Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inty

My doctor just prescribed me some bp...

...he told me to wash with just soap and water or shampoo in the shower. WTF!?

It says to wash with soap on the products casing as well. I thought this was bad...?

Guest TylerD

Why would that be bad. When I did the regimen, I just washed with soap (Dove soap) Now i just wash wtih soap. It doesnt irritate the skin like some ppl say. Just remember to wash your face no more then 2 times a day. 3 at the absolute most.

Inty,

what exactly is your question? Are you asking if using soap to wash your face before using BP is bad?

If so, the answer is no... you should use a gentle soap (see recommended products for that) to do a quick and gentle rinse of your face, let dry and then apply BP...

I *think* the gist of what your derm (and the regimen for that matter) is telling you is not to use abbrassive cleaners that will irritate your skin prior to using the BP, rather to just use a bit of soap to cleanse your face.

hth,

i wouldnt do the shampoo thing. first, most shampoos have sodium lauryl sulfate, used most commonly in toothpastes. it is the caus eof canker sores because it is very drying and irritating. my shampo [garnier fructis] has SLS as its 3rd ingredient. use w/ caution

i wouldnt do the shampoo thing. first, most shampoos have sodium lauryl sulfate, used most commonly in toothpastes. it is the caus eof canker sores because it is very drying and irritating. my shampo [garnier fructis] has SLS as its 3rd ingredient. use w/ caution

I want to know if using soap to wash your face before using BP is bad?

BTW, i only just started and i think i'm only going to apply nightly before i got to bed. And in the morning wash with Soap/Clearasil or Tea Tree Foaming wash, and in the night wash with soap and water then apply the bp.

I have found that washing with a gentle facial cleanser helps keep me skin from becoming too dry. When I have been in a lurch and had to use soap to cleanse with, my skin gets way too tight and dry.

I also wouldn't recommend soap bc the soap scum film it causes will clog pores. I break out in hard clogs under my skin (think large, hard, lumpy blackheads) whenever I use soap (including fairly pure castille soaps), and only when I use soap. Dove, and other bars that also include surfactants and softeners (water softeners, not moisturizers) don't cause the same problem for me.

when the Dr's say soap, they usually have Dove bars or Cetaphil bars or a Neutrogena foaming wash in mind (neither of which is actually soap - ok, the Dove bars contain soap, but they also contain water softening agents and detergents).