Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davâ„®

Can BP and Retinol be used together?

Like for example, using BP gel topically, and using a moisturiser that contains retinol on top?

Are they compatible or does BP breakdown the retinol?- because I believe many people are using this moisturiser with Dan's regimen, and I'd like to try it. However, I'm not sure if the BP would interact with the Retinol in this moisturiser in the same way as the tretinoids do, and hence negate one another?

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....14&slmRefer=000

Used together, as in one on top of the other?

It's perfectly fine to use the two products, but it would be advisable to wait a short while before putting on the second one.

Here is what Paula Begoun says in her excellent article on fighting acne at http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....REFER=SKIN&ID=6 (her info is absolutely top-notch):

"Benzoyl peroxide negates the effectiveness of most retinoids (i.e., Retin-A, Tazorac) and therefore cannot be used at the same time. To get both benefits, you can use benzoyl peroxide in the morning and the retinoid in the evening. However, Differin (adapalene) has been shown to remain stable and effective when used with benzoyl peroxide (Source: British Journal of Dermatology, Oct. 1998, page 139). "

Cashmira biggrin.gif

Here is what Paula Begoun says in her excellent article on fighting acne at http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....REFER=SKIN&ID=6  (her info is absolutely top-notch):

"Benzoyl peroxide negates the effectiveness of most retinoids (i.e., Retin-A, Tazorac) and therefore cannot be used at the same time. To get both benefits, you can use benzoyl peroxide in the morning and the retinoid in the evening. However, Differin (adapalene) has been shown to remain stable and effective when used with benzoyl peroxide (Source: British Journal of Dermatology, Oct. 1998, page 139). "

Cashmira biggrin.gif

I would use each separately,i.e. BP in the AM and retinoids prescription products in the PM. I don't think the moisturizers w/ retinol have enough to negate the BP products. It's usually more of a marketing ploy to sell cosmetics.

I would use each separately,i.e. BP in the AM and retinoids prescription products in the PM.  I don't think the moisturizers w/ retinol have enough to negate the BP products.  It's usually more of a marketing ploy to sell cosmetics.

Here is what Paula Begoun says in her excellent article on fighting acne at http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....REFER=SKIN&ID=6  (her info is absolutely top-notch):

Cashmira biggrin.gif

Hi,

Yes that is exactly right and that is where I'm coming from.

However, is 'Retinol' affected in the same way as Retin-A?

I can't find any information on it.

Dermpro seems to be suggesting they CAN be used together?

Cashmira biggrin.gif

Hi,

Yes that is exactly right and that is where I'm coming from.

However, is 'Retinol' affected in the same way as Retin-A?

I can't find any information on it.

Dermpro seems to be suggesting they CAN be used together?

You can use retinol together. Tretinoin is derived from retinol. That FORM is neutralized by benzoyl peroxide. I have never read anything about retinol being neutralized by benzoyl peroxide. Tretionin is the part of retinol that effects skin cell shedding, etc. That is why people using the vitamin a oil, will not have as good of results as using, say, an oil that is isotretinoin. Because Isotretinoin is a form of retinol that has been found to be more successful in treating acne. Probably even more so than taking pills of tretinoin.

You can use retinol together.  Tretinoin is derived from retinol.  That FORM is neutralized by benzoyl peroxide.  I have never read anything about retinol being neutralized by benzoyl peroxide.  Tretionin is the part of retinol that effects skin cell shedding, etc.  That is why people using the vitamin a oil, will not have as good of results as using, say, an oil that is isotretinoin.  Because Isotretinoin is a form of retinol that has been found to be more successful in treating acne.  Probably even more so than taking pills of tretinoin.

I don't get it, so why did Dermpro at the top of this thread say they could be used together?

I have no idea why dermpro said this, or who dermpro is. It is an anonymous forum, and anyone can say anything about *who* they are...again, just so that you are certain, I'd suggest speaking *in person* to a professional pharmacist who is trained in this area of knowledge, or to a physician.

Best wishes,

Cashmira biggrin.gif

You can use retinol together.  Tretinoin is derived from retinol.  That FORM is neutralized by benzoyl peroxide.  I have never read anything about retinol being neutralized by benzoyl peroxide.  Tretionin is the part of retinol that effects skin cell shedding, etc.  That is why people using the vitamin a oil, will not have as good of results as using, say, an oil that is isotretinoin.  Because Isotretinoin is a form of retinol that has been found to be more successful in treating acne.  Probably even more so than taking pills of tretinoin.

Cool, someone who knows what they are talking about.

Are you a derm then?

OK, so are you saying, that although retinol is not affected by BP, it doesn't help the skin either.

So, basically, Retinol will not affect BP, but at the same time, retinol will not help the skin?

Or, is it that retinol doesn't directly affect the skin, or BP, however, retinol is converted in the skin into all-trans retinoic acid, and so, retinol does indirectly affect BP and help the skin?

It is good to get ya feedback, because no doubt when the company get back to me they be like, 'Yeah, no worries mate, use our wonderful retinol moisturiser, it will help acne and not affect your BP', and for all I know they could be talking out their backsides.

Cheers.

You have been helpful.

I'm not using retinol or ever have. I was planning to switch to a moisturiser which contained AHA, however the best one I could find also happened to contain retinol.

Could you recommend a good moisturiser available in the UK then, with AHA?

I would use each separately,i.e. BP in the AM and retinoids prescription products in the PM.  I don't think the moisturizers w/ retinol have enough to negate the BP products.  It's usually more of a marketing ploy to sell cosmetics.

confused.gif

You have missed the boat there I think.

I am not talking about using prescription retinoids I am asking whether or not one can use a moisturiser that contains retinol whilst on the regimen.

In other words, are BP and retinol compatible together?

Yes, I take your point that the retinol isn't going to be vey strong, but I am still concerned that retinol could counteract my BP or visa versa and am hoping sombody like Dermpro could shed some light on this?