Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Page 4 and 5 of this link http://quickmedical.com/beaumont/hand_washing%20_alcohol.pdf have information on CHG.  Something I did not know until just now reading:

"Its activity is pH-dependent (5.5 to 7.0), however, and is reduced or neutralized in the presence of nonionic surfactants, inorganic anions (e.g., phosphate, nitrate, chloride), and other substances present in hard tap water and in many pharmaceutical preparations and hand creams and organic anions such as natural soaps. For this reason, the activity of CHG is particularly formula dependent80 and may be influenced by individual differences in skin pH, secretions, and moisture level. Although efficacy data are difficult to interpret in terms of clinical impact, users may wish to compare data on reduction of flora when deciding which formulation to use."

The claim being that if you use hibiclens in a pH outside of 5.5 - 7.0, you run the risk of the effectiveness being neutralized.    eusa_think.gif

Page 11 of http://www.healthcareacademy.com/ecolab/cdc_ecolab.pdf

"because of its cationic nature, it may be inactivated by other skin preparations such as lotions containing anionic emulsifying agents. Cationic molecules carry a positive charge, while anionic chemicals carry a negative charge. If “mixed� together, these molecules may cancel each other out. The CHG molecule relies on its cationic charge to attach to bacterial cells."

I guess you're better off not using soaps or lotions after you cleanse with hibiclens otherwise you risk neutralizing the antimicrobial effect.

Page 4 and 5 of this link http://quickmedical.com/beaumont/hand_washing%20_alcohol.pdf have information on CHG.  Something I did not know until just now reading:

"Its activity is pH-dependent (5.5 to 7.0), however, and is reduced or neutralized in the presence of nonionic surfactants, inorganic anions (e.g., phosphate, nitrate, chloride), and other substances present in hard tap water and in many pharmaceutical preparations and hand creams and organic anions such as natural soaps. For this reason, the activity of CHG is particularly formula dependent80 and may be influenced by individual differences in skin pH, secretions, and moisture level. Although efficacy data are difficult to interpret in terms of clinical impact, users may wish to compare data on reduction of flora when deciding which formulation to use."

The claim being that if you use hibiclens in a pH outside of 5.5 - 7.0, you run the risk of the effectiveness being neutralized.    eusa_think.gif

Page 11 of http://www.healthcareacademy.com/ecolab/cdc_ecolab.pdf

"because of its cationic nature, it may be inactivated by other skin preparations such as lotions containing anionic emulsifying agents. Cationic molecules carry a positive charge, while anionic chemicals carry a negative charge. If “mixed� together, these molecules may cancel each other out. The CHG molecule relies on its cationic charge to attach to bacterial cells."

I guess you're better off not using soaps or lotions after you cleanse with hibiclens otherwise you risk neutralizing the antimicrobial effect.

Whoa weird I've never heard that before. Thanks for the info cartman that's very interesting.

Chris

this hibiclens is not meant to be used on the face. you people will try just about anything just to get clear huh? it takes time for acne to clear up. read what it says about hibiclens on this site.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...x=29384&tab=0#0

do you see anywhere where it says use on face? no, so therefore it is not meant to be used on the face. not this particular product anyways. not to mention it has isopropyl alcohol in it which isnt good for acne at all. you people need to really start doing some research on things youre putting on your face. you should find a cleanser that is non-comedogenic and alcohol free and doesnt have any irritating ingridients in it.

Some dermatologists recommend this product for acne, so I'm sure it's safe. Even after checking multiple websites, I still find that Hibiclens has often been used as an acne treatment.

With every treatment, people are always going to say something harmful about it, such as BP, etc.

this hibiclens is not meant to be used on the face. you people will try just about anything just to get clear huh? it takes time for acne to clear up. read what it says about hibiclens on this site.

do you see anywhere where it says use on face? no, so therefore it is not meant to be used on the face. not this particular product anyways. not to mention it has isopropyl alcohol in it which isnt good for acne at all. you people need to really start doing some research on things youre putting on your face. you should find a cleanser that is non-comedogenic and alcohol free and doesnt have any irritating ingridients in it.

It's a safe product if used right (which isn't hard at all). This applies to most products for acne out there. I guess if people think it's a little too unsafe then sadly you're missing out on a great product which could dramatically clear in a VERY short time compared to other products. I've been using chlorhexidine for about 5 months and I've had no problems whatsoever by the way. Just give it a whirl guys I think you'll be impressed.

Chris

I have been using Aloeguard now for about a month with amazing results!!! I had an initial breakout, though. I was thinking about switching to hibiclens just because I can buy it over the counter and don't have to order over the net. Do you think I would get another breakout from starting a new product or are they similar enough not to cause too much disruption? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have been using Aloeguard now for about a month with amazing results!!!  I had an initial breakout, though.  I was thinking about switching to hibiclens just because I can buy it over the counter and don't have to order over the net.  Do you think I would get another breakout from starting a new product or are they similar enough not to cause too much disruption?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Some dermatologists recommend this product for acne, so I'm sure it's safe. Even after checking multiple websites, I still find that Hibiclens has often been used as an acne treatment.

With every treatment, people are always going to say something harmful about it, such as BP, etc.

give me names of these dermatologists. hibiclens is not meant for the face. maybe the ingridient in it is, but not in this particular product.

I've been looking into using spme form of CHG for a while now and this seems the most readily available. I'm just concerned about the alcohol in it, since my face isn't oily whatsoever. I also have been using the Neosporin to get rid of red marks... that info that cartman posted made me worried that using Neosporin afterward would neutralize the effectiveness.

If I got the cleanser, this is how I would use it:

1) baking soda + water to exfoliate, rinse off completely

2) hibiclens, rinse completely

3) tone with 1/2 ACV and 1/2 Witch Hazel mixture

4) spot treat with Neosporin

5) moisturize with C&C Dual Action Moisturizer + C&C Morning Glow

So does anyone have any idea on how I would have to change my regiment if I used it? Could I still use the other things? I'm really loving the Neosporin to spot treat (but the hibiclens would be fantastic for preventing the crap that the Neosporin has to deal with on my face).

Any ideas?

-Julie

More info:

Page 27 of this link http://www.cleaning101.com/antibacterial/2...sion-AppdxA.pdf

"The efficacy of 4% CHG (Hibiclens) was compared to 5% benzoyl peroxide and the product vehicle in randomized controlled studies (Stoughton and Leyden 1987). In the first trial, benzoyl peroxide and CHG were both used twice daily for 12 weeks. Both treatments significantly improved the condition of acne patients (BP, p<0.001, CHG, p<0.01) at eight and 12 weeks. The subsequent 12 week study compared CHG to vehicle and showed that CHG again effected significant improvements in patient condition at all times (p<0.001). CHG was also significantly more effective than vehicle at each test period (p<0.05 to 0.001)."

I've been looking into using spme form of CHG for a while now and this seems the most readily available.  I'm just concerned about the alcohol in it, since my face isn't oily whatsoever.  I also have been using the Neosporin to get rid of red marks...  that info that cartman posted made me worried that using Neosporin afterward would neutralize the effectiveness.

So does anyone have any idea on how I would have to change my regiment if I used it?  Could I still use the other things?  I'm really loving the Neosporin to spot treat (but the hibiclens would be fantastic for preventing the crap that the Neosporin has to deal with on my face).

Any ideas?

-Julie

Hibiclens is the best. I was just using regular bar soap but now I'm addicted to Hibiclens. It seems to help my monthly breakout heal even faster, and also stops me from itching, thanx Cartman biggrin.gif You rule!!!!

Alrighty then, everyone have the best weekend possible, get really insane and go out or stay in and have some fun eusa_whistle.gif

Jess

Thanks for replying, cartman...

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering! I want this bacteria to DIE DIE DIE!! Oh, and I have hard water, too eusa_wall.gif

I have another question: is this safe to use if you have dry skin? It seems many people on this forum and using hibiclens have oily skin. I don't want to tear apart my face. What do you think?

I've been looking into using spme form of CHG for a while now and this seems the most readily available.  I'm just concerned about the alcohol in it, since my face isn't oily whatsoever.  I also have been using the Neosporin to get rid of red marks...   that info that cartman posted made me worried that using Neosporin afterward would neutralize the effectiveness.

So does anyone have any idea on how I would have to change my regiment if I used it?  Could I still use the other things?  I'm really loving the Neosporin to spot treat (but the hibiclens would be fantastic for preventing the crap that the Neosporin has to deal with on my face).

Any ideas?

-Julie

I don't see any reason why your regimen wouldn't work. The only question I would have is if the toner and moisturizer would neutralize the ability of CHG to continue its antimicribial effect for 6 + hours as it would normally. Maybe someone else has an answer to that.

Can I apply BP gel after using hibiclens to wash my forehead? Will the effects of hibiclens to kill bateria decrease? I heard on the forum that some stuff can "neutralize" it........ (forgot what it is!)

just want to be very sure I'm not wasting my time.

Can I apply BP gel after using hibiclens to wash my forehead? Will the effects of hibiclens to kill bateria decrease? I heard on the forum that some stuff can "neutralize" it........ (forgot what it is!) 

just want to be very sure I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks for replying, cartman...

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering!  I want this bacteria to DIE DIE DIE!!  Oh, and I have hard water, too  eusa_wall.gif

I have another question:  is this safe to use if you have dry skin?  It seems many people on this forum and using hibiclens have oily skin.  I don't want to tear apart my face.  What do you think?

Okay, I just called my pharmacist and asked him if it's okay to wash my face with hibiclens 2 times per day for acne and he said it's completely fine. If any of you have a concern about using it as a facial cleanser, call your pharmacist and ask.

If any of you have tried Hibiclens and like it, it is now on the product rating page so you can leave your comments about it. Thanks

Chris