Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Image101

How much does picking/touching really affect acne?

Hey everyone, i'm new here. I've had acne since i was about 12, pretty minor at first, then it got pretty damn bad, and now at age 16 its about mild-moderate. I don't have cysts, but I get quite a few regular inflamed pimples and usually each one turns into a whitehead. What i'm curious to know is if touching/picking at your acne really has a big effect on it. I seem to have a MAJOR problem with not touching my face...i'll run my hands over it and pop the zits as they come. I've tried quite a bit to stop, but Have a reallllly hard time. I drink lots of water and wash my face 2 times daily (and I think i'm going to go on B5 asap). I'm really starting to think that my acne really isn't that bad at all, it's just that my picking and touching really annoys it. I used to have bad skin as a baby (at 15 months I had some really bad skin infection that caused me to peel all over, called "scalded skin syndrome" or something), and have had dry skin since then. So the bottom line is, does picking your acne and touching your face really have an effect? Will it make it worse and make you break out more? Thanks.

dont touch your face. ever.

if you absolutely have to, do it after you get out of the shower, when your hands are clean and your pores are open. wash your face afterwards. and only do it if its a huge mofo of a whitehead that is just begging for it. anything else is just going to make life worse.

i used to have the same problem, i would sit in class and constantly touch my face where i thought i was getting pimples. its tough to stop, but you have to, if you want your face to improve. try running your tongue on the inside of your mouth under where you think you feel a zit coming. it was my trick to avoid touching my face, it sorta relieves some of the pressure, and gives you something to focus on when your first instinct is to just touch your face.

hope that helps

lug

I was actually kind of hoping for a reply like that...makes me know that my acne really isn't as bad as it looks, i just make it wayy worse. Thanks, any more input would really be appreciated.

Duuuude. Irritation is like kindling for the firestorm of acne, if i may be poetic. Do not pick!!Do not touch! It makes it so much worse. My boyfriend swears by his "hands-off" policy. Me? I do minimal extractions per my derm.

In all my research & personal experience this is what I know, acne is caused by environmental agitants, hormonal factors, and internal inbalances. translation; picking, genes, and crap food.

This is my perspective, I know there are opinions to the contrary, but what I wanted most to tell you is, bcs you are young, your acne is probably largely hormonal & will clear up {if yer lucky :) }, but you are right....Touching & picking is making it a lot worse for you.

I have acne on my back too, i thought I read somewhere that that indicates a hormonal balance or somethin...can anyone clarify this? it seems that I don't break out anywhere unless i touch that area, which is pretty much all over my face lol.

Bacne is pretty common as well as acne on your face. It's harder to notice because you really can't tell by yourself and your back is hard to clean at times =T. But from my point of view, and various resources you should treat bacne the same as you would your face. Wash gently to prevent further irritation, and also the BP can be used anywhere on your body.

Although applying it to your back may be difficult at times =

Do not touch/pick your acne.

I'm pretty sure I did that quite a bit a couple years ago, and I'm paying for it now. Red marks all over the place. At least that's what I attribute them to.

I also now sleep on back (as opposed to my side with my face mashed into the pillow lol :-). Not as comfortable, but then my face doesn't get as irritated (or so I hope).

I sleep without my face touching the pillow too; it's not as comfortable, but i'm getting used to it.

dude, picking ruined my life. (not to be so dramatic!)

i have experience in severe back acne and minor face acne. When i had the acne, i had alot of hope because i knew acne wasnt permanent, etc. but what is permanent is SCARS!!!!!!! and then are a b-u-m-m-e-r!!!

i swera i picked my face like twice and i have scars form these times! and these are not going anywhere anytime soon!

yes there is a correct way to "pop" but if your not a cosmetical pro, i wouldnt try! i know from experience. and dude, same goes for your back. let the acne heal itself out. it wont be worth the scars!

Oh yeah, my skin seems to have this wierd quality where no matter how much I pop zits and pick them, I don't have any scars whatsoever. Anyone else have this?

I'm guessing that it is bcs you are young. I felt the same way ten years ago when i could go pickathonorama, gouging, scraping, using steam, ice, needles, etc. and the next day, redness, the next day, pinkness, the next day gone........easy. BUT your skin gets less & less resilient over time so please [-o< please [-o< please....begin to practice non-mutilating behavior now while you have plenty of collegen & your skin is forgiving.

Namaste'

I'm trying...it's tough as hell, but i'm trying. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid picking/touching? I KNOW it makes me break out more but I still do it ](*,)

being concious that you are doing it is #1. Picking & touching can be just an absentminded habit, so maybe ask a buddy to make you "aware" one full day to see how often you are going there. You could also put up stickers that say " Hands OFF" on all your mirrors. And for picking, reward yourself for NOT picking. All this stuff is temporary to break the habit. good luck.

Never pick for sure! Most of us here in these forums haved picked/rubbed at least once and all it does is aggrevate the skin and can lead to scarring.

How much does picking/touching really affect acne?

it doesnt just affect, but it fxxxing kills your whole skin. Is like evil invaders taking over. :-

Image, an idea I got from someone here a while ago to not touch your face is to put some really strongly scented hand lotion on - that way you'll become aware whenever your hands get near your face, and it just feels wrong to touch your face with that stuff on your hands! Also, if I'm at home and I have one that's really bugging me, I put one of those little square bandaids over it so I can't touch it even if I want to.

If you have one that has come to a head and is ready to be squeezed, you can do it when your face and hands are clean. Use a tissue so your fingers don't touch your face and just squeeze really gently. If it's at all hard to get out, just wait and try again next time you wash your face. Don't force it, you can cause further infection and scarring. Once it's out, put an antiseptic on it and then leave it alone.

I've read about that one too, I should give it a shot..although everyone at school will ask me why the HELL i have hand lotion on lol.

If you really, really can't help yourself, go to a beauty supply store and buy an extractor. At the very least, you'll damage your skin a lot less than if you pick and/or squeeze with your fingers. Or if you ever get the impulse to pick, apply a dob of bp or facial mask instead.

dont touch your face. ever.

if you absolutely have to, do it after you get out of the shower, when your hands are clean and your pores are open. wash your face afterwards. and only do it if its a huge mofo of a whitehead that is just begging for it. anything else is just going to make life worse. 

i used to have the same problem, i would sit in class and constantly touch my face where i thought i was getting pimples. its tough to stop, but you have to, if you want your face to improve. try running your tongue on the inside of your mouth under where you think you feel a zit coming. it was my trick to avoid touching my face, it sorta relieves some of the pressure, and gives you something to focus on when your first instinct is to just touch your face.

hope that helps

lug

I just wish I knew that since I was 14 now I'm 24 and I look terrible.

*looks down of shame*