Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catmin

Catmin's Accutane Journal

oops, and Chuck Norris? Long time acne sufferer?

Doesn't look like Dan to me.... :adam: I wonder what made them put :chuck: here...doesn't look like a longterm acne sufferer!

OK, Cat and everyone...what about Renova or Avage on my tiny dose?? Oh, and I get a tiny skirmish every once in awhile..dries up soon. Benzoyl time, finally??

Yeah, I miss Adrienne, Nymue, and the gal from Louisiana even...just think, we have all been on ths journey for about a year now :doubt:

I never thought benzoyl was helpful. I found it irritating to my skin. I am trying to use as little chemicals as possible now that things are reasonably clear. I have noticed that leave on topical treatments got me into a cycle of drying then moisturizing, then acne, then more drying etc. No good. I have also noticed that my skin heals more quickly when it is left alone.

Sometimes I use a cleanser called Aqua glycolic. It's really strong but it rinses off clean. I also use Amlactin for dry areas.

:shock: I went tot he derm todya for a follow-up. He recommended a manitenaance dose of 40 mgs a day. 20 if it was too much. He said it would clear the KP for good in addition to keeping down the "inflammatiry process" in my skin. I am a little surprised and am on the fence about it. I was taking 120 before. He said 40 was mild. May be KP is not so bad. :wall:

Michael, that's interesting. I have been wondering about that - it seems like 40mg for a maintenance dose is real high.

I'm still on my 10mg daily, and wondering if I should cut that down on the 1 year mark...and yet your derm says that 40mg is maintenance :doubt::think: hmmm....how about long term effects like skeletal changes?

I am not going to do it for now. I Think it would be be too much. I wonder about long term effects. As far as I know, skeletal changes are associated with high dose, long term use but it's not worse risking to get rid of alligator skin on my arms. :chuck: Also, I weigh 200lbs, so 40 mgs means a little less. Finally, according to the doc, bone changes are more common in those who are predisposed (osteoporosis, osteopenia, malacia, etc.)

Anyway, my face has not been this clear in 20 years. That's enough for now.

I am not going to do it for now. I Think it would be be too much. I wonder about long term effects. As far as I know, skeletal changes are associated with high dose, long term use but it's not worse risking to get rid of alligator skin on my arms. :chuck: Also, I weigh 200lbs, so 40 mgs means a little less. Finally, according to the doc, bone changes are more common in those who are predisposed (osteoporosis, osteopenia, malacia, etc.)

Anyway, my face has not been this clear in 20 years. That's enough for now.

And now I wonder about the 10mg per day, on a maintenance...I was trying to get in touch with dermpro, am thinking of 10mg 4X a week for me.

Hey, where is everyone?? In a way this is good, after our treatment we are going on with our lives....

Another question: how about metrogel/cream to keep the small p&p's away? Or Retin-A micro???

Hi :wavey:

Just a quick update:Im not sure how long I've been off accutane--in March I think I took 40mgs once a week.

NO big pimples. Every now and then a small pimple appears but just resolves the following day. No big deal. Some oil is back, but not the kind I have to blot constantly. Only oily on the sides of nose by the end of the day. My arm/legs are back to normal; not easily scratched like before. So no more cuts!!!

Hair is ok, lots of new growth along the hairline. I'm not as obsessed abt losing hair since Im not seeing any bald spots. So overall, no complaints abt hair and accutane. Just using more cream leave-in conditioner on top to keep the frizzy little pieces in place.

How are you all doing? Michael, 40mgs a day is considered maintenance? tht's just crazy. How is your KP doing? How is your dad???

Betts--IM assuming you're still on the 10mgs daily?

Georgia--enjoying good skin I hope

Take care...hope to hear an update every now and then :wub: WE are near our one year anniversary of starting this thread.

hi catmin! i've been a loyal reader of this thread, and had a very similar sudden outbreak like you, and now am just dealing with the aftermath. I was wondering if the texture problems you mentioned you were having with your skin are still an issue, or has it all smoothed out by now? If not, are you still planning on getting a laser treatment or any other type of scar treatment? And what has worked for you so far? Your input would be muchhhhh appreciated. Thanks!!!

ps. i LOVE YOUR LOG!!! :dance: It has been so entertaining and educational reading this thread.. i don't know how i would'v survived w/o it!! Especially because of the fact that i can identify with your situation SOo well: having clear skin and then suddenly breaking out of nowhere, the constant questioning of "how did this happen?" the insensitive parents, the avoiding your friends, etc etc .. its been really great to hear a person with such an optimistic and cheerful perspective. i really do admire you :wub: You have been a great help to me, more than you'll ever know, and i'm sure to countless others who have read this thread too. THANK YOUUUUU SO MUCH!!!! :clap::clap:

hope all is well :cool: -kathi

Hang in there, kathi! It IS a shock to have had this happen out of nowhere. And deep inside we always ask - WHY? THere must be a reason...and of course our derms haven't found it in 90% of the cases....blood tests ok, etc.

Anyhow...stay the course. You'll be glad you did.

Betts

aww THANKS betts!!! :wub: that's so true!

its so funny how although i haven't met you, i feel like i know you just from reading this log.. crazy thing this internet lol

i hope your maintenance program is going well! you deserve all the best!!! :D

aww THANKS betts!!! :wub: that's so true!

its so funny how although i haven't met you, i feel like i know you just from reading this log.. crazy thing this internet lol

i hope your maintenance program is going well! you deserve all the best!!! :D

Hey, I am back here after vacation and it's like WOW...where is everyone??? I miss Catmin, gamarwil, pimp, ct mommy...but am carrying on here...because this is like the best thread going...how supported we all became!

I am bumping this up because I hope to hear from us all...the group that started accutane last year. (The worst skin year of my life)

In case anyone wishes to know, I am on maintenance dose, still with no side effects, and hope that all is well with everyone else. This medication saved my LIFE.

Love to all of you. Hang in there, those who are starting on this road! It is SOOO worth it..

Love

Betts

Hello everyone, I have been wanting to post again here but the thread always goes back to Cat's first post.

For those who are interested, I am on a maintenance dose, feel great, and the nightmare of itching, painful skin is in remission!

I wonder how everyone is....and will be glad to help newcomers.

Hey all, just stopped by to say hi....my last post was quite some time ago...I am still on a maintenance dose of accutane, 10mg per day...and a day or two off every two weeks.

My life and my mental state (I am one of those who reacts poorly to the odd zit) are much better....I could not have stood letting my skin get worse and worse without being proactive (not the brand name...)

If anyone else of our vintage is still around, please post. I would love to hear how everyone is....

To those of you just starting: yes, it does work, hang in.

Love and respect to all,

Betts

:wavey: Hey guys!! Gosh it sure has been a long time! I've been busy with life, I guess. I can't believe so much time has gone by.....I hope I'm posting this right, so much has changed with this site. Anyway, quick update on me.....face is relatively clear, no cystic acne at all since finishing my second round of accutane. I am still taking the spiro, though only 25 mgs or so a day. It's such a small dose, but it's just enough to keep most of the tiny pimples away. I was up to 100 mg. a day, but I gained 20 POUNDS in 9 months. :redface: The doc said the spiro was likely the culprit, so I dropped my dose down. My hair is finally growing back in nicely. It was such a mess about a year ago. So much new growth but a lot of damage too.

That's all I have to report! Cat, I hope you're doing great! Betts, Michael, Beth and everyone else, I hope all is well with every one of you. I think about you guys all the time. I'm so thankful for your help through such a tough and lonely time in my life. Take care!!!! :wub: