Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Hate Acne!

Help!! What to use for Rosacea

Hi everyone. I have mild acne and will often get a "malar rash" across my nose and cheeks. It's embarrassing...I'll have a million people comment about how sunburned I am... but really, I'm not sunburned at all. This rash seems to lead to breakouts of small pimples and clogged pores on my cheeks. My dermatologist thinks it's rosacea, and she was going to prescribe Retin-A Micro. from what I've read on these boards though, retin-A seems to cause redness, so would it really be effective in eliminating my rosacea? If anyone has rosacea and knows of an effective treatment, please let me know! Thanks for your help in advance. smile.gif

Retin-A is a strong medicine, and can be irritating to some people. Redness comes along with this. If you do get red, just go slowly and let your skin get used to it.

hmm, i think i might have rosacea too, since my skin is constantly red & darker than the rest of my body. so, i'm kind of happy to see that retin-a might help in treating rosacea, since i'm actually taking it right now.

i know most ppl say it is irritating & causes redness, but i find that it actually tones down my redness (right after i put it on at night) & that it hasn't irritated my skin at all. of course, i would definitely recommend you gradually ease your skin into being used to the medicine. you have to be patient anyway, since the medicine takes 2-3 months to work. i've been on it a month so far, but my family hasn't noticed any results (even thought i swear i do), so i'm kind of bummed, but i'll be patient!

Have you tried Finacea (azelaic acid gel)?

I noticed it did not irritate my skin at all so it might be good for your sensitive skin.

I do not have rosacea, but the derm I used to go to liked the drug so I ended up with a tube.

If you not sure wether you have rosacea , see a derm. I thought i had rosacea cause my nose was hella red, and seemed to have a symptoms of rosacea - went to see a derm and he proved me wrong.

Dimon

If you not sure wether you have  rosacea , see a derm. I thought i had rosacea cause my nose was hella red, and seemed to have a symptoms of rosacea - went to see a derm and he proved me wrong.

Dimon

Have you tried Finacea (azelaic acid gel)?

I noticed it did not irritate my skin at all so it might be good for your sensitive skin.

I do not have rosacea, but the derm I used to go to liked the drug so I ended up with a tube.

Thanks for replying!  I've never heard of Finacea, but after reading your reply, I looked into it, and it sounds like a good product.  I also like that you said it isn't irritating.  Do you think it would be helpful in treating my rosacea? Did you have an initial breakout or anything while using it?  How long did it take you to see results?  Thanks in advance for your help! biggrin.gif

Thanks for replying!  I've never heard of Finacea, but after reading your reply, I looked into it, and it sounds like a good product.  I also like that you said it isn't irritating.  Do you think it would be helpful in treating my rosacea? Did you have an initial breakout or anything while using it?  How long did it take you to see results?  Thanks in advance for your help! biggrin.gif

It really didn't do anything for my acne, but it is really for rosacea and *mild* acne, neither of which applies to me! I have moderate, persistent acne that I'm now taking Accutane for.

It didn't cause me to break out at all, though I was on Doxy, cleocin, and tazorac at the same time.

hmm, i think i might have rosacea too, since my skin is constantly red & darker than the rest of my body. so, i'm kind of happy to see that retin-a might help in treating rosacea, since i'm actually taking it right now.

i know most ppl say it is irritating & causes redness, but i find that it actually tones down my redness (right after i put it on at night) & that it hasn't irritated my skin at all. of course, i would definitely recommend you gradually ease your skin into being used to the medicine. you have to be patient anyway, since the medicine takes 2-3 months to work. i've been on it a month so far, but my family hasn't noticed any results (even thought i swear i do), so i'm kind of bummed, but i'll be patient!

i have rosacea (diagnosed by a derm) and am currently using metrogel, minocycline (for the breakouts), and also use differin, clindamyacin, and tazorac for spot treatment. i've never had an issue with the redness associated with rosacea, but the acne-like symptoms have been a nightmare. i wash my face with rosula cleanser twice daily and use cetaphyl to wash when i get home from work. i also take spironolactone to dimish oil production. whew! even typing it out takes a lot out of me!!

my breakouts are mostly mild, but constant. i feel like my skin has improved (although slightly) with this regime, but am always looking for better, more effective treatments.

i tried finacea initially. didnt like it. seemed to harsh for me, but maybe different for you. also, try working on your diet. i cut out lots of things that trigger breakouts-dairy (almost totally. sucks, but worth it), alcohol (totally a beating. oh, how i miss a cold beer!), different vegetables, lots of cosmetic ingredients, and chocolate. i eat just about the same stuff everyday-turkey, tuna... i've looked all the triggers lists out there and would love to cut out everything that could possibly trigger outbreaks, but hey-ya gotta eat something. they say you shouldnt work out strenuously, but i gotta walk 5miles everyday or i would go nuts. probably not the best for my skin, buy whatever!

i have lost a lot of weight doing all this, but i am 5'8 and now weigh 114. a bit to thin for my liking, but i am willing to do it all for my skin to improve.

good luck!