Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manolis_04

Any1 on SAW PALMETTO?

Does anyone use this herb.. i read that it is good in bouncing bak the converstion of testoterone into a more active form of DHT. I was thinking of taking this because my skin gets quite greasy too.

I took a Saw Palmetto one day and a few hours later I had a huge cyst. I doubt it was the Saw Palmetto, but for some reason it scared me away. I'de like to know more about the herb..and is it even effective for a female with acne? I know it is supposed to help with enlarged prostates for men.. I don't know the other benefits.

Appernenty if blocks the conversion of testosterone into its potent form... DHT. When testosterone converts into DHT this causes the oil gland to enlarge and produce more oil hence more acne. If u could stop that conversion from happening would it mean less acne?

I took saw palmetto for a long while as a substitution for spironolactone. I found that it wasn't effective for my acne. Spironolactone worked for me within a week or two.

I had decided to try this several years ago when I posted at another acne forum. I was having a lot of success w/ treating my acne using spironolactone, but a lot of males in the group didn't want to go on the drug because of the feared side effects for males. So some opted to take saw palmetto. I don't remember any posting changes in their acne problem.

Perhaps it just takes a much higher dose to experience the same effect of 20mg of spiro. I really don't know. I don't see how taking it could hurt though.

well, it didn't work for me, but I was also on Spiro at the time. When I tried it later on, at much higher doses and wasn't on spiro, it still didn't work. Hey, I guess I'm just special like that though because it HAS worked for other females and males.

Saw Palmetto has 5 abilities:

* It's a potent phytoestrogen (if you want to increase your bust size)

* It's an anti-inflammatory (why it may work to treat acne)

* It's a 5-alpha reducatase enzyme inhibitor which inhibits DHT production (why it may work for androgenic alopecia, prostate problems). This is what Finasteride, Propecia, and Avodart/Dutasteride do but is not as effective.

* It's an aromatase inhibitor which prevents testosterone from converting into estrogen. This helps prevent certain types of estrogen related cancers and possibly exists to prevent a testosterone imbalance since it's not converting into DHT (5-alpha reductase inhibitors do this).

* It's an anti-androgen meaning that it will bind directly to the androgen receptors so that despite the excess testosterone you now have built up (because it's not turning int estrogen or DHT), it's activity can still be prevented. This is what Spironolactone does, but it's not as effective as spiro.

Another thing is that the active chemical is thought to be Beta Sitosterol. Now this is 1000x more potent than Saw Palmetto and you pretty much only absorb 5% - 10% of this stuff directly from BSS whereas you only get about 2mg from Saw Palmetto. This has the ability to bind to cholesterol receptors and lower our LDL (bad) cholesterol, but because it does that it may also have anti-inflammatory abilities and one member, a male, said that this dried up his oil production.

Yup, males and females have also stated that it didn't work for them, but again it must be Standardized to 85% - 95% sterols and Brand apparently does matter. Some males found that there wasn't a significant enough difference in taking BSS vs. Saw Palmetto. However since we are all different, dosage may vary depending on what you taking and your gender.

Males:

Spironloactone- < 25mg - 50mg is enough for acne and apparently does affect their libidos as well (some don't care). One males is on 100mg plus estrogen, and of course he doesn't have a libido. There ARE other supplements males can take to boost their libido.

Saw Palmetto- 320mg a day should suffice. One male went on 640mg a day and said it didn't work sufficiently enough for him, but since it also gave him "breasts" he had stop. The side effects disappeared.

Beta Sitosterol- 300mg would give you 15 - 30mg of absorbed BSS.

Females:

Spironolactone- studies were done using 50mg, but women around here have gone on doses as high as 100mg - 200mg. Transgenders take even higher doses! I was on 200mg for 3 years, 150mg for 2 years and then 100mg for almost a year (I decreased dose over the years) and it never was even close to a 100% cure all for me, but it was for other women. Plus, it does work well if you want to control your hirsutism, and that is also dose dependent (higher dose more control).

Saw Palmetto- women usually end up needing more than the suggested dose on the bottle. Success has been found in taking 320mg, 640mg, or up to 3200mg. I personally stopped at 1800mg when I didn't see results after a few months, and this was before I found out that we may need to go as high as 3200mg!

Beta Sitosterol- 300mg - 1000mg. Gives us 15 - 100mg of BSS

That's all I've got. Hoped it helped some. smile.gif

P.S. Stinging Nettle is another herb that some people rave about. It's also an aromatose inhibitor and is further pro-testosterone and anti-estrogen, yet it does something that seems to help some sufferers...maybe it's due to it's anti-inflammatory abilities. You can find this in Tea and Capsule form.

Right diagnosis of your root problem is the key. Is your acne hormonal? Check w/ your Doc or derm and get the right diagnosis for why you have acne. THEN search for solutions based on your diagnosis. This explains why something like Saw Palmetto or other hormone based therapies would work for some but not others.

Right diagnosis of your root problem is the key.  Is your acne hormonal?  Check w/ your Doc or derm and get the right diagnosis for why you have acne.  THEN search for solutions based on your diagnosis.  This explains why something like Saw Palmetto or other hormone based therapies would work for some but not others.

Right diagnosis of your root problem is the key.  Is your acne hormonal?  Check w/ your Doc or derm and get the right diagnosis for why you have acne.  THEN search for solutions based on your diagnosis.  This explains why something like Saw Palmetto or other hormone based therapies would work for some but not others.

Guest delta force operators

My dermatologist told me the reason I had acne was because I had "excessive clogged pores". I sort of felt like that was obvious, but he has never told me more. Could it be hormonal or was "clogged pores" a valid diagnosis?

My dermatologist told me the reason I had acne was because I had "excessive clogged pores". I sort of felt like that was obvious, but he has never told me more. Could it be hormonal or was "clogged pores" a valid diagnosis?

I took it for a little over a month, didn't notice much with my skin but I did see a drop in my libido and I think I was experiencing some "shrinkage" if you know what I mean, that freaked me out so I quit, everythings back to normal now though, phew! Try it, look for side effects, quit if you dont see results, probably wont kill you.

I'm currently at the end of my Vitex bottle, so I'm looking for other options. Nearly 4 months on Vitex (1000 mg daily) and no change whatsoever. Very disappointing as I figured I had hormonal acne (located on my chin).

Before I completely give up Vitex, does anyone know if I should try a higher dose first? If I were to start Saw Palmetto, do I need to introduce it gradually? I had some 'shocks' to my cycle when I started Vitex and it took a month to regulate (sorry to be so descriptive for all you guys that don't want to hear it).

Any thoughts?

Thank-you for your input everybody.. I've been doing some research on Saw Palmetto (just ordered a bottle and will get back with the results once I've tried it)... and I think that it is only going to help hormonal acne. Because what it does is lower testosterone levels in both males and females, which is the hormone that causes hormonal acne -- but if your acne isn't hormonal, it's not going to make a difference.

Thankfully, I know for a fact that mine is hormonal because it started with puberty and it gets worse before each "cycle"... besides the fact that my mother, my uncle, and my sister all got "teen acne" and then grew out of it... I'm eighteen, and discovered that my acne is definitely following the "wave pattern" of teen acne... it starts on your forehead, then at 14 it's on your cheeks, and at 18 it is on your jawline. (That's where mine is now). Early 20's it is supposed to move to your neck and then disappear... but needless to say, I don't want to wait. :D

So I am going to give this a try, as I don't think it even has any side effects for women that I would need to worry about. I got a 600 mg dosage. Do you think that is high enough? It was actually the highest I could find, but I could take 2 per day and, if I notice any difference, move onto something more powerful. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Right diagnosis of your root problem is the key. Is your acne hormonal? Check w/ your Doc or derm and get the right diagnosis for why you have acne. THEN search for solutions based on your diagnosis. This explains why something like Saw Palmetto or other hormone based therapies would work for some but not others.

Thank-you for your input everybody.. I've been doing some research on Saw Palmetto (just ordered a bottle and will get back with the results once I've tried it)... and I think that it is only going to help hormonal acne. Because what it does is lower testosterone levels in both males and females, which is the hormone that causes hormonal acne -- but if your acne isn't hormonal, it's not going to make a difference.

Thankfully, I know for a fact that mine is hormonal because it started with puberty and it gets worse before each "cycle"... besides the fact that my mother, my uncle, and my sister all got "teen acne" and then grew out of it... I'm eighteen, and discovered that my acne is definitely following the "wave pattern" of teen acne... it starts on your forehead, then at 14 it's on your cheeks, and at 18 it is on your jawline. (That's where mine is now). Early 20's it is supposed to move to your neck and then disappear... but needless to say, I don't want to wait. :D

So I am going to give this a try, as I don't think it even has any side effects for women that I would need to worry about. I got a 600 mg dosage. Do you think that is high enough? It was actually the highest I could find, but I could take 2 per day and, if I notice any difference, move onto something more powerful. Keeping my fingers crossed!

i took beta-sitosterol which is the active ingredient in saw palmetto. My face was clear of oil but the sexual side effects were ridiculous. it definitley does what it is supposed to at least for me. I had no sex drive at all along with other weird stuff. my gf would be all ready to go and i wasnt feeling it :shock: needless to say i stopped. maybe a lower ose would have been chill bt id rather not mess with my hormones like that

Guest anonymous

GUYS

saw palmetto= equals a healthy prostate

a health prostate= healthy hair, and fertility among many other things

prostate issues are the number 1 health issues in men today.

an unhealthy prostate=hair fallout, acne, infertility, prostatitis (bacterial infection), cancer, and more

saw palmetto has been suggested to me by several urologists. i personally use prosta-strong. i've tried several others and believe me with this supplement you pay for you get.

i took beta-sitosterol which is the active ingredient in saw palmetto. My face was clear of oil but the sexual side effects were ridiculous. it definitley does what it is supposed to at least for me. I had no sex drive at all along with other weird stuff. my gf would be all ready to go and i wasnt feeling it :shock: needless to say i stopped. maybe a lower ose would have been chill bt id rather not mess with my hormones like that

so would u say it was too intense of side effects to keep on it?

i'm thinking of adding saw palmetto to my regimen. does this help with candida?

anyone recommend a good brand and dosage?

wonder if it safe to take with Romeo's regime........ :think:

N E 1 know?

N E 1 know?

yea theres other things i wont go into detail about, but that stuff really threw things out of whack. my skin looked good though since it took away all the oil. just plain saw palmetto extract may be better since it is not as strong.

N E 1 know?

yea theres other things i wont go into detail about, but that stuff really threw things out of whack. my skin looked good though since it took away all the oil. just plain saw palmetto extract may be better since it is not as strong.

so can u b more specific? was it really that bad?

i'm guessing u wouln't reccommend it.....

Mars,

I think it is at least worth a shot if you dont experience any side efects since all of mine went away shortly after stopping. As far as what I experienced it was all sexually related. anyone who doesnt like reading sexually related stuff should stop now........I would orgasm/ejaculate without any feeling or control. Not like you know its coming but you try to stop. This was like it just came out without any sort of feeling/sensation. During sex I wouldnt even know it happened, well not until the little guy decided he was done. It really freaked me out so I stopped. Im guessing high testosterone levels werent my problem.