Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uni

is this a scar or mild acne?

I'm a 20yr old male. For the last several weeks I've been using the gillette skin care wash and moisturizer with spf15. It has really helped my face clear up but I still have what is either mild acne/papules or acne scars.

I've been on the regimin for the last few days using a cleaning bar I got from CVS, the gillette moisturizer and the on-the-spot (bp) along with shaving everyday.

The moisturizer really burns and so does the BP but not much. The bar also gives a stinging feeling, usually after I shave. My skin has become very flaky and dry and my face feels very tight around the areas that I treat. If I open my mouth wide open I can feel my dry skin stretch and it leaves it even more flaky with white skin peeling(?).

I want to know wheter I have scars or acne and wheter I should keep on with the regimin or try something else for the red marks/bumps. Here is a picture of both my cheeks. You can also see some flaking. I took it with a webcam so the quality is pretty low. You be the judge and give me some suggestions please. eusa_pray.gif

user posted image

(click to see large version)

direct link to image: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2444/cheeks5kz.jpg

I can't really tell from the photos, are those red marks bumps or indents?

To me it looks like irritation or very mild acne, but it's really difficult to tell.

If they are raised skin tissue, I would give it time to determine whether or not it is hypertophic scarring (raised scarring) or not. It's really too soon to say. My guess is that it's acne in this case.

If they are indented marks, it is scarring, but if they're fresh, they still have some healing to do. Do not dry them out.

I dried out my skin too much when I had acne and I believe that is what contributed to my scarring. Start using a non-comedogenic moisturizer and use the BP very sparingly. I found that BP always made my scarring condition worse since I have naturally dry skin to begin with. You could also go see a dermatologist and get professional advice on your situation. Your skin otherwise looks good from the photos. Good luck and let us know if those marks go away!

-Lexy

Just looks like pimples/red marks...

"Scars" should only be a term used for indents and rolling scars really, lol..

Hi Lexy,

Thanks for the reply.

My marks are not indented. They are raised just a tiny bit, just enough to give them texture, thought I may be overreacting about that. It doesn't hurt or anything like that so I'm not sure what it is. My skin really isn't real bad, but bad enough to where I can tell.

I'm going to take your advice about the type of moisturizer and bp. I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens. If nothing happens I will go see a professional.

And to keep it in the same post...

Anyone know what type of shaving cream I can use? Or is it best I stick with a cleansing bar?

BTW, I found out that the bar I was using contains sulfuric acid. And is I understand it, it will burn your skin when used with bp... is that correct? Would this explain the flaking and burning sensations...? eusa_doh.gif I'll be getting the recommended supplies from now on.

Just a little something everyone should read about it;

Your Face wash:

Water; Acrylates Copolymer; Sodium Laureth Sulfate; Glycerin; Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate; Sodium Hydroxide; Decyl Glucoside; Sodium PCA; Sodium Lactate; Niacinamide; Triclosan; Panthenol; Benzophenone-4; Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil; Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil; Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice; Lactic Acid; Glycine; Inositol; Fructose; Urea; Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil; Tocopheryl Acetate; Retinyl Palmitate; Methylchloroisothiazolone; Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil; Methylisothiazolinone; Blue 1

-----------------------------

Sodium Laurel Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is an inexpensive detergent used in products such as shampoos, bath gels, cleansers, floor cleaners, carwash soaps, and engine degreasers. SLS is very corrosive to greasy surfaces. [sodium Laureth Sulfate is a variation of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate that has a higher foaming quality, but shares many of the same characteristics as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.]

SLS is a tissue irritant. It has been used widely in laboratory testing on humans and animals to irritate the skin, so that other agents could be tested to see how they affect the irritated tissue. Because of its irritating affect on the skin, SLS is classified as a drug when used in bubble bath products. SLS actually eats away the skin and may cause rashes (which could lead to infection).

SLS may react with other ingredients in skin products, forming nitrosamines (nitrates; cancer-causing agents). Studies have revealed that SLS penetrates (with prolonged retention) deep into the tissues of the eyes, brain, heart, liver, and other vital tissues.

SLS cleans by corrosion. It strips away protective lipids from the skin. It is believed to attack hair follicles which can cause hair loss.

Many alerts, including governmental, have been released about the dangers and/or negative affects of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, yet it is abundant in many popular products.

Check your personal care products (soap, shampoo, toothpaste...), to see if they contain SLS. Decide for yourself if SLS is a good choice for your health.

--------------------------

I personally cannot use anthing with SLS in it at all. I have horrible allergic reactions to it. This was from the time I was a child even. (back then you had to get a perscription for "soap free" cleansers..amazing)

SLS is responsible for contact dermititis, which is just a surface reaction to SLS. It can look like acne, when in fact, its just an allergic response.

You may want to stop using the face wash, and go with something without SLS. The company JASON makes very good products. They're a little more expensive, but, they're worth saving your skin for. You can usually get them at brick and motar stores like Whole Foods, Wild Oats. These products are also found online as well.

-A