Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danm

The 'do-nothing' method.

Hey, I've seen this method of eliminating acne on a lot of other boards, and this is something that I never even knew existed! I used this method inadvertantly about a year ago, so I'm going to just tell you my experience with it (if anyone else is thinking of trying it).

I had mild acne about 2 years ago, so I searched on the web for a solution (ack then I thought that acne was like some kind of virus, or a rash, and that there would be one simple definate cure for it [-( silly me!). I stumbled across dans website and immediately started the regimen. It was at this point that things went from bad, to worse. Over the course of a year (I believe due to the regimen) my acne got worse. It turned cystic and nasty and I felt that if the regimen wasn't working, then there was no solution (I didn't know about prescription meds back then, I thought that a doctor would laugh if I came to them with acne ](*,) )

So...I have up. I stopped washing my face at all, and stopped applying topicals. Then, after a couple of months, a miraculous thing happened! My acne cleared up, I'd say about 70%. I stopped getting cysts immediately, and my acne went to being mild, even more so than before.

I think that there's a lot to be said for leaving your skin to heal on it's own. I am left with scars from when I used to put a lot of stuff on my skin, but no scars from before or after this period. I know that there are people considering trying this method, but are too scared that their acne will get worse if they come off the meds. In my experience, meds only seem to aggrivate acne.

One of the major drawbacks of 'doing nothing' is that you get a lot of blackheads. Recently, I have been thrying a number of methods to try and get rid of them and they all seem to make me break out more, so it depends what do I want? No spots but blackheads and oily skin, or 4/5 spots at any one time, but otherwise clear skin?

Did you not even wash your face with water a couple of times a day? I can understand that for some lucky people they can just wash their face with water and be fine, and like you get the acne to go away. But there are people here who have had it for years and i think they've tried a lot, and some of us probably started with "doing nothin"... I also didn't do much when i first got acne, and it got worse. Now on the regimen its getting better. So it probably depends...

i was thinking of making this exact same thread...i was sick last week and i couldnt even move out of bed...all i did was wash my face and thats it...no BP...i started to notice my skin got a little better..it could have been all the sleep i got (from missing school) or the fact that i had no stress (staying in bed all day) and also i didnt apply anything to my face....now that im better i have been just washing my face and applying only queen helene mint julep masque over night...my face still gets oily but i ordered ketsugo for that (f you acnemiracle)...im going to see where this goes...it will still probably take a while for the horrible red splotches i got from the BP to go away though...im a little worried also..now that i see my face is getting clear..i wonder if i should start putting on BP to kill the rest even though that means more redmarks and hour of applying it every night..or see if not applying anything helps..well see

Lol you were most likely allergic to the benzoyl peroxide or did not you did not moisturize enough.

I sat and waited for my acne to go away for nearly 3 years and it just got worse and worse until I decided to do something about it and now im nearly clear.

A huge problem with acne remedies is that the problem itself can fluctuate and change with little warning. The majority of peoples acne will clear up itself in time (though usually far too long :)/) and so inevitably mere coincidences are read into far too much. It is unlikely the REgimen turned your acne cystic. It was most liklely an unfortunate progression of the acne itself. It's why treatin acne is such a pain in the ass. After 4 weeks on Minocin I didn't have a single spot, just some red marks (my acne is light/mild). I was convinced I was on the way to clear skin...alas it was merely one of the good periods I intermittently get every 7/8 weeks, a week later I had many new spots pop up. Almost every acne sufferer could tell you at least one similar story. False dawns and acne, they go hand in hand.

In conclusion, the do nothing method is merely one of the hundreds out there (an ineffectual too if I might say so, otherwise why did the acne appear at all?), and I don't predict it will help too many. It might give you a brief lift if your skin is sensitive to what you have been using on it, but it's no miracle cure :D

I was thinking that I get acne and all that good crap on the parts of my face that I wash. I never focus on my forehead, nose, or chin areas and I never get acne there. I get acne on the sides of my face, the place which I wash the most. Is this a coincidence? It just makes me feel better washing my face with products although I dont overwash. Just something for me to think about.

last year i was doing nothing and my acne was v mild. i still went to my doctor who refered me to a derm. Because my doctor thought it was seriouse enough for me to be refered i became paranoid and i went in search for something else and found the regimen. My derm said he would put me on ro-accutane but it would be a 5 month waiting list (i have my blood tests tomorrow WOOT) so yeah i started the regimen because 5 months seemed ages away. I saw results but i got bad systic acne which id never had befere and my skin was in bad condition even tho it was clear-ish. I stopped the regimen about 3 weeks ago to prepare for ro-accutane (i diddnt want to be taking anything or doing anything b4 it) all iv done for 3 weeks is wash with water daily and my skin feels great .. i just have scars which i never got b4 thru being on the regimen. guess BP diddnt work for me. :)

Yeah, I think that there are different solutions for different people (just haw different products work for different people). Just don't feel that you have to be using a topical to be helping your acne, it could be making it worse

ke87 - I didn't do ANYTHING to my face at all. It got oilier, but after a while, it balanced out, naturally.

This method helps on skin that is acne prone but not so much on active acne.

a variation of this method, that i have found to work in the past, is getting a medicated wash such as neutrogena acne wash and squirting a few pumps in to your hands. You then rub your hands together and then fill your hands up with water and splash your face with this soapy type water.

I done this day and night for a year with great success but the success was all ended after a summer of being in the sun everyday gave me oilly skin and lotsa pimples

I just started the Regimen and it looks as if it's helping, but I only have acne on the sides of my face, that's it. I don't understand why its just there and no where else. They are red like dots, only a couple now appear to have a white like head on it, but this just starting with using th Bp. They have been red dots, I have tried everything to get rid of them. Are they scaring or what? Someone help! ](*,)

Lol you were most likely allergic to the benzoyl peroxide or did not you did not moisturize enough.

i dunno if i was allergic..all i know is if i put to much on my neck it would break out in a rash..but i put loads on my face (i went through a tube in like 4-5 days)..and i did moisturize a lot (eucerin renewal)...it did kill the acne but left my face red as a mother****er and i got scars not to mention dark purple/red marks...the only thing thing that kept me hopeful was that where my skin had no acne whatsoever was looking really healthy..i think drinking water/sleep/no stress has a big part in it because i remember following the regimen exactly during one of my breaks and i also got plenty of sleep and my skin was improving..so maybe ill follow the regimen in the summer and well see what happens..i just dont want any more scars and red marks..

I sat and waited for my acne to go away for nearly 3 years and it just got worse and worse until I decided to do something about it and now im nearly clear.

using what? BP?

i was thinking of making this exact same thread...i was sick last week and i couldnt even move out of bed...all i did was wash my face and thats it...no BP...i started to notice my skin got a little better..

When you're sick, your acne goes better... Why? Because you take some anti-inflammatory like aspirin (wich is acid Acethylsalicylic... similar to acid salicylic, hey! :) ). So you think doing nothing against acne, but your other meds treat it. Just wait and see... #-o

Yeh before I went on the regemin I hardly had any spots

Then a few months into it it turned out to be a nightmare, Now im off it and i hardl break out at all, just left with all these shitty red marks which just aint going away #-o

The regemin works for sum ppl, just not for me and i can assure you i followed it properly and did moisturise a lot. Im thinking of going on accutane but i have a weird feeling that if i do my face will turn to roadkill :-k

Take it easy

Rob

well...

I"m on a modified regimen...I use a fraction of the BP that your supposed to...probably 2 of those .75 oz tubes in like 4 months or more I"d say..

and now I"m pretty much 98% clear.......well ...the regimen takes me like....30 seconds ..twice a day...so i guess its worth it heh...

but i just dunno if I should stop...probably not eh.