Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I didn't report in last week. I was on vacation.

Vegas was great, despite a continuing number of break over zealous pimples my wife and I had a very nice time. Being away from work for a little bit was also fantastic.

So, how am I doing after 7 weeks? Not great.

I went yesterday to the Derm to get a cortisone shot for yet another brooding cyst that was forming on the never ending hell which is my left cheek. I swear, that area is just one after another after another... I really have a 3" square area on my left cheek that is just red and white polka dot looking. It sucks. The swelling is quite reduced from the shot, but it's not gone yet. Maybe by Saturday it will just be a slight discoloration, here's to hoping...

Other spots? Sure. Long timers still holding on, a few on the high cheek bone on my right side, a few on my forehead. Nothing really overly brutal, but not fun to have.

I also have a LOT more small bumps all over. I've been noticing this for a few weeks now, but it is really pronounced these days. Now, these are not visually a problem for me. I could absolutely live with it, but I can feel it when I do my cleaning and bp application. Loads of tiny little bumps.

The wrinkle lines are also getting worse under my eyes despite my best efforts to put moisturizer on first and not get BP in those areas.

I continue to use AHA cream before BP on the troubled areas at night, admittedly I have enough that I might as welll just put it everywhere, but I like to pretend it's not THAT bad... Ha.

The Derm apointment yesterday was interesting. I couldn't see my regular doc, so I ended up with someone new. He was pleasent enough, but not fantastic. I talked to him a bit about prednisone, but he was resistant to give me a course. He REALLY urged me to go with accutane and stop screwing around. One thing I thought was curious is he said most people don't get an "initial break out" (uh huh, sure...) and that 95% of people are clear forever after one 5 month course (right again, I'm sure...)

I don't know, maybe those are the clinical results, and we only hear from the people that are having a bad time, I suppose on the net we are much more likely to hear the non-success stories then we are the success ones...

Anyway, I'll go another month with the regimen and see if I finally turn that corner, if not I guess I really will bite the bullet and go on the accutane. I'm not looking forward to the fear of the things that could happen to me, but I can't be this unhappy about my complexion much longer as it is seriously affecting my ability to enjoy my life and that's NOT a good thing. I have found myself snapping at my son and shying away from my wife hiding away in my home office way too much over the last few months and that's just not any good at all...

So, there is my lack luster update, maybe next week will be better.

wow 30, not so good right now eh? I wish I could cheer you up. You are on week 7 right?

Some posted last week while you were on vacation how they had almost given up on the regimen, but cleared after week 11, so I just say, hang in there another month and let's see how it goes.

As for Accutane, I did a 6-month course about 6 years ago. I did NOT have any initial breakout at all, it began clearing me up pretty much right away and I only got clearer and clearer. It was great, except for I did get significant depression. Anyway, all went well, my derm also told me that for most people it is a cure, but it wasn't for me, my skin stayed clear for maybe 4 years, then it came back. I think alot of times, after Accutane, either it clears you, or it doesn't , and people just give up and don't go back to see the derm, figuring there isn't much more you can do if Accutane didn't cure it. So that is why I think Derms think Accutane cures more people than it actually does in reality, people don't go back so the derm assumes the person is cured. Accutane sure didn't cure me, and I didn't go back to tell my derm, the regimen is now keeping me clear. But for some lucky people, it does seem to cure them, I just don't know of any personally.

Anyway, you are a smart guy and know the whole deal, so if you end up going with Accutane, I hope you stick around here and keep a log of that too. Acne is a frustrating thing to deal with, especially at this age, so I hope you can find some peace with it real soon.

Glad you had a good vacation!

Well I didn't report in last week. I was on vacation.

Vegas was great, despite a continuing number of break over zealous pimples my wife and I had a very nice time. Being away from work for a little bit was also fantastic.

So, how am I doing after 7 weeks? Not great.

I went yesterday to the Derm to get a cortisone shot for yet another brooding cyst that was forming on the never ending hell which is my left cheek. I swear, that area is just one after another after another... I really have a 3" square area on my left cheek that is just red and white polka dot looking. It sucks. The swelling is quite reduced from the shot, but it's not gone yet. Maybe by Saturday it will just be a slight discoloration, here's to hoping...

Other spots? Sure. Long timers still holding on, a few on the high cheek bone on my right side, a few on my forehead. Nothing really overly brutal, but not fun to have.

I also have a LOT more small bumps all over. I've been noticing this for a few weeks now, but it is really pronounced these days. Now, these are not visually a problem for me. I could absolutely live with it, but I can feel it when I do my cleaning and bp application. Loads of tiny little bumps.

The wrinkle lines are also getting worse under my eyes despite my best efforts to put moisturizer on first and not get BP in those areas.

I continue to use AHA cream before BP on the troubled areas at night, admittedly I have enough that I might as welll just put it everywhere, but I like to pretend it's not THAT bad... Ha.

The Derm apointment yesterday was interesting. I couldn't see my regular doc, so I ended up with someone new. He was pleasent enough, but not fantastic. I talked to him a bit about prednisone, but he was resistant to give me a course. He REALLY urged me to go with accutane and stop screwing around. One thing I thought was curious is he said most people don't get an "initial break out" (uh huh, sure...) and that 95% of people are clear forever after one 5 month course (right again, I'm sure...)

I don't know, maybe those are the clinical results, and we only hear from the people that are having a bad time, I suppose on the net we are much more likely to hear the non-success stories then we are the success ones...

Anyway, I'll go another month with the regimen and see if I finally turn that corner, if not I guess I really will bite the bullet and go on the accutane. I'm not looking forward to the fear of the things that could happen to me, but I can't be this unhappy about my complexion much longer as it is seriously affecting my ability to enjoy my life and that's NOT a good thing. I have found myself snapping at my son and shying away from my wife hiding away in my home office way too much over the last few months and that's just not any good at all...

So, there is my lack luster update, maybe next week will be better.

Thanks you two. I'm clearly struggling to stick with it another month, it seems so easy to throw in the towel about now and just get the accutane and move on. However, I WILL give Dan's regimen the full three months. I said I would stick to it, and damn it! I will.

Thanks you two. I'm clearly struggling to stick with it another month, it seems so easy to throw in the towel about now and just get the accutane and move on. However, I WILL give Dan's regimen the full three months. I said I would stick to it, and damn it! I will.

A man's only as good as his word. wink.gif

i'm on the 7th week as well, although my acne is less sever than yours, i have somewhat the same feelings about the condition of my skin. it is a struggle.

30, please tell us what products you're using and exactly what you're doing morning and evening. Try to leave nothing out. Thanks.

Hey Dan,

Products I'm using currently:

Cetaphil Gentle Cleaning Bar

Your BP Gel

Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion SPF 15

Walgreen 8% AHA

I've been spot treating in the evening with the AHA for about two weeks now, and I switched to the Eucerin Skin Renewal from Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Creme and Lotion about the same time.

My regimen is spot on per your instructions save for the addition two weeks ago of adding some spot treating with the AHA in the evenings (in the interest of full disclosure I did use the AHA cream twice on my whole face)

In the morning:

1. Shave with Cetaphil bar, and rinse my face lightly after. (5:30)

2. Walk around muttering to myself for a few minutes, and then get dressed. (5:35)

3. Apply full amount of BP gel, taking time to do it slow and gently. (5:45)

4. Check my morning email, find out who won last nights red sox game and feed my fish (5:55)

5. Apply Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion (6:10)

6. Mutter/curse (6:12)

7. Apply a tiny touch of Eucerin redness reducing cover up gunk to left cheek area (6:13)

8. Sigh (6:14)

9. Kiss Wife Good Bye (6:15)

In the evening:

1. Rinse with warm water and Cetaphil bar

2. Watch the pre-game of that day's red sox game on tivo

3. Spot treat with AHA

4. Watch the first two innings of sox game

5. Apply full amount of BP gel, taking time to do it slow and gently

6. Decide I must have a snack, but don't find anything I want to eat in the kitchen

7. Mutter/curse

8. Kiss Wife Good Night

9. Fall asleep in the 4th or 5th inning of the game

Seriously, I think that's pretty spot on. I really am doing everything the right way, and pretty much have from day one. I just have a really brutal complexion, and it's been this way for a few years now...

I'll take any advice you have to offer, and hang in another month, after that it's off to "TainVille"

Hey Dan,

Products I'm using currently:

Cetaphil Gentle Cleaning Bar

Your BP Gel

Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion SPF 15

Walgreen 8% AHA

I've been spot treating in the evening with the AHA for about two weeks now, and I switched to the Eucerin Skin Renewal from Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Creme and Lotion  about the same time.

My regimen is spot on per your instructions save for the addition two weeks  ago of adding some spot treating with the AHA in the evenings (in the interest of full disclosure I did use the AHA cream twice on my whole face)

In the morning:

1. Shave with Cetaphil bar, and rinse my face lightly after. (5:30)

2. Walk around muttering to myself for a few minutes, and then get dressed. (5:35)

3. Apply full amount of BP gel, taking time to do it slow and gently. (5:45)

4. Check my morning email, find out who won last nights red sox game and feed my fish (5:55)

5. Apply Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion (6:10)

6. Mutter/curse (6:12)

7. Apply a tiny touch of Eucerin redness reducing cover up gunk to left cheek area (6:13)

8. Sigh (6:14)

9. Kiss Wife Good Bye (6:15)

In the evening:

1. Rinse with warm water and Cetaphil bar

2. Watch the pre-game of that day's red sox game on tivo

3. Spot treat with AHA

4. Watch the first two innings of sox game

5. Apply full amount of BP gel, taking time to do it slow and gently

6. Decide I must have a snack, but don't find anything I want to eat in the kitchen

7. Mutter/curse

8. Kiss Wife Good Night

9. Fall asleep in the 4th or 5th inning of the game

Seriously, I think that's pretty spot on. I really am doing everything the right way, and pretty much have from day one. I just have a really brutal complexion, and it's been this way for a few years now...

I'll take any advice you have to offer, and hang in another month, after that it's off to "TainVille"

Appreciate the thoughts Water Revolution, but I'm not sold on your theory and I've sworn to give the regimen the full 3 months before I alter anything. I don't want to get into specifics, mostly 'casue I'm pretty tired, but I have no major concerns about my skin absorbing the products that I am currently using, they certainly are not the *cause* of my acne, as I get it on products, off products etc. Granted, I've never used purified water, but I've certainly gone months at a time without using any products at all on my face and there was no improvement. I am also sold on the fact that BP does in fact negatively impact p.acnes (yes, I've read WAY more then I care to admit about this over the last few years).

Appreciate the post.

doesn't it sound silly that something should take 3 months to start working? A skin cycle is 30 days long. Plus, it should begin improving your skin immediately if it is good for it. All these regimens punish your skin and try to get the skin to change it's habits.

Punish the skin and causing it to stop oil production will help you a little bit but remember, OIL on the skin is good.

OIL DOES THIS...

1. Protects the skin from bacteria

2. Protects the skin from UV rays

3. Protects the skin from dirt

why do you think the oil is there? Yes some people's glands are reacting out of control and the glands get blocked causing acne, but we should address WHAT is blocking the glands and NOT try to stop the oil.

Its similar to depression, I hate to get off topic but its similar. Some people get out of depression without drugs that will produce dopamine. A dopamine producing drug doesn't handle the problem, it just postpones it. Years go by and the subject will be addicted to dopamine producing drugs because the brain will stop producing it.

Same thing with oil. Stopping the skin from producing oil is not the problem, the problem is the blockage of the glands.

I read an article in USA today last week on allergies. There is a new theory about allegies called hygenic allergies. What is an allergy? It is an immunological response that causes inflmation. Why? because the body thinks that it needs to get rid of whatever is causing the allergy. Well, what is a hygenic allergy. Doctors theorize that because of the extreme levels of hygene that go into birth and taking care of children now adays that kids are developing allergies to common things that may be in water or other highly common things a person may run into day to day. WHY? because the body is built to fight off disease and respond to pathogens. Well, when the environment is SO clean as children the body will develop allergies because it naturally needs something to fight off to keep the immunological functions healthy. So, because kids now a days aren't exposed to as many dirts and toxins, the body decides to start fighting off everyday things.

What does this have to do with skin. Well, if your skin has developed allergies that are sealing closed the follicles then acne will come. Think of how many chemicals and things in our dirty water your skin is exposed to. Sunscreen, soap, dirty water, topical meds. AHHH! the skin is crying to have nothing put on it. It absorbs all of that stuff!

by the way, I completely agree with you that BP kills the bacteria. But it also kills the skin oil and irritates it.

Dan's own words and every other doctor: "you may experience redness or itchy skin" doesn't that say enough. Its like pummeling the skin into submission.

3 months? That just doesn't make sense, a skin cycle is only 30 days man.

I guess you have to keep your commitment. But after you use the regimen for so long try the new water revolution. Infact, although the products you use damage, it wouldn't hurt to use great water with your regimen. I think you even notice an improvement right there.

I hear ya... I really do and I do get the sense that your motives are pure (I did not get that impression when I read your first post by the way, it's a tad too infomercial feeling for me)

I have a 4 stage ro/di unit that I use for my saltwater reef tank, I replace the di resin when my TDS meter measures more then 5ppm so I've certainly got plenty of super pure water at hand. If things fall through here I will consider it. However, I still think you should go change your main post, cause way too many people are making BIG BUCKS selling water wink.gif

I must go sleep now.

I hear ya... I really do and I do get the sense that your motives are pure (I did not get that impression when I read your first post by the way, it's a tad too infomercial feeling for me)

I have a 4 stage ro/di unit that I use for my saltwater reef tank, I replace the di resin when my TDS meter measures more then 5ppm so I've certainly got plenty of super pure water at hand. If things fall through here I will consider it. However, I still think you should go change your main post, cause way too many people are making BIG BUCKS selling water wink.gif

I must go sleep now.

Guest Dwight_Sheila69

No product works right away. BP is one of the fastest things ive seen work for ppl.

WaterRevolution, your cause is fine, but come on, this is the forum for people needing help in DAN'S regimen, we didn't ask for yours.

Your anti-acne.org regimen thing is a little annoying.

I went yesterday to the Derm to get a cortisone shot for yet another brooding cyst that was forming on the never ending hell which is my left cheek. I swear, that area is just one after another after another... I really have a 3" square area on my left cheek that is just red and white polka dot looking. It sucks.

Thanks Lisa, it's a great thought. In my case though, I ride a motorycycle 99% of the time I am going anywhere. I do have on a helmet which covers this area of my face (but doesn't press or rub against it) the only area of my face that actually gets touched by the helmet is my high cheek bones, and this is not normally a problem area for me.

Definately appreciate the info.

Hey 30. That was hilarious. I loved reading your daily regimen.

I doubt it would be a problem, but I personally kinda hate Walgreens AHA. I used it a few times and broke out a little bit. But most people like it, so it might not be a big problem. I much prefer the Alpha Hydrox AHA, and would recommend you use that instead.

Other than that, so long as you're not irritating your skin or getting too much sun exposure, it sounds like you're doing everything pretty well. Give it some time and see. However, when you say you have it pretty bad, I'm not sure what that means. If you have really severe acne, topical treatment might not be enough. Accutane was the only thing that got my severe acne under control.

Dan, thanks. I had fun writing it.

I'll see if I can come across some of the Alpha Hydrox AHA, I've not see it locally. I don't think that the AHA has really come into play at all.

Not too much sun at all, spend nearly no time outside during daylight hours this time of year.

Tough to describe "having it pretty bad" mostly what I mean is that I get persistant breakouts on my left cheek in one "zone" other then that I seem to get one to three cysts a month. But the real thing that makes me say "I have it bad" is because (most) anytime a pimple is not just a little whitehead or blackhead, it's big, painful, extremely red, and hangs around for what feels like forever. I've said time and time again, I can live with a pimple here and there, I'm just having trouble living with a large red painful spot for litteraly weeks at a time, particularly when I often have two or three in some stage or another.

I can say, and have said.. that I am currently better off then I was before I started. I have faith that if I can just get what's clearing now taken care of, I might be turning that corner, it just takes a long time for my active spots to clear sometimes (weeks!).

Another month I'll give it, then off to 'tane, my derm has already said just give her the word and she'll schedule my blood work.

thanks for checking in on me.

im sorry to hear the news. sometimes i swear i think if we all jsut stopped using medications we would be so much better of. it seems like the more one puts on his/her face the more he/she has troubles (breakouts, dry skin, redness, flaking, irritation, reactions, etc).

also, you are definitely right, im sure we only hear the bad news on the net, i mean, who would come to an acne site if their face completely cleared up, right? they dont need it anymore. hmmmmm. on the flip side, ive heard a bunch of bad things about accutane, of course, i havent done any reserach on it...so i am certainly no expert.

best of luck to you smile.gif

30, in response to Dan's suggestion about the Alpha Hydrox, brand. I was never able to find it locally, but it can be ordered from drugstore.com or alphahydrox.com.

Thanks Brandy,

I suppose I could just go ahead an order it, it's not like I haven't bought everything else a few times already. At least none of these products are too expensive. I think I've bought 6 bars of soap, 3 moisturizers, and a half dozen bottles of BP gel in the last few weeks, why not step up to a second purchase of AHA!