Tomatoes

Watercress

Wheat Grass

Wild Greens

ALKALIZING

ORIENTAL VEGETABLES

Maitake

Daikon

Dandelion Root

Shitake

Kombu

Reishi

Nori

Umeboshi

Wakame

ALKALIZING

FRUITS

Apple

Apricot

Avocado

Banana (high glycemic)

Berries

Blackberries

Cantaloupe

Cherries, sour

Coconut, fresh

Currants

Dates, dried

Figs, dried

Grapes

Grapefruit

Honeydew Melon

Lemon

Lime

Muskmelons

Nectarine

Orange

Peach

Pear

Pineapple

Raisins

Raspberries

Rhubarb

Strawberries

Tangerine

Tomato

Tropical Fruits

Umeboshi Plums

Watermelon

ALKALIZING

PROTEIN

Almonds

Chestnuts

Millet

Tempeh (fermented)

Tofu (fermented)

Whey Protein Powder

ALKALIZING

SWEETENERS

Stevia

ALKALIZING

SPICES & SEASONINGS

Cinnamon

Curry

Ginger

Mustard

Chili Pepper

Sea Salt

Miso

Tamari

All Herbs

ALKALIZING

OTHER

Apple Cider Vinegar

Bee Pollen

Lecithin Granules

Molasses, blackstrap

Probiotic Cultures

Soured Dairy Products

Green Juices

Veggie Juices

Fresh Fruit Juice

Mineral Water

Alkaline Antioxidant Water

ALKALIZING MINERALS

Cesium: pH 14

Potassium: pH 14

Sodium: pH 14

Calcium: pH 12

Magnesium: pH 9

Although it might seem that citrus fruits would have an acidifying effect on the body, the citric acid they contain actually has an alkalinizing effect in the system.

THESE ARE THE FOODS YOU SHOULD AVOID TO SOME DEGREE:

ACIDIFYING

VEGETABLES

Corn

Lentils

Olives

Winter Squash

ACIDIFYING

FRUITS

Blueberries

Canned or Glazed Fruits

Cranberries

Currants

Plums**

Prunes**

ACIDIFYING

GRAINS, GRAIN PRODUCTS

Amaranth

Barley

Bran, wheat

Bran, oat

Corn

Cornstarch

Hemp Seed Flour

Kamut

Oats (rolled)

Oatmeal

Quinoa

Rice (all)

Rice Cakes

Rye

Spelt

Wheat

Wheat Germ

Noodles

Macaroni

Spaghetti

Bread

Crackers, soda

Flour, white

Flour, wheat

ACIDIFYING

BEANS & LEGUMES

Black Beans

Chick Peas

Green Peas

Kidney Beans

Lentils

Pinto Beans

Red Beans

Soy Beans

Soy Milk

White Beans

Rice Milk

Almond Milk

ACIDIFYING

DAIRY

Butter

Cheese

Cheese, Processed

Ice Cream

Ice Milk

ACIDIFYING

NUTS & BUTTERS

Cashews

Legumes

Peanuts

Peanut Butter

Pecans

Tahini

Walnuts

ACIDIFYING

ANIMAL PROTEIN

Bacon

Beef

Carp

Clams

Cod

Corned Beef

Fish

Haddock

Lamb

Lobster

Mussels

Organ Meats

Oyster

Pike

Pork

Rabbit

Salmon

Sardines

Sausage

Scallops

Shrimp

Scallops

Shellfish

Tuna

Turkey

Veal

Venison

ACIDIFYING

FATS & OILS

Avacado Oil

Butter

Canola Oil

Corn Oil

Hemp Seed Oil

Flax Oil

Lard

Olive Oil

Safflower Oil

Sesame Oil

Sunflower Oil

ACIDIFYING

SWEETENERS

Carob

Sugar

Corn Syrup

ACIDIFYING

ALCOHOL

Beer

Spirits

Hard Liquor

Wine

ACIDIFYING

OTHER FOODS

Catsup

Cocoa

Coffee

Vinegar

Mustard

Pepper

Soft Drinks

ACIDIFYING

DRUGS & CHEMICALS

Aspirin

Chemicals

Drugs, Medicinal

Drugs, Psychedelic

Pesticides

Herbicides

Tobacco

ACIDIFYING

JUNK FOOD

Coca-Cola: pH 2

Beer: pH 2.5

Coffee: pH 4

** These foods leave an alkaline ash but have an acidifying effect on the body.

The website I found this on was: http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/foodchart.htm

And, the website ranks the foods that are most alkaline and most acidic. It's fascinating really.

Dr. Leonard Horowitz talks about the connection between acidity and alkalinity. Be aware that I still believe that hormones affect the sebaceous glands which cause over production of sebum, slow epithilization etc etc. Bacteria grows...but....the body has to be hospitable to such processes. It's an interesting theory and it certainly does help to check it out. Some of the most alkalinizing foods are delicious, and eating this way seems healthy and certainly not restrictive. I know that eating certain foods cause me to feel ill. Maybe i've found my answer why.

Please respond as I'd like to continue this investigation for as long as possible.

Sorry, the ALKALIZING FOOD ARE THE FIRST LONG LIST. THESE ARE THE FOODS THAT YOU SHOULD EAT. THE ACIDIC FOODS TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE FULL LIST, ARE THE ONES THAT YOU SHOULD AVOID smile.gif

Do you ever wonder why: You're eating well. Watching that you eat healhty and then boom!!! Maybe you're eating really well...but just the wrong kind of well. Maybe you're eating too many acid forming foods???

We have control now people. Imagine? All it takes is eating the RIGHT foods. Pharmaceuticals can't sell that now can they?

I dare all of you. Take the 2 week alkalinizing test with me. We'll start it on the same day and support each other. That is: We can eat anything and as much of that anything from the ALKALINIZING chart. You in? smile.gif

This is great information. Thanks! It certainly won't hurt to change my diet and see if it helps. I hadn't heard about lemon w/ water. I drink so much water, how much lemon do you need to add? How many times a day? Thanks again for sharing all of your research!

I'm assuming coffee is out...I need Starbucks every morning, that would be a hard one to give up. Do you have to totally stop having everything on the avoid list or is every once in awhile okay? I don't know if I could totally give up wine either. What do you cook with if you can't use olive oil? Sorry for all of the questions smile.gif

Hey Guys,

I'm happy to share info smile.gif I think, since there are so many alkalinizing foods, you should try to only have these for a while and see how the body reacts. Starbucks? I know. I'm addicted to the lattes. But, let me tell you something....if you drink water with some lemon or lime in it, you won't crave any other drink. I swear. It was amazing. I got up, squeezed have a lime into a small glass of water. Drank it. I felt this warm/cool rush over myself and then the morning hunger pang just left. It was so strange. I don't know if there is any correlation between high acidity in the body and overeating but I really feel that i've caught on to something worth looking into. Why not try the challenge for 2 weeks? The worse that could happen is that our skin might clear? Also, let me say that coffee is really bad. I know how hard it is to give something up that you love, but that's sacrifice pure and simple. I'm sure that you could incorporate coffee back into your diet later on down the road but for now....why not try the water with lemon. Also, I don't recommend adding lemon into a water bottle since you don't know how it will affect the inner plastic lining. It may corrode the lining and you may be injesting the plastic particles which are toxic. So, try to use a glass bottle if you're on the go, or a glass to drink from.

I'll post some more interesting info later wink.gif

The following list will help you determine what your level of acidity may be. Symptoms are divided into categories ranging from beginning to advanced. The information was taken from Dr Baroody's book "Alkalize or Die".

Beginning Symptoms

1. Acne

2. Agitation

3. Bloating

4. Breath Rapid, Panting

5. Chemical Sensitivities to Odors, Gas Heat

6. Cold Hands, Feet

7. Constipation

8. Diarrhea

9. Dizziness

10. Energy, Low

11. Food Allergies

12. Hard to Get Up in the Morning

13. Headaches, Mild

14. Heartbeat, Irregular

15. Heartbeat, Rapid

16. Heartburn

17. Hyperactivity

18. Joint Pains, Traveling

19. Mouth, Metallic Taste

20. Mucous Excessive in Head, Stuffiness

21. Muscular Pain

22. Panic Attacks

23. Pre-Menstrual Anxiety & Depression

24. Pre-Menstrual & Menstrual Cramping

25. Sex Drive, Low

26. Tongue, White-Coated

27. Urine, Hot

28. Urine, Strong Smelling

Intermediate Symptoms

1. Asthma

2. Bacterial Infections, Staph, Strep

3. Bronchitis

4. Cold Sores, Herpes I & II

5. Colitis

6. Concentration Loss

7. Cystitis

8. Depression

9. Disturbance, Hearing, Smell, Taste, Vision

10. Ear Aches

11. Endometriosis

12. Fungal Infections, Athlete's Foot, Candida Albicans, Vaginal

13. Gastritis

14. Hair, Falling Excessively

15. Hay Fever

16. Headaches - Migraines

17. Hives

18. Impotence

19. Insomnia

20. Memory Loss

21. Numbness and Tingling

22. Psoriasis

23. Sinusitis

24. Stuttering

25. Swelling

26. Urethritis

27. Urinary Infection

28. Viral Infections, Colds, Flu

Advanced Symptoms

1. Crohn's Disease

2. Cancer, All Forms

3. Hodgkin's Disease

4. Learning -Disabled

5. Leukemia

6. Multiple Sclerosis

7. Myasthenia Gravis

8. Rheumatoid Arthritis

9. Sarcoidosis

10. Schizophrenia

11. Scleroderma

12. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis

13. Tuberculosis

Now, I know it's very easy to get carried away and self diagnose. But, honestly, I saw this list and I was absolutely floored. That is because, I checked yes to 25 of the Beginning symptoms. That is certainly scary. I alway thought that acne was a curse and to some extent it is. But really, if we could only decode what our body is trying to tell us then we wouldn't be so hateful of the communication. In responding to this message, we may stop the underlying contention all together. I'm dead set on doing this people. I started today. And, I will post every day to tell you my progress. I'm doing a 2 week anti-acidity diet. That is, I will eat from everything on the alkali list I posted as well as try to eat from the foods that produce the most alkalinity in the body.

I hope to hear from you guys soon.

GO, I think you are you are so on the ball here. What i eat definitely affects my skin. My body is so sensitive to everything, it seems. My skin has definitely improved since i've stopped drinking coffee. I am also on accutane but was still breaking out well into my treatment, but much less after i decided that i was going to make it work. I stopped drinking my daily coffee, drank water instead, and i also have stopped wearing makeup. I am loving my skin right now and could not care less about the 2-3 blemishes i still have. I am definitely printing out the list of foods you've posted. Thank you so much for being so persistant in your research eusa_clap.gif

GO, sweetie, I wish you luck with this - - truly. I'm four months off and still clear so I'm hoping it was just Accutane that I needed and now it's over (please, please, please eusa_pray.gif let it be over!).

I just wanted to add in this regard that while on Accutane, I drank water with lemon all the time (plus took so many vitamins and supplements) and although it didn't cure my acne, it made my complexion look better and helped with the redness. So, as Snow said, I think you're on to something.

Check out the Diet/Holistic Health folks. They might be able to give you more information as to whether or not something like this has worked for them.

And, as always, I wish you the best and you are one tough cookie - - I have faith that there is completely clear skin in your future!

Wow, GO, I wish you the best of luck with your experiment! I can't wait to hear your results from it. It's certainly a very interesting theory. It seems like lots of the "acidic" foods listed though are super healthy, which I find confusing. I'm not sure I could give up my love for seafood or my daily bran cereal... not to mention my coffee! Though I've long suspected that coffee doesn't help my complexion any. Basically it seems that if you went vegetarian and cut down majorly on carbs, you'd have a fairly alkaline diet.

Good luck!!

Mae

GO.....you have convinced me to try to give up Starbucks...starting tomorrow! This will be hard and my coworkers will probably offer to go to pick some up for me when they see how I am without my morning mocha wink.gif But I'll give it a try, I'll try anything that will help my face and it will save me a lot of $$$. Keep us updated on your diet, I'm going to try it too. I already follow South Beach (except for the coffee part), it's not too different.

Hey Tara,

No prob. You can always ask for any type of tea though. You don't have to by pass the green and white cup altogether smile.gif Good luck and remember to try to eat more foods from the alkalinizing list. I swear I'm noticing a bodily difference already just by eating more of these foods.

Wow, am I the only one who remembers Mookis from absoluteacne.com (whatever happened to that place?) and his insistence on spreading the dogma of Cayce. Yeah your probably right, I just got (and still am) so freaking paranoid about what I eat, its scary, and a lot of times socially unacceptable or difficult.

Quick sidenote, I have pretty much given up on the diet approach (a little bit) in persuit of the regimen, have you tried it? No success?

PH Strips. At an extremely bored moment with an ex, we decided to test our PH throughout the day.

Hey, I don't believe in diets for acne resolution. But this isn't about "diet" well I guess it kinda of is. It's about PH. I mean, some people can eat whatever and not get acne, this was me in high school. But, your physiology changes as do your emotions. When I was going through really bad stuff, my body turned acidic and so all that I eat was sensitized. I really think there's something to this so try to eat more alkalinizing foods and see what happens. It's impossible to avoid all acidic foods, nor do I think it's healthy....but if we can change our PH maybe we're winning half the battle right?

Looking back, the time when I broke out the worst was when I was stressed and eating a lot of Carbs. Maybe PH has to do something with PCOS as well.

Hi GO, I haven't had Starbucks for 2 days! I'm drinking lemon water in the morning and Green Tea in the afternoon. So far so good. Thanks for the inspiration.