Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi, I have had acne my whole teen life and still at 32...in the past two months I have had one area on my chin that has formed like 3 huge painful lumps..they were there forever and almost never drained, then they went away and came back in the same spot. It is horrible, embarassing and I cannot take it anymore. I have HS...hidradenitis-suppurativa, but it is rare on the face area....besides medications what can i do about this? cry.gif

Hi Jenang!

Other than medication? I'd say not much. You could try BP or neosporin, and don't pick at or try to pop them!!!!

I'm your age, and my doc - an endocrinologist - helped me a lot. Cystic acne (which is what you are describing), especially on the jawline, in adult females is usually a sign of an underlying hormonal problem - that once treated will make you healthier all around!

I can only suggest that you see an endo...

Good luck!

smile.gif

ACCUTANE

biggrin.gif

<3

opps, I did not know I had two posts here....

why would I need to see an endocronologist? what kind of hormonal problems?

There's several endocrinological problems that could cause acne - and worse if ignored or untreated - and sometimes the right tests and the right doctor can give you the answers you need.

Some examples include CAH (congenital adrenal hyperplasia), PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), Cushing's disease, and other adrenal and pituitary tumors. Sometimes the only way to detect these are via blood tests - as well as correct interpretation of the results (not all doctors are so great at this, as I came to learn).

Dermatologists can be great and so are some treatments, but if you're not getting resolution, or it's getting worse - particularly if you're an adult female with acne - an endocrinologist could be the answer. There could be more to it than just treating your skin.

I was diagnosed last year with a metabolic problem that I've had for years (PCOS), but never got treatment for it. It is/was the cause for my acne, and a host of other health problems that would never have started if I'd gotten treatment sooner. Problem was, the dermatologists, gynecologists, and general practitioners I saw didn't get it. Had I gotten treatment sooner, it wouldn't have been so bad, and my overall health would be better, too.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Doctors can be a good way to make sure you're healthy, too - not just to see when you have a health complaint. Annual physicals (including bloodwork) are demonstrated to result in healthier people overall. This might include skin!!

:o)

I guess I should've pointed out that I know people who didn't get permanent (or even long-lasting) results from Accutane. It worked while they were on it. It came back, because as their docs explained - it did not (nor will it ever) correct the underlying metabolic problem.

Since the metabolic problem was corrected with medication that has far fewer side effects (for me anyway), I don't need to take Accutane. My acne has cleared for the most part (no more cysts, just blackheads on my nose and some leftover red marks/scarring).

A note, however: not everyone has PCOS or Syndrome X or Insulin resistance or elevated testosterone/aldosterone/etc, but those who do will benefit from the right meds. For those who do, however, Accutane won't stop the acne from coming right back after you're done taking it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

:o)