Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kittenxo

Topical for blackheads

Hey everyone smile.gif

I've been on roaccutane for nearly 5 months...am on it for 7 (longer if i get my way)

It's done absolutely nothing for my blackheads (they aren't black though...more 'grey') and has definitely not made my pores less visible. If it hasn't done anything by now, i doubt that it will..

So, I'm looking for a topical that will unclog my pores...where accutane has failed (which is all over)!

Any recs? I'm soooo over this! sad.gif

Thanks xo

P.s Think I will need something strong..

Blackheads (and whiteheads) are called comedones. If you want to get rid of them, you need to use something called an anti-comedonal. Accutane is not an anti-comedonal, so it would be unreasonable to expect it to get rid of what you have, or to get your skin to stop making new ones.

The best anti-comedonal products are medications called topical retinoids, of which Retin-A is the most famous, and arguably the best. If you have acne, then you should be on a topical retinoid....

Hey, thanks lots for your reply smile.gif

I was under the impression that roaccutane would get rid of my blackheads because a) it was after i told my derm that it;s my blackheads i want to get rid of the most, that he brought up roaccutane and b) i've read tonnes of posts from people who claim that accutane "pushed" all the crap out of their skin.

I seem to be one of the unlucky few...

Thanks for the rec, I will ask my derm for some retin a next time i see him smile.gif

Here's a really great article on blackheads by Paula Begoun, who really knows her stuff:  http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=71

Interesting article. The first thing that you notice is that she has no medical or dermatological training. This is obvious because she does not know what milia are, nor does she have any knowledge at all of trichostasis spinulosa (of course, just the lack of MD, DO, PA-C, or RNP next to her name should be a big tip-off).

The second thing you notice is the great abundance of bad information. It is obvious that she is trying to sell her products, and feels the need to give poor/misleading information in order to make her products look good. This is quite a common thing for salespeople to do, and salesperson is all she is.

Beware of people whose only intent is to take your money. And yes, this includes derms as well....

I have no reason to doubt your statement that she is a consumer advocate, but if she is a consumer's advocate, then she should stick to that, because she is certainly in over her head in the area of dermatology.

But hey - it's a free country! If you want to believe someone who obviously has no formal training, then by all means please do so.....

This is a question for dermpro...

How long does it usually take for noticeable improvements for removing blackheads while using retin-A micro? I've been on it for a few months, but can't notice too much improvement in this area. I have also been using it for my red marks, and it appears it may be helping very slowly. Any recommendations here? thank you.

This is a question for dermpro...

How long does it usually take for noticeable improvements for removing blackheads while using retin-A micro? I've been on it for a few months, but can't notice too much improvement in this area. I have also been using it for my red marks, and it appears it may be helping very slowly. Any recommendations here? thank you.

Here's a really great article on blackheads by Paula Begoun, who really knows her stuff:  http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=71

Hope it helps!

Cashmira biggrin.gif

I'm soooooo glad you mentioned this, I've been posting this article all over the forum because it helped me sooo much. I use the Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment that she recommends, and my skin is almost completely clear after 3 weeks...seriously read it.

Hey, thanks lots for your reply smile.gif

I was under the impression that roaccutane would get rid of my blackheads because a) it was after i told my derm that it;s my blackheads  i want to get rid of the most, that he brought up roaccutane and b) i've read tonnes of posts from people who claim that accutane "pushed" all the crap out of their skin.

I seem to be one of the unlucky few...

Thanks for the rec, I will ask my derm for some retin a next time i see him smile.gif

Astringents are always good if they don't dry you out to much. I use clean and clear's blackhead clearing astringent, it has worked wonderfully for me. Goodluck. Pax

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! smile.gif

I'm just about to read that article biggrin.gif

I'll also look into the products you guys have recommended...thanks again!

I just find it hard to believe that anything else will unclog my pores if the most powerful med out there wont sad.gif SO gutted.

Yeah, i think my pores have stretched...when i was 15 or so i went for a facial and the beautician commented on my "small" pores. I guess everyone has small pores at the age, though...

They aren't small now, they're visible. That doesn't bother me, what bothers me is all the crap in them! evil.gif I know they are filled with stuff because...it's hard to explain...i just know biggrin.gif

Thanks lots for your help! xo

Interesting article. The first thing that you notice is that she has no medical or dermatological training. This is obvious because she does not know what milia are, nor does she have any knowledge at all of trichostasis spinulosa (of course, just the lack of MD, DO, PA-C, or RNP next to her name should be a big tip-off).

The second thing you notice is the great abundance of bad information. It is obvious that she is trying to sell her products, and feels the need to give poor/misleading information in order to make her products look good. This is quite a common thing for salespeople to do, and salesperson is all she is.

Beware of people whose only intent is to take your money. And yes, this includes derms as well....