Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catmin

Catmin's Accutane Journal

It sure is quiet....

Cancun was fun fun fun. OF course, I was the only one there spotting a gigantic hat and sunglasses. My kids are soooo tanned (despite all the slathered sunblock)

The last time I was in Cancun was 8 years ago and this time it didn't look the same after the hurricane bit through it last year. The trees just didn't look the same and most hotels were still closed for construction. Quite depressing....

HOw are you all doing ....skin wise too...???

Im doing ok...no new zits. Taking 2 pills a week (20mg). After a few days of taking one, my lips get dry around the edges...otherwise no other side effects. I 'm so done with it. I really want to start

some sort of laser (fraxel) . I have a derm appt next week and willl talk to him abt it.

updates???

Hey Cat!!! Glad you had a good time in Cancun.....I was thinking about you and wondering if your house was floating away in the bay due to all the rain????? Anyway, I can't wait for school to be out so we can head to the beach!

So far, my skin is doing ok. Every now and then I'll get a "twinge" and fear a zit is trying to surface.... :wall: The oil is returning.....my hair is trying to grow back, though it does look like it has a little wave to it (Michael). The redness is still fading out, but you can still make out some of the "battle scars".....

But overall, I'm happy with it. I'm even thinking of trying the spiro again....I know, call me crazy. But everytime I have to pluck a hair I think about trying the stuff again..... :shhh:

Cat, are you self-maintenancing or did the doc order it? I still have some left should I relapse. Wonder how Adrienne and Beth are doing?

Michael, what's going on with you?

Howdy guys! Where is everyone? Actually, I almost forgot about this place because my face has been clear......knock wood. Cat, how are you doing? Michael, are you still clear?

At 9 weeks post, the oil is returning to my face...but I'm learning to like that?

Hope everyone is doing well!

It's a long story, my Dad is sickies and it doesn;t look good. I think he had too much ACcutane :D

so I am feeling a little crappy.

I do have good news though...I went for a final, final MRI of my jaw and it was clear so they took me off all medications. Guess what? 2 days later, my KP started to clear and now is almost gone. I think I went through some withdrawl though. I still feel a little bit like garbage. I was taking so many anti inflammatories that when I stopped, I think jsut getting abck to normal was painful. It better now but I had a bad 7 days.

I get my teeth Zoom lasered next week (bleaching). I will probably need dentures afterward.

Mike

how much does accutane cost?

it depends on if your insurance covers it or not. my amnesteem only costs me $5 a month! But, if you're one of the unlucky ones without insurance, it can cost between $400-$1000 a month! Good luck!

Hey Cat!!! Glad you had a good time in Cancun.....I was thinking about you and wondering if your house was floating away in the bay due to all the rain?????

fickle weather!!! one day it rains...the next its hot. Today its in the low 80's.

So far, my skin is doing ok. Every now and then I'll get a "twinge" and fear a zit is trying to surface.... :wall: The oil is returning.....my hair is trying to grow back, though it does look like it has a little wave to it (Michael).

my new hair growth looks like it has a kink in it. Yuck. It sounds like the mini-fro you spoke of before.

I can't believe you are considering spiro again. Do you like being a blow fish????

Cat, are you self-maintenancing or did the doc order it? I still have some left should I relapse.

Actually, believe it or not, dermy still wants me on accutane. I decided to wean myself. He knows Im self maintaining...he just says 'well, I guess any amt is better than none... :wacko:

I saw him this morning. He commented tht Im still red. (hmmm....no sh*t sherlock) Not spots of red , just sort of a flush to me. (and the excision spots are pink; manageable with makeup on)

how much does accutane cost?

With insurance it costs me $25 (Im on the brand Accutane)

It's a long story, my Dad is sickies and it doesn;t look good. I think he had too much ACcutane :D

so I am feeling a little crappy.

I didn't like your accutane joke. :mad:

Im sorry to hear he isn't well.

Is his memory getting worse? I miss your family tales.

Glad to hear all is well with your jaw. .... teeth bleaching??? from your last picture your teeth already looked white. You are going to be too pretty!

oh...now tht kp's gone, wish I could go shopping for tht sleeveless dress with ya!

Actually, believe it or not, dermy still wants me on accutane.

Hi Guys, remember me? I have been looking for our log, here it is.

Changing moisturizers - a bit of a breakout - but overall I am so relieved and happy.

Cat, glad you had a good vacation.....Can't believe that the derm is saying 'stay on it'. I have heard that too, that it is all right to keep on it...not every day.

Have missed all of you. Much going on here!

Hugs

Betts

Actually, believe it or not, dermy still wants me on accutane.

Hi Guys, remember me? I have been looking for our log, here it is.

Changing moisturizers - a bit of a breakout - but overall I am so relieved and happy.

Cat, glad you had a good vacation.....Can't believe that the derm is saying 'stay on it'. I have heard that too, that it is all right to keep on it...not every day.

Have missed all of you. Much going on here!

Hugs

Betts

Wondered where you went! What have you been upto? travel?

RE: taking one pill a week; the side effects hit me 2 days later--dry lips and dry skin for a few days, then tapers off, then its time to take another pill.

Michael==are you still taking accutane/maintenance?

Hello dahlings. Cat, have you read this article?

click on http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=65528

Re small doses.

Oh, yes we did travel a bit...just to PR - but love it there! All I can afford at present. Don't know when I will be in FL next - it really WOULD be good to have a reunion....

I'm still doing the 10mg per day, still no side effects....

More later, glad this thread is still going on!

Betts

Interesting article Betts--thanks. That's reassuring. I guess my derm is on the right track. I do like the idea of not having to deal with an oily face....I just hope I don't get premature wrinkles....out of the pot and into the frying pan eh? :wacko:

My social life has picked up immensely when compared to last year. There are still some people in certain circles tht I avoid-- Im just not ready to present my battle scars (I think Georgia used this term and Im borrowing it)

But more than anything, my mental health, is on a more positive mode. Last year I was a hermit and so depressed. My face was unrecognizable. :boohoo:

Im so thankful for accutane. Hopefully I can say the same thing 10 yrs down the road and not regret having taken/taking accutane.(i.e.long term side effects)

And so glad to have you bunch with me. :wub: I do miss our regular posts...but realize we're not moping/doting on this the same way.

Michael--I miss your long funny posts. I hope your dad is alright.

Georgia--how are your kids doing? my little one just started preschool and loving it. I am LOVING the free time to myself. My son has abandoned his bike/skateboard/pogostick and the new thing for him is the razor scooter. I cringe :mad: when I see him speeding down the driveway.

I am not feeling like myself so my posts are not like me. May be I am suffering from the kind of depression with people without acne get. :doh: I imagined I would be happy as a damn clam without acne but I guess that was not the answer. Of course I am glad it is gone but now I have to get deeper than the skin. That might be even tougher than Accutane. It seems easy to blame unhappiness or discontent on the obvious (e.g. my stomach is fat, my face is pimply, etc). I guess I could focus on workouts and get into perfect shape but something tells me that would not do it either. (It wouldn't hurt), but it is not the answer. :wall: May be I am just sad about my Dad and gaining the realization that our lives ( all of them) are simply too short.

Michael, I can so relate to what you said. It is very sad to see loved ones inch away as they age.

Also, maybe there is a letdown; hey, we were all so upset over what was happening last year with ourselves physically, and when we look back, it was a sad time as well - changed our lives until our derms finally went with accutane.

Cat - I feel the same way around friends, so called. I'm thinking of one or two that asked me if I had the measles....

Hey Cat!!! And everyone else..oh where are you?

I am ready to order the Aromaleigh - but can't figure out which foundation. I use Clinique Matt Honey in their powder, but can't relate that...

Any ideas?? Can you tell me more about this product? I am looking forward to trying it.

I get ready to do my maintenance dose soon!! :doubt::)

Um...where is everyone??

Hugs

Betts

Hi guys!! Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I last posted......

Cat, about the spiro.....as I was plucking a stray hair one day, it hit me that maybe I should give the spiro another try, so I started taking it again and nothing bad happened. In fact, I've been taking it for a few weeks now and so far I'm doing fine. I went in for a checkup last week and the derm upped my dose to 75mg a day and gave me tons of retin-a micro samples (yeah, I know, I about fell out)....she gave me those just in case I had a breakout. Anyway, so far-so good.

My little guy started preschool last September and he goes to public school pre-k in the fall. YAY!!!!! Both my sons will be in school all day M-F and I'll begin to regain my sanity? :lol: Actually, I'll probably feel sad a little, so we'll have to make the most of this summer!

Michael, sometimes I feel really depressed. Sometimes I think I wasn't diagnosed with Post Partum Depression or something, but should have been. For the past four years I've felt a little less than "before" but mostly I've tried to press on. I keep thinking I'll find what's missing, and then I remember what I have in my life and I try to focus on the positives. I always worried about what accutane would do on top of that? I guess I did ok.

My hair is trying to grow back!! Still looks odd, but I'm working with it..... :chuck: ????

I wonder if ACcuatne has done this too but then I think that I have read too much and am being convinced that Accutane causes depression even if it doesn't. Interestingly, some anti-depressants have a higher incidence of suicide than Accuante :doh: especially in teens. we are probably safe.

Hi!!!!!

Georgia, glad to hear spiro is working for you. Why are you on it though? Was accutane not enough??

or did bloodwork reveal any signs of pcos?

I got so excited to hear you finally got samples! Are you still using stuff for melasma?

Michael, how is your dad? HOw is your skin?

Betts, regarding aromaleigh minerals, I think the Glissade formula is recommended for those with rosacea.

my update:

Im done with accutane. Stopped some time ago. Hopefully oil won't come back and no major zits. I don't think I can deal with that! My derm actually preferred me to stay on it longer because he feels it helps with scarring from underneath (??) I just think I've been on it too long.

So, after going through all the Ipledge stuff...just to get only one more months supply. I still have my surplus :shhh: should i need to start maintenance for reals (I was sort of on a maintenance from Feb. till April)

Still feel yuckky abt my face . Looking into fraxel to soften scars and improve texture. Im on retin-a micro/hydroquinone every other day. Its nice to have normal lips again (yeah, baguette sandwiches)

and not dealing with arm/leg rashes. I've noticed I don't get those hand scrapes anymore (I would get papercut type of injuries daily from my kitchen cupboard/under the shelves when the tops of my hand bump it) but I haven't had tht since February, since cutting down my dosages.

Nightvision: everthing feels fine in the eye dept. NO more funny eye blurs at night.

What I've always wanted to bring up, but managed to forget, since being on accutane, I haven't had any eye boogers (not even when I wake up in the morning).... eye boogers=eye goo, eye crust..... If you have kids you probably refer to them as eye boogers.

Tell me Im imagining this==since stopping accutane I feel my hair sheds MORE.

I tried a new parting, and discovered there's a lot of new growth/baby hair. (better than finding a bald spot)Didn't Georgia have this too? Changing the parting really helps; no more kinky hairs popping up and hair lays smoothly. Im still washing every 2-3 days and I hope it stays tht way. I mentioned to dermy tht my hair sheds more AFTER stopping accutane and he just sort of looked at me this way :shifty: (perhaps because he's bald?) and said "accutane alledgedly (sp?) causes hair loss" :rolleyes:

He is very pro-accutane in every way.

Im thankful for accutane (so far)

Hope you all continue to update. I think we've lost Beth and ADDrienne for good.

But I guess in this case, No news is good news.

Georgia....where's your picture?

:wub:

My KP is still bad. It comes in waves. The sun makes it all but disappear but it only a temporary fix. I have started pouring on the Amlactin. Speaking of waves...mine are gone. Yes Catmin I agree, I think I said this a long time ago. My hair is now more uniformly straight, not thinner, just straight and less like a wool hat. Happy about that. My skin is back to its oily self and yes I have minor pimples but I ignore them and they disappear. There are no cysts, no remnants of cysts. It's really humid here which accounts for some of the oil slick. I can stand the oil aslong as the cysts stay away. And still no pores. I stoppped Accutane in December and tool small doses until January. My joints are normal now.I don't think I could ever take it again. Well...I would but only as a last resort. :hand:

My Dad is still in the woods.

PBG

Hi Catmin....

Did the docs say how long you should wait after Accutane before having Fraxel?

Glad you're clear though ! :cool:

Paul

Hi Catmin....

Did the docs say how long you should wait after Accutane before having Fraxel?

Glad you're clear though ! :cool:

Paul

I contacted several plastic surgeons/fraxel-ers;

one initially said no need to delay but changed his mind after contacting Reliant (makers of fraxel) who 'recommend' 6 months.

4 other docs said 3-6 months

2 others said 2-4 weeks (but would need to check out my skin before proceeding)

My own derm feels its ok to go ahead when my lips feel back to normal. (he hasn't jumped on the fraxel bandwagon, so Im shopping elsewhere)

He actually did a few excisions on me whilst I was on accutane. It came out/healed alright, but could look much better (here's where I hope fraxel can help too)

My KP is still bad. It comes in waves. The sun makes it all but disappear but it only a temporary fix. I have started pouring on the Amlactin. Speaking of waves...mine are gone. Yes Catmin I agree, I think I said this a long time ago. My hair is now more uniformly straight, not thinner, just straight and less like a wool hat. Happy about that. My skin is back to its oily self and yes I have minor pimples but I ignore them and they disappear. There are no cysts, no remnants of cysts. It's really humid here which accounts for some of the oil slick. I can stand the oil aslong as the cysts stay away. And still no pores. I stoppped Accutane in December and tool small doses until January. My joints are normal now.I don't think I could ever take it again. Well...I would but only as a last resort. :hand:

My Dad is still in the woods.

PBG

Hi punkin :comfort: .... I felt sad to read tht abt your dad. Is his memory worse?

What are you agreeing to? I wrote so much...not sure what you're referring too...the hair shedding? the eye boogers?

So glad to hear your joints are normal again. So what meds ARE YOU taking now?

My allergies are acting up with this hot weather. I step outside and my throat itches, watery eyes/nose. Im too paranoid to take anything.... I remember thinking one of the allergy meds I took last year could have triggered the biggest baddest ugliest breakouts of my life. (that med was Astelin, nasal spray) call me silly!

This is new :dan:

we still need one with pimple spots on it.

I agre about the different hair. Can you read? :chuck:

I am off all medications. OK an occasional Ambien if I really can not sleep.

In my humble opinion, my skin would not have been ready for surgeries, mild or otherwise for a good 4 months following ACcutane. IT is ready now :dan: who is this idiot?

I agre about the different hair. Can you read? :chuck:

:doh: I had a feeling you were talking abt hair... wasn't sure what exactly abt the hair... I said alot of diff. things abt the hair.

:dan: who is this idiot?

Dan, the guy tht started acne.org....the clear regimen... :whistle: