Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hmm...I"ve been hearing some stuff bout AHA moiturizers....what the heck are they? I use eucerin renewal...and that's supposedly an AHA moisturizer...but what's AHA? I hear some ppl talking bout it exfoliating or removing dead skin? How does it do that heh? It's just a smooth cream.

there is alpha hydroxy (AHA) and beta hydroxy (salicylic acid is derived from beta hydroxy). the alpha passes the outer layer of ur skin and "repairs" the skin underneath. the beta stays on surface and repairs the upper layer by loosening the connection between the dead skin and thus helping removing em.

So which would be better? Seems like AHAs would be better for getting rid of scarring, and BHAs for clearing up pores, but I have been using Neutrogena clear pore (2% salicylic acid) and it seems to be doing crap :-.

neither work effectively on their own against acne. alpha hydroxy works well together with bp, not as an acne fighting ingredient, rather as a moisturizer and exofialter (excuse the spelling, to lazy to look up the correct spelling). beta hydroxy works well in washs, preping the face for a follow-up treatment like bp by removing dead skin and opening pores.

yeah, you really have to think of aha's as a "cellular turnover" and not as an acne treatment. I use md formulations w/ aha & I love it bcs it moisturizes thru dry areas by loosening the flakes rather than just softening them up. And I feel that applying an aha moisturizer after bp your face is more normalized...after all, the bp works in absorbtion so you don't need to worry that a moisturizer will dilute it's effectiveness. However, if I have a serious break out, I avoid that moisturizer until the "heat" of the pimple passes as it can over irritate. Or I moisturize around it and just let the zit be.