Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poohman

Deep scars filled permanently within 3 months for cheap?

Too good to be true???

It sounds like there is a permanent effective filler that will do this for depressions and indentations.

Its called LIS.

The only thing is, this stands for Liquid Injected silicon.

There is a famous doctor in NY who does it off-label, as it is FDA approved for corneal problems, just not for cosmetic problems, I think mainly due to the whole silicon breast implant debacle.

The method used now for skin defects is serial puncture of micro-droplets, which is pure medical grade silicon. Apparantly most of the problems with silicon in general have occured from adulterated silicon and/or using it in large amounts (like injecting your bum to make it look like JLo's).

In the case of skin depressions, the doctor does a series of injections over a few months, so as not to overcorrect, kind of like Artecoll is done.

Silicon is an inert polymer similar the PMMA contained in Artecoll. The micro-droplets do the same thing as the micro beads in Artecoll do - promote collegan production as part of the encapsulation process. I don't see how this is much different then the Artecoll concept, except it is a liquid, and its a hell of a lot cheaper. You could have your whole face done, no matter how many scars for $1500 grand total after 3 separate treatments.

I'm trying to figure out right now if the injection is subdermal or intra-dermal, because if it can be placed more shallow then the Artecoll is, then I'm sure it would be effective on a greater variety of scar types than Artecoll.

I remember my subcision doctor Rapaport talking about it as a great permanent filler for 95% of the people who get it. He also said he was treating some of the other five percent for little bumps that resulted from the treatment.

What I would love to know is, are those 5% that have side effects having them because their doctor's injection technique was bad, or just because they had some sort of reaction? Interestingly, most problems people have with Artecoll go back to unskilled doctors injecting it. (Usually too shallow).

Anyway, I wanted to see what you all know/think about this treatment option. I'm not promoting it in any way, and I'm not on the verge of doing it, I'm just intrigued that something so effective and permanent is possible for such a reasonable cost.

Its a micro droplet rechnique used and I had 1 session of about 10 small amounts put in some scars last year by Dr. David orientreich - It made them look better but I needed more treatments - i borke out a lil bit a few weeks before treatment number two and I looked at it as a god send.... I dont think i want large amounts of silicone in my face when there are other things I can do like peels subcision needling etc etc....

I worry every time someone mentions silicon - if you think about all those breast implants that have gone wrong because silicon was rejected by the body as something alian. The risk is too much I think - may be long term side effects.

I agree, Maya. I've read quite a few first hand accounts of people who developed terrible lumps in the spot where they got injections and they won't go away.

Sheesh....who wants to deal with that? ](*,) =; :-k

exactly - ive had very minimal amounts done to me and am actually VERY VERY VERY VERY VEEEERY glad i broke out before my second set of injections.... it made me stop and think about what I was doing. i dont know if that makes any sense but it just made me think more about what i was doing.... and if it makes any sense, and not to scare anyone, between december and february i was getting veeery wierd small uninflammed comedones that took like 3 weeks to unplug themselves and when they did it was a wierd waxy substance, could have been sebum but i never ever ever had acne like this before... since i have very very very shallow scarring i think the doctor injected it too high in my skin and those "pimples" were actually the silicone making its way out of my body 8-[ i was supposed to have between 6-7 sessions and i musty say that orientreich is a GREAT DOCTOR and if i ever got subcision or any other procedure like that I would go to Him as he is a "hollywood doctor" and has actually filled many celebrities wrinkles with silicone, i beleive barbara bush went to him for example....

Silicone by name has a negative connotation associated with it, but I think it is safe in the short term. I know two people that have used it, and the results looked amazing. I worry about 10 - 15 years down the road though when there is the possible chance of lumping or migration. But my research indicates that the micro-lipoinjection technique with tiny droplets of silicone has not caused any problems in the two people I know that have had it for 2 1/2 years now. So if you want to take the risk that complications might occur 10 years from now, but in the meantime the majority of your scars will disappear and you can have a mostly scarfree face for the next 5-10 years, go for it! I am a little hesitant to do it myself, but will do it as a "last" resort to correct my scars if subcision or needling do not do anything. I've talked to many doctors about this, and it seems the number favoring the use of it outnumbers the ones against it. Again, who knows about all the political issues involved, but some of the highly regarded ones use it. Check out Dr. Harvey Abrams, Derek Jones, David Orentreich, Arnold Klein, James Fulton. They all use it on their patients off the shelf. And a Jones, Klein, and Orentreich are doing clinical trials at the moment, mainly for scar correction and lipodistraphy. I think some of the horror stories of using silicone that went public were those using it illegally and not the pure grade that is marketed now...as Sili-K and Silskin.

I had heard about this a few times on the Voy board (over the last year or so).

David Orentreich well known as one of the top derms in the states and if I were to consider it, I would want to go to him. There have been a few positive postings about him and this treatment on the Voy board.

A few people had posted about Dr Fulton and apparently he had some lawsuits relating to his use of liquid silicon for scars. One poster on Voy was initially quite happy and then things wen't wrong for legal reasons, she wasn't allowed to post anymore.

Initially, I thought it sounded great. Then I thought about the future. What happens if we want to have further abalative or non-ablative or IPL treatments? Will the silicon melt together and form a lump? I had also heard of cases where people have reactions to artecoll which involves another doctor literally digging it out of their skin. Also, I'm not very keen on permanent foreign substances in my body (except in life saving situations).

I called dr orentreich and asked him if its ok that I get needling/subcisoon and/or smoothbeam done and he said I would be fine - I only had 1 session of the LIS injections done tho so keep that in mind...

I already had 1 session of smoothbeam done - and my next is on tuesday... and I am fine :-/