Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

have you ever experienced an improvement of your acne caused by sunlight?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever experienced an improvement of your acne caused by sunlight?

• yes
    • no

hi...i have thought about going to a suncentre and get some sun..... any experiences of yours? ... i have heard it should be a great help!...

my acne is usually better in the summer ...... plz tell me all you know !! :)

cya

hey if you answer the poll please descripe how the sun affected you

Well the sun makes it LOOK better, but as far as making it better? NO! Actually what it does is make the red marks from previous red marks get darker and last a lot longer. Also, b/c the sun makes your skin dry, your oil glands begin to secrete more oil, which can later lead to more breakouts. So all in all, its not a good idea to get sun just to make your acne look better. Hope I helped. :)

I meant red marks from previous breakouts...not red marks from previous red marks. Sorry!

Well the sun makes it LOOK better, but as far as making it better?  NO! Actually what it does is make the red marks from previous red marks get darker and last a lot longer.  Also, b/c the sun makes your skin dry, your oil glands begin to secrete more oil, which can later lead to more breakouts.  So all in all, its not a good idea to get sun just to make your acne look better.  Hope I helped.  :)

Exactly correct. Anyone concerned about getting rid of red marks from prior acne should take this to heart. THE SUN MAKES YOUR RED MARKS LAST MUCH LONGER.

The sun DOES help clear up existing acne. The downside is that sun exposure is skin damage which will bite back with breakouts in the following weeks. I find it is definitely not worth the short term fix.

-Dan

it is well known in this particular forum that sun exposure can lead to more breakouts as you described... this case is not mentioned in ANY other forum i have visited... kinda wierd huh?. i mean if it was so people would mention it right.???..

i would be very happy if we could get a link to some sources here on the internet or whatever which tells that sun exposure may lead to future breakouts because of skindamage??

i fear that this is just an explanation that is beeing told and beeing believed and accepted as if it was proved by science or something... i might be wrong (heh) but it seems in many forums that they have their little stories of their own that nobody questions......

hey .. by the way.. this is the only forum mentioning lemon juice :)

and i know a forum where ppl always have the same talk about vitamins and they all think they are proffessors in the absorbation of vitamins in the human body :roll:

No, this is not the only forum that talks about lemon juice. Also, I've heard and read multile times that sun is bad for acne. I dont know where you have been

Not to be redundant, but i agree. It can dry out moderrate acne and only in moderate sun exposure.(minor) amount. Remember that sun can also cause scarring of some people with severe acne..not to mention may aggravate it further...it did help me in the past but it is not for everyone....please use caution when trying new things.

amy

sun makes my red spots from past or healing pimples even redder

it also makes acne products more irritating to the skin

and then there's skin cancer to worry about... melanoma is a killer!!!

I think it helps. But, it can be dangerous--skin cancer, aging.

I disagree about the red marks being made redder. I have read in some places that it can do that, but it has never happened to me.Maybe everyone is different, but I remember a tan making mine better, my acne too.

I don't sunbathe, but I think getting a bit of sunshine and fresh air daily is a good idea for overall health, including the skin.

Ya know, since people have started using SPF there has actually been an increase in skin cancer. There are two reason sfor this. First, they are starting to wonder if SPF really protects you from skin cancer, and second now that people use SPF they tend to stay out longer in the Sun than they would if they had to worry about burning. People are supposed to practice sun avoidance, not slather on chemicals and sit in the Sun for 10 hours.

I really don't like idea of putting chemicals all over my face and body daily(the BP is enough). I think it is bad. I just stay out of the sun as much as possible.

lol.. who brought up this post of mine... it is more than 2 years old!!!! browsing through 2 years of posts must be really boring :lol:

OMG! I hadn't looked at the date.

I guess someone is searching for answers on the Sun. LOL lol.gif

They pulled up a post of mine from a year ago too. It was my first post. I was really surprised.

Ya know, since people have started using SPF there has actually been an increase in skin cancer. There are two reason sfor this. First, they are starting to wonder if SPF really protects you from skin cancer, and second now that people use SPF they tend to stay out longer in the Sun than they would if they had to worry about burning

Ya know, since people have started using SPF there has actually been an increase in skin cancer. There are two reason sfor this. First, they are starting to wonder if SPF really protects you from skin cancer, and second now that people use SPF they tend to stay out longer in the Sun than they would if they had to worry about burning

another reason is that we are destroying the ozone layer -- the world's sunscreen.

I hope you guys know that Vitamin D deficiency may also be a cause for skin problems. natural sunlight is one of the only sources of Vitamin D and I don't think avoiding sunlight completely is the answer to helping your health in the long run.

if you want to tan, just do it slowly and don't bake in the sun

"it should be noted that excess vitamin D can be toxic to the body, thus care must be taken if a vitamin D supplement is to be used. In the absence of reasonable exposure to sunlight, 1000 IU of supplemental vitamin D daily has been shown to raise plasma levels to an acceptable level (1). When you are able to get out in the sun, a moderate dose of it will do the trick (1). What is a moderate dose? According to Michael F. Holick it is about 25% percent of the exposure time it would take to cause a light pinkness in the skin (1). Remember, this had to be unadulterated exposure to the sun, no sunscreen. After the period of time has elapsed, you can go back inside or apply sunscreen. Finally, you can increase your intake of the foods listed earlier as being rich in vitamin D (oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines, cod-liver oil, fortified milk and orange juice) (1). "

I think oxybenzone and its relatives have been highlighted as possible risks. I read somewhere that it is supposed to sit on your skin and it works by converting UV rays to heat - but, inevitably, some soaks in. It is speculated that when absorbed into your skin the resulting heat can damage DNA, which can cause cancer when cells are dividing. I hasten to add, they're only possible risks.

That said, I'm sure you're far more at risk if you don't use any at all. I think the article also said that the other types of sun protectoin work by reflecting UV rays (instead of converting them), but unfortunately they are not non-comodegenic. But I suppose you could lessen the possible risks by only using UV converting ones where you are likely to break out? :redface2:

Sunglight isnt the only form of Vit D., you get it in milk, orange juice, and in most multi vit to name a few...Yes, the sun makes youre body produce Vit D naturally, but its not the only way.

But I suppose you could lessen the possible risks by only using UV converting ones where you are likely to break out? :redface2: