Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forest

Toronto Acne Clinic, don't do it!

I use ortho-tricyclen to clear my pimples, but I am very lazy so when I ran out of the pills I didn’t renew. Everything seemed fine for more than 5 months, until a week ago where I break out horrendously with like 20 pimples at a time. So I go straight away to my doctor and get pills again. Now I don’t want the pimples and cysts to scar me so I decide to look around for a new derm, since my old clinic had long since closed down and I couldn't even remember the name of it, or how to contact the dermatologists.

I found a place called “The Toronto acne clinic� around yonge and eglinton. There I met a loser doctor there name ‘Slipowicz’ (I think).

http://www.torontoacneclinic.com/

A detailed rant follows.

The doctor doesn't use dry ice to prepare the area, just alcohol before the injections. I thought maybe they didn't need to nowadays, but now I think he's just stupid.

He didn't inject them all, he just said that there were too many for him to do. In contrast, I remember my old derm used to do every one. (He even injected a mole on my face once just because i was curious about the effect). This loser just seems too sloppy and not exacting enough.

While he was injecting my pimples, he said that they were "nasty".

I'm not sure what to say about this comment, I've seen acne much worse and as a skin care professional, so should he have (unless of course he just injected wrinkles in rich people).

As I said there were about 20 pimples in all, yes a pretty bad breakout but not facial deformation. they were mostly concentrated on my chin, on the right side.

Well, I have too many memories of when I actually had very bad acne to be fazed by this. But if this had happened when I first broke out 10 years ago and I met this loser, it probably would have been very emotionally scaring especially if my acne was as painful and obvious as it used to be.

I also have to wonder if he was deliberately trying to make me feel bad in order to better hawk his wares.

He then suggested Clear Light therapy. ( uv rays that you sit under for 20 minutes. The price is 55 dollars per session, and usually they recommend 8 sessions.) .

That’s pretty funny since I had already told him I had started taking bcp pills again, and that they used to work great on me. Upon being told such information I would think a true doctor would suggest to see the effect of the birth control pills before trying to prescribe a whole set of glycolic peels and the clear light therapy. (The machine was right there beside the bed-thingy).

I’m sure all of this unnecessary therapy would have costed a thou altogether. Lovely.

In conclusion, don’t go to this place unless you like feeling insecure and have a lot of money. You could possibly open your wallet at the door and let him take what he wants. :) I miss my old dermatologist. I’m going to find another place.

Also, it sucks that Torontonians have to pay to go to the dermatologist now, bah I paid that loser 25 dollars. I feel like going back and stealing something from the waiting room. :-

i went to an acne clinic in kitchener, the doctor was ok...he gave me neo-medrol lotion to apply on acne and did a blood test. will go back in a week. i will let u know how it goes.

i also stopped taking tri-cyclen for a few months, and then i got serious breakouts now......maybe breakout is the consequences of stopping it.

Well my doctor prescribed minocyclen, and suggested another dermotologist. I think i might make an appointment with him next week.

I told her what happened with him and her comment was, "He probably drives a very nice car", hehe.

I have now finished my 1 month of bcp's and this is my 4th pill of minocycline (I take 1 100 g pill per day). I hope this will work soon :)

Oh! I keep on forgetting to ask someone about the Actinac, if i see him I'll ask him if he would or could prescribe it. whoooo.

So nobody here has ever been to this clinic? huh, it was my impression that it was a famous clinic, heheh, shows me.

:)/

forest,

how come u need to pay 25 bucks for that derm?

i think it's free...unless that derm needs referral, but u didn't get referred?

i went to that acne clinic...no need to pay a penny!

www.acnecareclinics.com is the place that i went.

i think it's not bad.......i went to another loser derm, she didn't even ask me to do a blood test.....i think she's not knowledgable enough.

Hi Mila thanks for your response,

No, I wasn't referred to this place, I didn't want to wait more time for an appointment for a doctor then wait for a dermotologist, I just wanted to get cortisone injections for my pimples. Then I figured that would be enough until the bcp's kicked in. The 25 dollars was for the visit but I had the injections included in that. 10 years ago I know stuff like this was covered by OHIP but I think it's changed now right? If cortisone shots are still free then I guess I'll go to the dermotologist recommended by my doctor.

Also I wasn't aware that dermotologists regularly gave blood tests. Why would they? :)

forest,

hehe....i have never heard of cortisone injection. is it something that kills the acne instantly? when i went to that acne clinic in kitchener, i didn't have any big ones..so maybe that's why the doctor didn't offer me any.

anyway, blood test....that was becoz he thought mine was due to hormones...so he wanna check if my hormone level is ok....i will see him again next week....

right now i am using that neo-medrol lotion, working quite well on me...but i understand that it's an antibiotic treatment so later may be not useful for me anymore.

The doctor just injects your pimples with a cortisone solution. Really bring the pimples down in a day. Funny, I've never heard of neo-medrol, hehe. The next time you go ask your derm if s/he will do it.

forest,

hehe, i dun have a big acne now (and touchwood, i dun want it anymore).

i am really interested in if it's a free service (injecting the cortisone thing)...

You see I don't think that's free anymore. It shouldn't be too much though. At the most 10-25 dollars. It's really worth it especially if it's one of those pimples that would have lasted for weeks and scarred you. Ask how much it is at the clinic and tell me how it goes :)

forest,

from another post learnt that u were from korea!!

i was using some skincare, the brand is IOPE, i think that's causing me breakout!!!! Laneige also doesn't seem too suitable for me too..too bad, i like these two brands a lot....

I don't really use those brands, of course I recognize them, I'm surprised you didn't mention Amore, hehe. From what I remember, a lot of korean products seem too heavily perfumed and only for regular skin. But maybe that's because I was given a lot of korean make up from family members. I only use cleansers, etc that have no perfume in it. If you're looking for a good gentle cleanser you should try 'Spectro-gel', probably your derm has mentioned it. Get the fragrance-free kind with purple lettering. :)

hehehe..

iope and laneige are from AMORE.....maybe i know their products more than u do! lol [-X

i am not sure if they are heavily perfumed but for sure some of them are just too greasy for me......their makeup stuff is not bad i think (i don't makeup regularly but i do have some makeup stuff from laneige)....the colours are great......

how old are u? i am 26..... :)

29, and I'm very sure you know more about them than I do. I guess I am biased, when I first started getting acne, my mommy went out and bought a whole bunch of stuff from amore, i.e. cleansers, toners, moisturizers. Did not like them one bit. There was a lot of other stuff she got me as well, especially things that I now know were for like 50 yr old women with wrinkle problems, lol.

What do you use from them?

hi Forest,

i have bought quite a lot of their products.....

-Laneige cleansing gelly (still using it, i think it's not bad as after cleansing my face is not dry)

-laneige cleansing milk (was a bonus from them, i dun like it though)

-laneige water sleeping pack (was also a bonus, i use it sometimes when i go to bed)

-laneige turn & turn essence (i can see my face more 'bright' after using it, but i stoped now as i have some acne problems now, dunno if it's caused by it)

-IOPE safety sun treatment SPF24 (using it as sun block after moisturizer)

-IOPE eye cream (use it twice daily)

-IOPE whitegen cream (for whitening, but i found it too greasy and may have caused me acnes)

-IOPE peeling cream (is not bad, milder than normal facial scrub)

-laneige water bank essence (was also a bonus, i used it as a moisturizer, but after 1 hour, my face is full of oil, dunno why, is either too oily or too dry for me, so my face secrete more oil)

-laneige city protect essence SPF10 (same as water bank essence)

so i decided they are not good for me (except for the eye cream and gel cleanser that i am still using).

i bought some of their cosmetics products, but they are not bad:

-laneige clear base (green, i only used once, as i am not a person who make up a lot, is not bad, my face is little bit whiter but not too exaggerating)

-laneige loose powder (is my first loose powder, i think it's ok can't compare with other)

-laneige eye shadow (this is quite good, color + texture are both good)

-laneige lipgloss(the lipgloss is good)

-laneige lipstick (bonus, dun like the color)

what kind of skincare do u use now? i switched back to biotherm (b4 i was using it) acnopur moisturizer....

i also stopped to eat hot/spicy food, and i dun have new acne growing at this moment. only have a few acne marks left...

i feel so bad as i love korean food so much (yuk gae jang, kimchi, bibimbap, etc, but i dun think i can eat them anymore) :D

Lol I love it too, don't stop eating it. Hot foods also helps your digestion and increases blood circulation. Also if you read a lot of the posts here, what breaks a lot of people out seems to be refined sugar and bread, not in too much korean food hehe. Also esp. with kimchi, that has lactic acid, good for stomach bacteria. I think that would probably help esp. since the minocycline kills off a lot of good bacteria in your stomach :D

What I am using right now is Spectro Jel cleanser, Serious Skin care clarifying treatment w/ 2% salicylic acid, glycolic renewal treatment, and super hydrate. I use a lot of products from the serious skin care line. I used to use the cleanser from this line but stopped a year ago. I ordered it again, it was so good, hehe.

I had a conversation about the SSC products in another thread,

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=6463

They are coming back to Toronto on Friday 27, you could watch them on the shopping channel.

hi forest,

i think i may need to change my skincare later too. did u talk with your derm about the 'serious skincare'? i haven't heard about it b4 but it has something to lighten acne marks!! seems good...i will see if my derm knows anything about it...but my skin seems to like some particular moisturizer and hate others...and when it hates others, will be very bad.

i like kimchi but i am really afraid it will break me out..maybe when i have no more acne, i will eat kimchi again and see what happens. thanks a lot..let me check out tsc now... :D

Ah, I just came from the restaurant, I just shared with a bunch of people, jam pong, cha chung meon, and bi bim bap. I am stuffed, hehehe. I love jam pong :D

I have used the fading fluid before loooonng time ago. I found an old bottle, and can tell you the ingredients.

Active Ingredients: 2% Hydroquinone

Ingredients: Purified water, Propylene Glycol, aloe vera gel, sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite, dipotassium azelate, salicyclic acid, citric acid, phytic acid, xanthan gum, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben.

I think this stuff was good but slow. On the good side, I don't remember it breaking me out. You should probably get this product if the price is comparable to other 2% hydroquinone products. If it's more expensive, then I wouldn't bother.

forest,

u are tempting me!

anyway, i love jam pong too....i like to drink the hot soup...but now i am not dare to do it.

i will see that 'acne doctor' from the acne clinic in kitchener on tuesday, i think i will ask him about all these ingredients..i have no clue about it!! i am using Dr Hauschka's rhythmic night conditioner for 3 days, my bf notices my acne marks got lighter...dunno if it's really due to this night conditioner.

Hi Forest - i used to live in Toronto and went to Dr. Geller. Have u heard of him? I think he's quite good. In fact, he has a number of clinics all around TOronto. You should check him out. I'm sure u'll find him much better than the Toronto Acne Clinic!

Good luck!

Omg!! That's who i went to!!!! He was in a Woodbridge clinic. at least that was the clinic I went to. The trouble is I went to him at least 10 years ago, and several people have told me that that clinic has closed down now. Do you know where he is now? LOL, i sound like a stalker.

<quiet voice> that's because I am.

:D

Forest

forest and kitty,

hahaha, when i see Dr. Geller, i was thinking if he's named 'ross'??!!!