Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lbmovingup

Need a good foundation for black (african american)skin tone

Hi all, I am need of a good foundation that matches my skin well. I am african american and it seems impossible to get a good foundation. I have read a number of post that mention good foundations, but I must say alot of those brands do not cater to african american skin tones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi,

I can understand where you are coming from, because darker skin tones are harder to cater for. Have you tried Maybelline, Bobbi Brown, MAC or Prescriptives? Usually you would need to check around a department store (like Macy's) or a variety store (like Walmart).

Usually, the best bet for darker skin tones is:

- A yellow based oil-free, oil-absorbing foundation (Maybelline EverFresh Make-Up in Tan/Caramel/Mocha or Cocoa, Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Even Finish Foundation in Almond/Walnut/Chestnut or Espresso [You might also like their Foundation Stick in the same colours or their special formulated Blemish Concealer in Rich Almond and/or Rich Chestnut]. Prescriptives makes a foundation to match your skin colour exactly, or it atleast has a close matching foundation, and MAC StudioFinish Matte also has a wide range of darker colours. Instead of finishing with a loose powder in your shade or translucent, which is still a good idea, try to dust with some Brozing Powder (Lancome Star Bronzer Compact, Avene Bronzer Mosaic or Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact or Bronzing Powder).

- Oil-blotting sheets (Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Blotting Sheets).

- Mocha/Toffee Lips - Keep liners natural (Revlon SkinLights GlossLights For Lips in Topaz, Bonne Bell Lip D'Votion in Sweet Mocha).

- The darker skin the darker the tone of make-up. Powder your eyes first and then apply darker shades of brown, green, navy and grey. For a casual day look, use lighter colours, but don;t go for frosty or creamy. (Lancome Powder Duo Eyeshadow in Est Quest).

- For your cheeks, coffee coloured shimmers are the ideal way to highlight your cheekbones. If your skin is sallow, apply an orange toned bronzer or a light puff of dark pink blush. (Laura Mercier Cheek Colour in Sun Kissed - A good pink shade, Napoleon Colour Veil in Bronze - Cheek Tint).

hi lbmovingup,

Im also afro-caribbean and have a hard time finding make up to match my shade. Im light skinned brown like Ashanti/beyonce knowles complexion. Im currently using fashion fairloose powder and their concealor stick its a good coverage for brown marks but not for scars. The only down fall is its quite pricey, and its abit dark for my complexion but its doesn't break me out....

if you have any questions email me

[email protected]

Since nobody mentioned these ones:

http://www.vasanticosmetics.com/products/face_base.asp

Vasanti- I always think this makeup looks interesting for darker yellow based ladies. I noticed it comes in a compact with a sponge and isn't a liquid, so that might not be what u are looking for, but the prices look good. You have to convert them from Canadian to US, or so on.

Aromaleigh-they have some deeper shades of yellow which might work for you, anyway just something for you to think about.

I've heard good things about Iman's makeup. Have u ever looked at her line? (I-Iman) They have it at Sephora. online.

HTH, Amy

I use MaryKay oil-free liquid foundation and it works well and for pressed poweder I use Black Opal. They don't break me out but I don't use them everyday, only when I have a very bad breakout.

boopie, I was going to mention Mary Kay make up. Did you know that Mary Kay has more foundatiuons for African American skin tones than any other company? I think this is great! I use Mary Kay foundation myself , although I am not African American, and I love the stuff. I use the oil free formula. My neighbor is a consultant.

What about Sacha cosmetics, has anyone tried it? I've been meaning to try one of their tester kits (you get it free if you make a purchase). They are supposed to specialize in makeup with a yellow tone to it (sorta of like Bobbi Brown). Sacha's claim to fame is that their cosmetics are used by the black miss america contestants.

I have worn Black Opal and that is a pretty good brand. I didn't care too much for Fashion Fair. I have used Imans powder. It was good too. I actually didn't like Bobbi Browns foundation. It was way too yellow. I have dark skin with red and yellow undertones, not just yellow [-( . It made my skin look weird!

If I had to make a decision, I would go with Black Opal biggrin.gif .

PS What the heck is Tawny? It seems to be a foundation color selection in every cosmetics line. Is it some kind of tree or something :-s ?!