Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Undermine

Newsflash:Dieting does not effect Acne.

Where do you guys get this ludicrous notion in your head that certain foods cause acne?

True or False? Acne flair-ups are a result of greasy food choices.

"False. In fact, doctors rarely ask patients to amend their daily diet as a means of reducing acne breakouts. Certain foods MAY aggravate acne, but will not cause acne. So if you've been told that it's all your fault that you've got acne, quit shouldering the guilt, because it's NOT your fault at all."

True or False? Acne can be caused as a result of dieting.

"False. Acne is very weakly tied into dieting. While certain herbal supplements and multivitamins may help the problem at the core, they are temporary solutions. Eating chocolate or drinking soda will not CAUSE acne, worst cause scenario is inflammation and that's a rare occurrence."

That's from a Dermatologist.

DAmn what an ignorant post trying tomtell people diet is not important i mean obvieously if u come to this page u have some kinda acne and therefor diet already affects it. Its not like diet could start acne bvut once it is there it influences it aa lot ALOOOOOOT!!!!

Where do you guys get this ludicrous notion in your head that certain foods cause acne?

"False. In fact, doctors rarely ask patients to amend their daily diet as a means of reducing acne breakouts. Certain foods MAY aggravate acne, but will not cause acne. So if you've been told that it's all your fault that you've got acne, quit shouldering the guilt, because it's NOT your fault at all."

"False. Acne is very weakly tied into dieting. While certain herbal supplements and multivitamins may help the problem at the core, they are temporary solutions. Eating chocolate or drinking soda will not CAUSE acne, worst cause scenario is inflammation and that's a rare occurrence."

Oh my god Kaleidoscope I cracked up when I just saw you posted something practically identical.

What the hell were we thinkin huh.

I think the username "undermine" has to be a clue that this guy's just trying to get a rise out of us and we shouldn't take it seriously. Especially at 3am wacko.gif

Anyway, have a good nite!

Libby

Different people have different effects when it comes to acne and diet. I guess it just depends on what causes your acne. Personally, for me, diet does not effect my acne. I tried eating nothing but salads, grilled chicken, and water for months and my skin was still the same. However, there are some people that sweras that their healthy diet improves the condition of their acne. I dont think either group is more credible than the other. It is like trying to find the right regimen for yourself-one regimen might work miracles for some and shitty for others. Please guys-lets not kill each other over this topic again!!!

If you and your derm pay me enough I will prove it to you. But until then you'll just have to take my word that food can cause zits.

Yawn....

OK, seriously, I've come across a few articles, some old & some recent, that state that acne is a Type IV Hypersensitivity. Now a Type I is known as an Allergy. Type II & III seem to be Intolerancesand a Type IV is known as Delayed Type Hypersensitivity (DTH).

Acne is an Inflammatory Skin Disease....inflammation rarely occurs, um it almost ALWAYS occurs!

A Delayed Type Hypersensitivity is characterized by developing a reaction not immediately as found in allergies, but within 24 - 72 hours. Thus why it's not always easy to pinpoint what was done based on the reaction because it can be ...................................................................................delayed

OK folks, how MANY of us have repeatedly said we can break out in 2- 3 days time after eating something???

How many people have found that a certain skin care ingredient can break them out within a few days time as well???

Oh and let's not forget how certain vitamins can do this to or....Helmet Friction.

Please I've read so much, and yet still not enough, but from what I have read, DTH makes so much sense because ANYTHING can cause a reaction in an acne sufferer. When I think about all the types of acne there are, all it does is seem to furthersupport this:

ACNE:

Aestivalis

Chloracne

Comedonica

Congloblata

Cosmetica

Cystica

Detergicans

Excoriee

Fulminans

Infantum

Inversa

Mechanica

Neonatorum

Papulopustulosa

Pustulosa

Rosacea(has subtypes)

Venenata

Vulgaris

etc.

(can you tell the cause by its name?)

http://www.dermis.net/doia/abrowser.asp?zu...cne&type=search (pictures)

http://atlases.muni.cz/atl_en/main+nenadory+vlas.html (pictures)

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/acne.html (descriptions)

http://www.acnegroup.org/aboutacne.php4 (description)

So if an allergy is just called an allergy even though it has a variety of signs such as inflammation, rash, itchiness, etc....Then why can't acne just be considered one symptom of Delayed Type Hypersensitivity so that we can all MOVE ON, end this darn WAR, and get on with finding what is activitating our (skin's) immune system to do this. Just like with an allergy there are the 10 top allergens that are from the most frequently deemed allergenic foods and these can affect the majority of us as well, only instead we produce a Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity response. However you can be allergic or intolerant or sensitive, to any food, ingrediant, chemical as well, and the same goes for experiencing a DTH response.

Remember, aside from somethingin your diet, one or multiple sensitizers can cause a Skin DTH reaction such as acne, including: Hairspray, Laundry Detergeant, Spironolactone (sulfer drug can produce DTH), B12, Splenda (reminds me of Chloracne), Candida, Stress (hormones) in fact, it could be...anything.

Therefore, considering that there are so many different causes, some accepted and some aren't, ignoring that acne is once again only a SYMPTOM vs it being it's own disease caused by only one thing, can be quite detrimental in the long run (cosmetic vs. health problems). Furthermore, when you blindly, ignorantly, or spitefully dismiss EVIDENCE of other possibilities you hinderprogress, and further deny others the ability to find their answer and isn't finding our answer what we're all here for? eusa_think.gif

WORLD RENOUN *DERMATOLOGIST* Dr. Joseph Perricone proved beyond any doubt that foods that cause blood sugar fluctuations does cause acne. Perhaps it would be worth your time to get his book on the topic? He even has before and after pictures to prove it.

The hypothesis that food isn't connected acne is based on the inane, stupid, "study" done in the 1950's in which (I think) 50 people were given candy bars for a month and when they didn't break out, it was decided that acne isn't connected to food. eusa_doh.gifeusa_sick.gifrolleyes.gifeusa_think.gifwacko.gif

God help us all....that is the truth. That is how the conclusion that food consumption is in no way related to acne was reached.

Yeah those derms are brilliant, aren't they? rolleyes.gifeusa_wall.gif

I don't think its as simple as 'it does' or it doesn't' cause acne.

It doesn't seem to for me. I have acne-rosacea and have tried many experiments with my diet over the years (all while I have been off medication). Each for at least 2 months at a time (and I'm not talking about simply cutting out french fries and sweets).

I never noticed any difference as to the state of my skin.

I think it affects some people - and if you find what aggravates your skin in particular, then great! - I only wish the answer were that simple for me.

If it were true that diet CAUSES acne, without a doubt, then what about these people (we've all known them) who eat nothing but crap all their lives and never have any problems with their skin? It is not the answer for everyone - and does not explain my problems. I have read a lot of 'expert' opinions on the diet connection that say 'if you do this, this and avoid this - you SHOULD notice an improvement in your skin'. Similarly I have heard from my own dermatologists over the years, ' if you rub this into your skin - you SHOULD notice an improvement' I will believe it all when I see it.

For now, I'm sitting firmly on the fence.

Again though - I am pleased for all those who have found altering their diet has helped their skin.

Guest delta force operators

oily fish have a high rate of retainning toxins from waters..wich means oily fish absorb alot o toxins..

question..why do oily fish absorb alot of toxins?? why were oily fish designed to retain alot of stuff

if oily fish can get alot of toxins then can oily people have the same effect..we are oilly couse we retained alot of toxins in our fat cells...we were more designed to retain toxins then other people thats why we get acne

Actually Abby, there is a point in which our bowels and livers reach such a toxic load, that even diet doesn't seem to do much of anything. That happened with me. I'm 41 though, and started breaking out at age 11. I could somewhat control my acne kinda sorta sometimes with diet. However, at the end of the day, the only thing that "cured" me finally was liverflushing and bowel cleansing. BTW...lots of people with rosacea find that eliminating dairy and adding efa's in to their diet practically banishes their rosacea.

I had taken so many herbs, tinctures, birth control pills, msm, did laser v-beam treatments, got facials and peels, etc....and I truly believe that my liver and bowel were so toxic that they reached the point of no return. Unless and until I got those organs cleaned and got my candida under control, no amount of anything (including diet) controlled my acne.

Yes, I know lots of people with rosacea find cutting out dairy products helps - a great many also find cutting out wheat helps - I didnt, thats all I'm saying. These things will not work for everyone.

Possibly the only thing I havent tried is this liver flushing - how did you go about this? and do you no longer have problems with your skin?

If it were true that diet CAUSES acne, without a doubt, then what about these people (we've all known them) who eat nothing but crap all their lives and never have any problems with their skin? It is not the answer for everyone - and does not explain my problems.

Doesn't prove that it is either.

So where does that leave me?

btw - I am not from north america, and my diet has always been good, when I was growing up I was never allowed to eat processed crap. I have never in my life eaten a 'ready meal' - all the food in our house was fresh and we've always eaten tons of vegetables.

The reason I look at this forum - is not to rubbish the idea of a diet-skin link (which I said in my first post). I do think it is a area worth looking into but with a dose of healthy scepticism. I just refuse to accept the blanket statement that everyone who has acne/rosacea - has it because of their diet.

Whats wrong with that?

Doesn't prove that it is either.

So where does that leave me?

btw - I am not from north america, and my diet has always been good, when I was growing up I was never allowed to eat processed crap.  I have never in my life eaten a 'ready meal' - all the food in our house was fresh and we've always eaten tons of vegetables.

The reason I look at this forum - is not to rubbish the idea of a diet-skin link (which I said in my first post).  I do think it is a area worth looking into but with a dose of healthy scepticism.  I just refuse to accept the blanket statement that everyone who has acne/rosacea - has it because of their diet.

Whats wrong with that?

eusa_clap.gif i believe this as well! eating bad foods may only agrivate acne. but the people who believe foods can cause acne are just comparing it to the foods you can eat that will help contribute to healthier skin!!!!!!!!!!!!because if that was the case, (with eating bad foods) wouldn't you break out in places other than you face? may your whole body for instance? eusa_think.gif

I wonder why my endocrinologist keeps pushing the low-carb PCOS diet for many of her adult female patients with severe acne then?

And, I wonder about that whole thing in med school - the connection between insulin and androgen excess?

Hmm. Must be bunk because someone on a message board said so.

eusa_clap.gif i believe this as well! eating bad foods may only agrivate acne. but the people who believe foods can cause acne are just comparing it to the foods you can eat that will help contribute to healthier skin!!!!!!!!!!!!because if that was the case, (with eating bad foods) wouldn't you break out in places other than you face? may your whole body for instance? eusa_think.gif

THere is no link between what you eat and acne. This has been know for years. IF there was a link don't you think that our medical community by now would be giving a list of foods to avoid like they do with smoking and other dangerous things. DOn't waste your time experimenting with your diet and get into a derm or doctor and get it treated properly. Any other method and you will be scarred for life. Believe me I am speaking as a former acne sufferer

how can u be sure what you injest has no effect on acne????? look at people who dont eat much, skinny, people who eat a lot(especially junk) have more weight on them. Also certain foods benefit certain parts of your body, such as carrots help with your eyes(or something of that sort). but then this leads back to what i have stated before, the junk food really doesnt do anything to your body but help produce more fat, causing the body to gain weight. so when people say foods cause acne, think again, really they are just comparing the bad foods to the good ones such as carrots which actually improve the condition of the body.

sorry if this is confusing, i cant really explain what im trying to prove