Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Mel-101

Dermetologist Appointment Q's

Hi, .. You may think this is a stupid question, but I need to know the answer. Can you wear any make-up when you see a dermetologist? I haven't gone out anywhere in the past 2 years without makeup on, I'm very self-conscious.. Also, how long does it take for you to get an appointment? .. I've heard it takes atleast a few weeks or so to actually get in.. Thank you! :roll:

Yes, you can wear make up. I know how you feel going out without makeup. I'm so self conscious myself. The derm. will look at your skin under a big bright light in his/her office and be able to see the problems. Also, you just explaining the types of break outs you have helps the derm get a good idea of your specific problems and needs. I lived for about 3 years with great skin on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, then I developed a blood clot and will never be able to take BCP again due to the risk of another clot. I'm back again now going to dermatologist trying to get clear skin again! So upseting! :)

Also, I'd call now and get an appointment at the derm. If you are a new patient it will probably be awhile before you can get an appointment. In fact I am going to go to a new derm. that isn't taking new patient's unless you have a referral from another doctor! So I have to call my old derm. and get him to make a referral for me. Busy dermatologist! Hope that means he is really good too! :) Best of luck to you!

Hi

I know how u feel about not being able to leave the house without makeup. I thought i best go bareface to the derm as to get the best possible treatment, as my skin looks alot worse without makeup. However , this is the first time i have gone without makeup for 9 years due to acne. By the time i got to see the derm i had worked myself up so much because i was so paronoid over wearing no makeup, i broke down crying and couldnt explain myself. So embarrasing, she then turned me away and i have to do back in another 3 months due to her not being able to treat me as the treatment can cause depression and obviously wasnt a good idea for me at that time!!

Therefore i say go in makeup if you only feel comfortable that way, you can always wash it off if she asks you to, and re- apply it when you are done.

I wish i never had to wear makeup, but im not that lucky :X

I have gone to 4 derms over the past 4-5 years. I have to say that the women were far more condescending and abrupt then the two men. I am a gal, so am not stereotyping, but from what this last post said about her derm being a female, it fits. I asked a gal at health food store if she agreed with my assessment of derms (women being worse then men as derms) and she agreed!

Find a good derm word of mouth, it is the only way. But what I have done is went to a Naturopath and she really really helped! See my post just posted on My Regimen site. It takes time, 4 weeks, but you will get results if you follow their instructions, and no chemicals or prescriptions! I started it 7 weeks ago and after the first two weeks, I had horrible mass breakout, was so down and discouraged, but then in 4 weeks I could see it was getting better and better. So excited but afraid to get too hopeful. My oil production is way down and I know it is the vitamins (A, zinc, etc.) Hope you can do it, much love,

Karen aka Newcastlegirl

Thankyou for that post newcastlegirl. I did feel that she was a bit condersending towards me. I felt really silly for crying, she just didnt seem to realise what a big deal it was to me and it was my skin that was making me feel so upset. I have been refered from my doctor so im not sure how i would go about finding a different one. Thankyou for your help, i will check for your regime.

8) I just went to the Naturopath for 3rd time since late October yesterday. They all were amazed how my skin was getting better from the last time they saw me 3 weeks ago (when it was at its worst).

I think no only taking the vites, all the daily water, and herbs and minerals, but the topical 4% Niacinimide Cream, which is from a B vitamin (niacin) and totally safe, does not lose its effectiveness over time like topical antibiotics do. Only problem is you have to get it prescribed and I live close the one of the only compounding pharmacies there is in the state of Washington, called Key Pharmacy in Kent. You can have your order mailed for very little, so if you can get a naturopath or regular doctor to call it in for you, they will mail it. It works like a clindymycin cream only cheaper ($24 for 4 oz). Works well on bad acne or cystic.

Newcastlegirl

Mel,

Your post is pretty much a self-explainatory question.

Why would you want to wear makeup to go see a doctor is is gonna check your skin. He won't be able to give you an accurate examination if your skin is coverd by gunk. I understand your self-consious situation, believe me everyone on this board has been there to some extent.

Hi Mel,

I deeply feel your pain in terms of not wanting to go out without makeup. I haven't gone outside without makeup in years, and I am only 22. It's not that my acne is horrible, but I do break out from time to time and sometimes the pimples can be large, especially around my period. What's much worse is the red scars I am left with, which make it impossible for me to go out without covering my face.

I go to college so going to class and work without makeup is out of the question. It's almost like I look like a different person without makeup, and I only feel like the real "me" that I want to be when I do have it on. I hate my face underneath and it depresses me every day. One time I woke up so late for a class that I had to go with just a little concealer. I work in an office on campus too, so when I went to work after class people were saying that they didn't even recognize me without makeup, and most of them assumed that I had come from the gym. That was a really depressing day because they made me feel so bad about myself. They don't know what it's like to have acne!

On top of having acne, I'm very pale, not ivory, but usally a #2 shade in most foundations. I posted an entry called "How to get the "bare-makeup" look with acne scars" in this makeup forum, if you are interested in what I wear for coverage. A lot of makeup doesn't work for me. I tried Bare Escentuals and I was very disappointed because it didn't cover anything. I must use liquid foundation, a concealer, shimmer powder and blush or I look sickly because I am so pale and my skin has the red marks.

I just went to the derm last week and she put me on Minocycline twice a day and I am using Triaz, which is 6% benzoyl peroxide. She said she was pretty positive that my acne would clear up with this drug. I have only been on it for less than a week, and I can't start taking it twice a day until this Sunday, so I haven't seen stark results. In fact, it made my face break out a little more, and my neck too, so I wore turtlenecks all week. :( I'm hoping this is just the medicine's way of cleaning my system out.

What I really wanted to say to you is that when I went to the derm last week I went there without makeup because I was desperate for her to see what my skin really looked like. If you look at not wearing makeup that one time as something that could really turn out to be a positive for you, you will develop the courage to do so and I bet it will turn out worthwhile.

Sometimes I stay at my boyfriend's house and when he drives me back to my dorm in the morning I can't put my makeup on because I haven't showered and he's in a hurry to get to work. I ride home in the car with no makeup and I feel horrible. It's hard to say "Hey, this is me, what are you looking at?" when people stare. They are just lucky to have clear skin and they should be grateful. I would do anything to have clear skin for just one day.

If you go to the derm without makeup, him or her will be able to assess you better. Trust me on this one. And then do what I did when you're done: go home and put your makeup back on. It sucks.

Hey Newcastle,

I've just started using an over the counter 5 % Niacinamide Gel a week ago. It's called Metazene. I will give you the link if you want it. So far it has been working better then anything else I've tried and it's nice that I dont have to get a prescription. Dans regimen didn't do much for me.

My question to you is... is there a difference between Niacinimide and Niacinamide or are you misspelling this?

:shock: I believe the niacinimide/niacinamide or whatever are one in the same. As long as they are 4%. Do you live in Canada? Let me know the link if you would not mind. Now the problem I might have with the gel versus the cream (I take the cream) is that gels in any form (except pure aloe vera gel over the counter) have been too harsh for my sensitive skin. Creams work better for me, like when I tried the topical antibiotics a few years ago. Something with the gels having more alcohol in them and are too harsh for some skins. I have heard niacinimide can be obtained as a topical spray at my local health food store, but it is way lighter in strength.

I am so glad you tried the niacinimide. It is a wonder acne helper. Guess it does not work for everyone, my naturopath said, but it sure works for me. What strength is your gel, by the way????

Thanks for the feedback. Please give me the website. I paid $24 for my niacinimide cream at Key Pharmacy, the local compounding pharmacy which is wonderful. Anyone who wants that info I will be glad to send them to help them obtain niacinimide.

Karen

Hi Newcastle,

No, I am in the US.

Here is a link for lots of info on niacinamide http://gmuntz.tripod.com/niacinamide.html The guy on this website said that the 5% gel is just as good as the 4% cream, he's tried them both. He didnt post an update but I e-mailed him.

and here is where I bought it http://www.lifelinknet.com/siteResources/P...es/Metazene.asp It's called Metazene. I love this stuff. It's $20 for 2oz and 5% gel.

Where did you get yours?

To answer your question about how long it takes to get an appointment, I think it has to do a lot on where you live and how many dermatoligists are into "cosmetic" (meaning acne) medicine in your area. Where I live there is only one derm that really treats acne... therefore it took me 3 MONTHS to get an appointment (for the first time)... 3 days left... can't wait!!!