Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iron Maiden UK

Shaving = Skin Irritation?

I think the process of wet shaving can have a negative effect on your skin namely because you are effectively removing a layer of skin from your face which puts of spanner in the works of your natural skin cycle.

I scoffed at this thought at first but I have put in into practice myself and after two weeks of no shaving the cheeks there has been a reduction in zits. Also I think shaving could possibly have a negative effect on acne scarring because if you think about it your not letting your skin naturally heal itself if you are cutting into it. It's like picking at a scab all the time it will eventually scar although this is an extreme.

What I have been doing is simply wet shaving under my nose and on the very edge of my face where hair tends to grow not shaving across the cheeks like I used to. I will say that I am very light in the facial hair department so I can go without shaving without growing much facial hair so those who are prone to a lot of facial hair should use and electric.

It's kind of a logical theory, we say not to irritate the skin on the regime by patting it dry etc but wet shaving is probably the biggest form of irritation for the skin. This may well differ for different skin types but I think everybody should give it a whirl.

me knows watcha mean but two days without shaving I look like a caveman :-s although I try go 3 or 4 before I definatly have to shave.

All theory are welcome, but only experience is valid. Personaly, wet shaving fits best.

na man. thas wrong.. shavin may give u sum razor bumps but it renews ur skin.. i shave at night.. and wen i wake up its white smooth skin.. wen u dunt shave ur facial hair gets full of bacteria n stuff..

I really don't know but it seems logical not to shave. For millions of years man never shaved.

If you don't shave, make sure your beard will cover all your acne problems, because this will make all topical treatments impossible... #-o