Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sally

Just did a 70% glycolic peel..

hi everyone!

I just did a 70% glycolic acid peel... my second one , I'm doing one weekly. The first time I just did it for one minute, and I didn't notice much redness. This time I did it for 5 mins , and I notice white water-bumps near my nose, and on my chin, they're very tiny, not really noticeable, but quite rough. What are they? When I squeeze them water oozes out. I didn't put any on my nose, because I noticed after doing a 35% peel that these white bumps appeared on my nose. Is this a bad sign? The redness subsided very quickly. Other than this I'm really pleased with the glycolic acid.

I have never done a peel, however they sound like blisters. I got sun poisoning once and my face was covered in blisters that oozed ](*,) however if you dont peel at them or whatever Im sure they'll be fine...

didn't see your post laura... so they're blisters!!! that doesn't sound good.

what IS sun poisoning?? Oh dear does this mean I should stop using the acid?

Well Sun poisoning is just when you Burn really really bad that your face kinda turns purple first then, it puffs up into blisters, big ones though, that have water under them. I also say blisters cuz when you burn your finger or something (in my experience) it forms a little white blister that water comes out of. But unfortunately I dont know much about the Peels so hopefully someone else will respond!! #-o :) but, you can get blisters from burning, So maybe the peel burnt your skin? Hopefully someone else can give you better advice, but I can say that in my experience blisters never left any type of scarring...good luck!

thanx laura...

i've already gone and popped most of the blisters. I'm just wondering if blistering is a bad sign, that the stuff is too strong for certain areas of my skin? hope someone can answer this....

Sally,

please don't ignore those white bumps. I had some when I first using vinegar method. I used white wine vinegar with 5% acidity, undiluted. The tiny bumps appeared on my forehead but disappeared after an hour, so I thought they were nothing. After 10 days of treatment, I woke up in the morning and the bumps were still there and even worse, they were all over my face, my forehead, cheeks, around my eyes (note that I never use vinegar near my eyes, but I could still feel the burning sensation in the eyes everytime I dabbed some vinegar on my skin)

I stop the vinegar since last Friday and still trying to calm my skin down using egg mask. It gets a lot better now. I don't use anything with high acidity at the moment. I would guess you got the white bumps from the 35% glicolic acid. Most over the counter AHA products has less than 10% acidity (considered 'safe' according to FDA). I tried using pure lemon juice once (pure lemon has approx. 27% acidity) and it burned like heck. I am not a dermatologist, but I would think 35% acidity is too harsh for you. You might like to consider using lower acidity. I cannot imagine using 35% glicolic peel, my skin burned even only using wine vinegar with 5% acidity :)

If you're not allergic to egg, try egg mask every day to soothing your skin. If you have oily skin, use egg white. If you have dry skin, use egg yolk and if you have very dry skin, use egg yolk with some extra virgin olive oil. Use 'safe' moisturizer afterward such as plain jojoba, extra virgin olive oil or pure aloe vera gel if you want 'oil free' moisturizer. See if it gets better after a few days. I've been doing it for 3 days and my 'blister' is almost gone. :D

Sally, I just realized you used 70% glicolic peel instead of 35%. (get mixed up with other posting, I guess) WOW!! That is pretty darn high concentration you used on your skin! 8-[

Did your dermatologist do the peeling on you? I hope so...I don't know where you live, but in the US, FDA suggests that AHA with concentration range from 50% to 70% should only be used by doctors. Over the counter products with less than 10% acidity is considered 'safe' for consumers, 20%-30% should be used by trained cosmetologists. But for your own safety, you might like to ask your physician before using any AHA product with more than 30% concentration. O:)

Check this out : http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdacaha.html

Sally, you are supposed to work your way up to five minutes slowly. You should have done your second mask for two minutes, your next for three, etc......

If you tolerated it for one minute, you should let your skin heal. If I were you, I would get some copper peptides CP Serum. It's great for helping skin to heal, though by the time you get it, you'd probably be healed up. Nevertheless, you still probably oughta get some so that if you do peels in the future, you should use the copper peptides in conjunction. It takes redness out of the skin and helps the skin heal itself after a peel.

Anyway, for now, you should put pure aloe vera on your face. That should help a lot.

I've overdone it a few times myself so it's not that big a deal, though you should lay off for a few weeks before attempting anymore peels, and you should be o.k. starting off for one minute.

BTW, if you are using that high a concentration, you shouldn't be doing them every week, only once a month. You can do peels weekly at a much lower concentration, but definately not at 70%.

Didn't you get instructions? :-s #-o

Hi Denise and Matahari, thanx for your replies!

Matahari, were you bumps tiny and did they ooze water when popped like mine?

What I did was, I popped all the tiny blisters then applied aloe vera gel. Now the bumps are gone... I don't know if they will return.

Yea you're supposed to go to derms for high concentration peels but they cozt a bomb! They make like a 9900% profit and all they do is just put it on my face like I'm doing now. I know because I used to go to my derm for peels. I told him recently that I bought it cheap online, and he told me he got it even cheaper... and offered to sell some to me!!! (The high doctor-strength type) I said " I thought that isn't allowed? " He told me, " Well it's ok because I know your skin type".

Denise, I know that's what you're supposed to do with peels. In fact I'd originally planned on starting off with 35% and slowly working my way up to 70% over a few months, but this is the seller's advice to me:

"I usually start with the 70% for at least 3 or four peels, then go down to the lower strengths for maintenance. Your skin is less sensitive in the begining so it can take a stronger peel. Most people don't want to be bothered doing them every week, that's why I say to do at least 6 six peels 10 -14 daks apart, but it is safe to use weekly. Also the 35% is great to use weekly for as long as you like to maintain your skin."

His recommended approach is the direct opposite, based on the logic that skin is less sensitive at first! Which kinda makes sense, don't you think? I do have the CP serum! I was going to apply it later after the aloe sooths my skin a bit more.

My face hasn't really become red or scabbed with the 2 70% peels, that's why I'm confused. The effects so far have been positive, my skin tone is evening out and skin looks nicer. I will email the seller about this, if anyone else has feedback for me please add on!

Sally, I've been doing homepeels for almost 2 years. I'll add this....since a person's skin becomes immune to glycolic acid really quick, then doing such a high concentration peel STARTING OUT is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Kathi at Homepeels or the other Kathy at MakeupArtistsChoice say.

I've had microderm and other peels in doctor's offices and I don't know one single esthetician who recommends doing what this guys says.

That's the opposite of what you should be doing. No wonder you blistered! That's too much!!!

You really need to listen to your skin, Sally. I wouldn't trust this guy's advice. Anyone will tell you that you should work up slowly, not the other way around.

Burning your skin needlessly is irresponsible advice.

Your skin becomes immunce to glycolic acid and builds up a resistance to it. Therefore, why would you start at the highest concentration only to have your skin become immune to the highest amount?

That's bass ackwards man....... #-o [-X :-k

A peel at 70% should only be done maybe once a month. You should have started out at lower concentrations to begin with. That's pretty much standard advice......

Hello Sally,

I too, purchased some glycolic acid off the net. I bought the 30% and 50% strength. I've been using the 30% because I am still having strong effects from it (peeling, tightening, scabs, etc.)

Do you know the PH level in the 70%? Mine is .06 in the 30%. That is extremely strong and since yours is a higher level (70%), I can't believe you haven't had more side effects than "blisters". Unless you have very tolerable skin. O:)

Sally, I am glad your bumps are gone. :) Yes, mine are tiny. The bumps on the upper cheeks and near the eyes are sooo tiny, more like prickly heat. I didn't pop them because I was afraid of the scars they might create :-k They are almost completely gone though. The ones on my forehead are little bit bigger. They are almost gone too, well... maybe there are 3-4 left. I'll try to pop some tonight and let you know whether or not there is water in them. :-s

What they told you to use higher concentration does make sense IF you didn't find any sign of irritation. But if you did, maybe you need lower concentration or try to do the peeling less frequently (every other week or every 3 weeks maybe?) with less time to put on? (if you used to put it on for 5 minutes, reduce it to 2 minutes or less?). Just a thought. :D

Oh...before I forgot, since Miss Prolixity mentioned about pH level O:) ... You need to know the pH level of your peel. If it is less than 3, most likely it will irritate your skin. Vinegars have pH level of approx. 3 . Pure lime/lemon juice, even though has only about 27% acidity, has the pH level between 2-2.4 . pH less than 2 is extremely strong, you have to be very careful using such highly acidic substance on your skin. O:)

Hi everyone, thanx for the kind warnings.

Yes the ph level is 0.6, I specifically checked with the seller before buying. Derms use acid at this ph...

Anyway, this is the seller's reply to my question.

"Hello, Yes skin does become accustomed to glycolic, but that does not happen for quite some time. In my experience I have found that using the stronger concentrations at the begining of your regimen of peels yields much better results. The idea being that skin is less sensitive before using any acids, then becomes more sensitive once the top layers are exfloiated. Glycolics are all superficial peels and are meant to freshen, tone, and even out minor hyperpigmentation. I usually do 4 to 6 peels at 70% once every 7 to 10 days, then reduce to 50% once per month for the next 5 peels, then use 35% once per month. On my own skin I've used the 70% for the past five years, I leave it on for about 20 minutes, I do blister a bit, the flaking with glycolics is hardly noticable if you keep your skin moisturized. The reason glycolics are so popular is that there is very little downtime, minimal irritation and blistering, but it is working by stimulating new skin cells to form, and increasing collagen production. It ususally takes a long time before your skin is totally accustomed to 70% glycolic acid. Never pop the blisters or scabs , this can cause scarring and hyperpigmentation. The tiny blisters are normal, but try to avoid the corners of your nose and apply it to your cheek bones last. You can leave the peel on for up to 20 minutes, but if there are blisters or scabbing DO NOT pick, pop or scratch them !! this is a normal reaction to the acid. Glycolics are always used in a series and maximum results will show most after the third or fourth peel."

It's been about 12 hrs after my peel. .. and I'm not red at all. I have one minor scratch at my cheek where the skin was already irritated before the peel. Since I'm already on my 2nd peel I will continue on the seller's recommendations. I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I'm doing, because I think my skin isn't that sensitive to glycolic acid for some reason.

The seller's reasoning does make sense to me. It follows that if I were to start off at a low concentration, and work up to a high one, my skin would be well exfoliated by then. Why would I need such a high concentration peel then? In fact will a high concentration peel at that point be desirable or necessary since my skin is already well exfoliated?

If anyone has an argument to support the conventional method, I'd love to hear it. Please don't flame me, I'm just throwing a different opinion out there.

Hope to hear from you! :)

hi i applied some fresh aloe vera on my skin (the problem areas) and they got a little red and sometimes a little itchy...is that normal?

Carousel,

did you use ONLY the clear gel? When you rub the leaf on your face, make sure you don't include the yellow sap. It is located just under the skin, before the gel. The yellow sap is laxative and VERY irritating to your skin. When you cut the leaf, leave it for 5 minutes and see if the yellow sap is there. Clean the sap (wash it and pat dry the part with paper towel), carefully slice the gel a little bit until you can see the clear slimy liquid. Use only the clear liquid on your face. If it's still itchy for less than 30 seconds, it is considered normal. But if it's more than a minute and there is rash or redness, it is not normal. Stop using it, your skin maybe alergic to aloe vera. O:)

Anyway, this is the seller's reply to my question.

"Hello, Yes skin does become accustomed to glycolic, but that does not happen for quite some time. In my experience I have found that using the stronger concentrations at the begining of your regimen of peels yields much better results. The idea being that skin is less sensitive before using any acids, then becomes more sensitive once the top layers are exfloiated. Glycolics are all superficial peels and are meant to freshen, tone, and even out minor hyperpigmentation. I usually do 4 to 6 peels at 70% once every 7 to 10 days, then reduce to 50% once per month for the next 5 peels, then use 35% once per month. On my own skin I've used the 70% for the past five years, I leave it on for about 20 minutes, I do blister a bit, the flaking with glycolics is hardly noticable if you keep your skin moisturized. The reason glycolics are so popular is that there is very little downtime, minimal irritation and blistering, but it is working by stimulating new skin cells to form, and increasing collagen production. It ususally takes a long time before your skin is totally accustomed to 70% glycolic acid. Never pop the blisters or scabs , this can cause scarring and hyperpigmentation. The tiny blisters are normal, but try to avoid the corners of your nose and apply it to your cheek bones last. You can leave the peel on for up to 20 minutes, but if there are blisters or scabbing DO NOT pick, pop or scratch them !! this is a normal reaction to the acid. Glycolics are always used in a series and maximum results will show most after the third or fourth peel."

This really is some of the worst and potentially damaging advice I've seen posted to these boards in quite a while. If you can't see that for yourself, then good luck to you and your skin. #-o

I have to wonder if what the seller is selling really contains 70% cause I would think there would be much worse side-effects than that from how you are using it. Some of those sellers that sell peels that claim to have 70% are sometimes cheap products and really are not strong at all like the ones used by professionals.

This really is some of the worst and potentially damaging advice I've seen posted to these boards in quite a while. If you can't see that for yourself, then good luck to you and your skin. #-o

why? hope u can clarify with facts.

tomboy, I think it's just my skin. Because I had 70% done at the derm's and experienced the same thing--- little redness, no downtime. I feel the pain more intensely when doing the 70% as compared to the 35 or 50% though.

I'm taking pictures of my skin, but it's only been a week so far. I'll put them up at the end of 4-6 weeks.

njacobs:

I agree with you. Starting out at 70% glycolic acid is not good advice at all. It is the opposite of what any esthetician recommends.

Burning your skin and causing blisters is bad advice. If the sun was to burn your skin that bad it would be called: second degree burns.

Beth, who posts here, had normal but sensitive skin. After a glycolic peel, her skin was practically ruined. Some people are extremely sensitive to peels. I had a good friend who this happened to also. Starting people off at such high amounts could literally burn the skin off people with sensitive skin.

This is horrible advice.

Just wanted to add my expereince. My last derm started me off right away on a 70% glycolic peel!!! I was shocked! But it didn't hurt me at all (thank God). This derm I am seeing now has started me off on 30% and goes up by 5% each time. The aestician at the second derm said she would never start someone off on 70%. Maybe there are two schools of thought or something. The weird thing is the 70% at the first derm bothered me little and there was no downtime. A month later I went to the new derm and got a 30% I felt that one alot more. I just got a 35% over the weekend and alos felt that more and it did slightly blister (I think) a very small area on my forehead - that area is no just dry and will probably peel off soon - been putting aloe vera from the plant on it. Werid huh? But skin is looking better.

ok when you guys are talking about peels, what type of scarring do you guys have?? Is it just the red/brown spots after popping???

-browny

browny, peels are supposed to help with marks and less so with scars.

denise, I agree with what you say about sensitive skin. In my experience, when a patch of my skin is slightly tender or raw, and I do a laser treatment or peel, that area will surely burn. So I can imagine the damage a strong peel can do to sensitive skin.

The peels came with instructions and a warning that 70% glycolic acid is VERY strong and can cause side effects such as redness, blistering, and scabs. It also stated that there may be a downtime of 4-5 days.

I'm just thinking out loud here... the main worry seems to be damage to the skin--- is this damage permanent? Has anyone suffered from major scars due to use of glycolic acid? If it is merely downtime, then other peels cause greater downtime. TCA peels supposedly make your skin look awful for 1-2 weeks, since they are deeper.

I had no downtime, and I suspect that it was because I washed the acid off as soon as I felt it starting to burn beyond my level of tolerance... I'd initially wanted to leave it on for 3 min, but felt ok continuing for another 2 mins or so.

I don't think the seller gave " horrible advice". He could have warned in his instructions that people with sensitive skin should do a spot test, or avoid 70% acid, but other than that I think his suggestions are fine.

I'm a bit surprised that your perception of glycolic acid is that it is so strong. I thought glycolic acid, even at 70%, is classified as a "superficial peel." If you give it a try you may find that it is less damaging or strong than you imagine. I guess "70%" is pretty intimidating because it is a high number. But I suppose you have to factor in the possibility that individual response varies greatly.

Just sharing some thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Sally, I've done 80% salicylic peels, 50% lactic acid peels, 40-50% glycolic peels and had a TCA peel.

Obviously, I'm quite the *peeler*. :)/

It's not that I'm the least bit concerned about "down time". Glycolic peels are superficial. My concern is for people who have very sensitive skin and suffer SEVERE BURNS as a result of starting out at such a high acid percentage. My girlfriend who had burns, blisters, and couldn't use anything but Bio-Medic products for sensitive skin for a full year after her peel only had a 40% glycolic peel.

Beth who posts here, I believe had either a 30 or 40% glycolic peel several years ago and still can only use Aveeno soap on her face, and for many years, couldn't even use that. She got burns and scars as a result of her glycolic peel.

The lady who does my needling made the comment that glycolic acid isn't for everyone. It's very harsh; much more so than lactic acid.

So my concern isn't so much for the down time or whatever; but blistering your skin weekly can, over time, damage it. And I want to reiterate here that no one I knows recommends doing what this guy suggests you do. I've gotten peels online and done them at home, and I've had them at plastic surgeon's offices as well. And on top of that, his advice that you can do a 70% peel WEEKLY is beyond irresponsible, in my opinion.

Your face and skin cannot take but so much.