Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Honolulu_Baby

Indents from Cortisone Shots: Do they smooth out or not?

](*,) I developed cystic acne after my laser resurfacing. My laser doctor injected me with cortisone. He did not tell me that I would have indents from the injections until a week later when I went in for another check-up. I looked great...then he informed me about the indentations. About 3 days later, I got 3 huge indents where the cysts had been.

I am totally in despair--I look worse than before I have the resurfacing. :):D

He tells me that the indents are permanent. Why inject cysts with cortisone if you're left with big indents?? I recently had a big cyst that didn't get injected, and the scar I got from it was not as bad as the cyst that had been injected.

I went to a dermatologist and asked her about the indents from the cortisone shots--she claims they will disappear over time.

Who is right?? Has anybody had cortisone indent scars that have disappeared completely? Or are they permanent?

Any info would greatly appreciated!

I had 2 or 3 sunken holes due to cortisone injections. I know they look awful. Anyway all of mine came back up. I can't see or feel them anymore. I've read about 1 person saying she was permanently scarred though. So far 3 derms have told me this is common, with a high chance of it coming back up.

So don't feel too bad yet. I don't think they are scars. Besides if you'd left the cysts alone that might have scarred you. The scars I have are all from cysts that lasted a little too long.

I got a big indent too from a cortisone it came back up for the most part (not entirely) about 6 months later. But I have a scar in that area and the scar is permanent. :) I was not told either and I was hesitant about getting the shot.... I will never get another cortisone shot under any circumstances again. ever.

my last one came up pretty fast compared to the first time round, in about 3 months. The first injection, the hole took about 1 year to fill back in, and not completely. That only happened couple of years later. For the most recent one which came up quickly, I was taking vitamin C and MSM and occasionally putting some topicals in that area, whatever I could lay hands on, Merdema, etc. Not asking you to get the same things, but I think vitamins and some scar cream may speed up the process.

hope this helps!

Yeah - my experience with these cort shots is that they seriously do look like big deep scars - but gove em 3 - 4 months and they dissappear - its creepy... and I cannot explain it.

=D> Thank you everybody! I had the injections around the end of February....guess it might take mine longer to smooth out (SIGH)...but at least there's hope.

Thanks a million to you all for responding to my post!

:)/