Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catmin

Catmin's Accutane Journal

IT is pilaris keratosis. he gave me somrthing called Amlactin. Then I went out in the sun and it is almost gone. YUOu guys are all experts.

yes .... tht's what I meant when I said kerasis pila whatever. My sister in law gets this...I wonder what she uses, I'll have to tell her to try amlactin if she hasn't.

Betts, what sort of scars? redness?

Had a haircut this morning. I hate tht my stylist's chair is right next to the enourmous bay windows. Extrmely BRIGHT and everything ugly is highlighted.

my hair looks healthy and shiny..... she didn't note any dryness or thinning...yeah!

okay I was not kidding. but I did lie, I went to Electric Sun for nine minutes. I thought I could control the damage better. :shrug: I put a sock on my :blush: and covered my face with my t shirt (half time) and now my arms are completely smooth. I am lucky my skin gets brown fast but I was concered about burning my :xxx: although I doubt I would have. Somehow nature took care of that.

On a happy note, I went out to... yes, to a gay bar earlier today which I have avoided for about nine months because gay men are the most critical people in the world as a result of thier own lack of self love an acceptance. Of course I ran into eight million people I used to know. One of them insisted I admit I had surgery on my face. We were at an outside bar and the sun was bright. He said he hated me adn loved me becuase he was desperately trying to find a pore or wrinkle and failed. I said take Accuatne for 5 months, damage your joints permanently and you too can have perfect skin. I have to admit getting some sun for the first time in 7 months makes me look like a new person with my newly smooth skin. :alien:

I wore my Rolex and a very simple Tiffany platinum pendant on a black silk chain around my neck. Some queen had the nerve to ask if that was all I could afford. I guess I was supposed to break out the diamond studded tiara and tennis bracelet to get drunk with a bunch of whores. I told him I would wear my tiara if he would lose twenty pounds, stop posting his penis on the internet and get a better weave. Okay I am cured. Sorry I know I sound bitter. :box:

I put a sock on my :blush: and covered my face with my t shirt (half time) and now my arms are completely smooth.

Is that funny or what! Wonder what other people come up with....(pun intended)

:liar: :liar: remember this guy...

I was intrigued abt the comment abt the 'jewelry'.... are most trying to outdo each other or something?????

Anywho...he probably mistook your platinum for silver :idea:

Love the bit abt the tiara....

you are damn lucky not to have any scarring or residual redness. I love and hate you too! :wub: and :evil:

I just had a vision of you in your cartharts (I forgot if tht's what they were called.....you know, those overalls....)

I told him I would wear my tiara if he would lose twenty pounds, stop posting his penis on the internet and get a better weave.

zing!

that's why I avoid bars. it's the smae people who try out for shows like the "OC" when they have a casting. It's pretty funny. South Florida is a MESSSSSSS

I kn ow I am lucky with no scars.

that's why I avoid bars. it's the smae people who try out for shows like the "OC" when they have a casting. It's pretty funny. South Florida is a MESSSSSSS

I know I am lucky with no scars.

You sure are. I am putting on the Neutrogena green or medium cover, never knowing what's a breakout, what not. I hope these are fading. Sure takes a long time to fade: and a small one I had, did not touch, the last 2 weeks is still red-marky although I think it's drying up.

I am hoping to develop trust in my skin again :boohoo: and emerge. Michael, you healed so FAST :confused:

I know you are slathering the sun block and you are still under treatment and the sun is evil according to every skin care manufacturer that wants us to buy their sun block but...................I have to say, half and hour of sun or 10 minutes in a booth if you live in the north and those red marks will be history.

My slin is responding very well to the sun following treatment with Accutane. I would be very careful but I think my skin was starved for a little sunshine.

How is everyone doing? I have 3 actives, out of the blue...2 on right, 1 on left. What gives? I've been on accutane for months and STILL have a breakout now and then??

No chance to increase dose, according to doc...will hang in...was doing so well, too.

Hope all is well with you guys!

Hugs

Betts

The doctor gave me a non prescription lotion called Amlactin. I never heard of it but he was right, it is the drug store but is very difficult to find. It is sodium hydroxide and lactic acid. It is supposed to fix keratoses pilaris. I am using it on my face too. I think it works. I thought it was expensive for a Walgreens remedy, $20...but it seems to be working.

Cat, we now have been on like 8 and 7 months, I think, without a break. I think it's interesting that the idea of a break was never brought up, I don't believe....like you, I am wondering: What caused this sudden breakout in the first place? And, like you I'm missing the old days. Because I started on this a full two years after it started, I have been left with red marks, too, and scars...and wonder if I'd gone on accutane earlier, the scars, the panic, etc., could have been avoided.

Betts, I think accutane caused my scarring.....during the time of the "pimple explosion".....around week 8 or so? My derm (one of them anyway) said some of the redness would fade out once I stopped accutane. We'll see. My next appt is Friday. I guess that's when I'll stop. My skin has been clear for a while now so I'm pretty happy to finally be done with this stuff. I just hope my skin continues to be mostly clear anyway. Maybe my skin needs some sun too! I look all pasty and white. I could use some color to liven up my ghostly complexion. I've never been so white. :ghost:

I just got out of the tanning booth (7 minutes) just to take the glare off and keep the KP to a minimum. I covered my face half the time.

Michael, I don't think Amlactin is indicated for facial use.

Cat, how are you doing??? I miss everyone!!!

I just heard that I can stay on 10mg long, long term. My dr. seems to think that I might have a problem with the way my body metabolizes Vitamin A.

Any of us guys using B complex vitamins? Along with isotretinoin?

Have a great Sunday, all...

REally?, I am having a good reaction to it on my face. AFter all of the anti acne poison I have ingested I dount a lit Amlactin will hurt. :nuke: I just keep it away from my eyes.

It has been quiet here.

Last week I had a little punch excision on the side of my face. My derm didn't put stitches in as he feels it will look better once healed. I was freaked out when I took the bandaid off the next day but I can see now tht it's starting to get better. I went in today just for him to look at it and he says it looks better than he expected. :rolleyes: I was kind of mad to have this 'open' wound and complained abt not having stitches. He says I'll be thanking him later. (should take abt a month to heal to look normal)

Yes, Im still on accutane.

My tryglycerides have rised(risen?) Am to cut out sugar and white flour and add some other stuff.

I expressed concern over being on tane for so long, so he's sending me for a bone density xray.

I also asked abt taking tht spiro stuff for lowering male hormones but he said he doenst recommend it (as I don't have signs of pcos) :naughty: He also added (Georgia) tht it makes women gain weight in unwanted places (is there ever a place we want to gain anyway....oh...boobs maybe) ....so not worth taking it solely for controlling acne I suppose.

Michael--you didn't read one of my pm's to you in reply to 'yoo hoo'

Betts--im not taking any b vitamins. Just vit.C religiously as per derm's instructions. (the crystals) and now, extra calcium.

Beth--did you check your stash for purecover 2N? Im desperate.

Glad to hear everyone is clear.... Betts..Im like you....a stray one here and there. poo.

Michael-- hows the kp? still tanning? Im imagining a George Hamilton look-alike.

Hey Cat!

Uggh. You would have to tell me about the weight gain thing, huh? Well, saw my derm today (the new lady) and she gave me a script for spiro. She said it was a low dose to start and told me to stay away from bananas. Michael, does that emergen'c stuff you recommended have too much potassium or enough to matter when taking spiro?

Anyway, she wanted me to take Yasmin, but I told her no and so she said spiro would work just as well. I don't have to go back for two months (yay). She said it could cause breast tenderness, Cat, so maybe the breasts do grow? :pray: Whatever. It's a diuretic so I wonder how I could gain weight? She said it would help with unwanted facial hair. (double yay) She said to let her know if I needed something to spot treat any future breakouts. I told her I hoped I wouldn't ever have to need anything.

I've been off accutane for about 5 days and I really don't feel much different. I thought I'd have more energy and that I'd maybe look less like death warmed over, but nope. I pretty much look and feel the same. Things are starting to bloom here so maybe it's my allergies acting up. I always get nasal congestion this time of year, which causes my headaches.

Beth, Michael and Adrienne: how long did it take for you to start feeling normal again post-tane?

Tell me what you guys think about this change....the spiro and all. I'm really interested in your opinions.

YEah Georgia! Off tane!

I don't understand the weight gain either if its a diuretic. I'll have to ask my derm to be specific next time. He just didn't agree to putting me on it solely for controlling acne. My bloodwork shows nothing unusual (pcos related) and I dont have the 'sometimes' tell tales of pcos (irregular period, excess hair, weight around tummy, etc)

I hope you continue to update us. HOpefully the death warmed over pasty look will be a thing of the past soon. IF not, aromaleigh has some fantastic perle all-over face powders...I love it. It just brightens me up (imho anyway)

How's your redness at this point?

My excised spot is looking better. I think its amazing my derm was right abt not having to put stitches...I thought tht was crucial for healing nicely. I havent' read anywhere on these scar boards regarding 'no' stitches. But the downtime is the price to pay I guess....

Betts....looks like we're the last two on this. Unless Michael is on maintenance still.

:wub: cat

Hey Cat! Yeah, I was reading through the boards here on anything to do with spiro and I found an interesting article about androgens, etc. It said (and so did my derm) that sometimes blood work doesn't show the increased androgens. It all made sense to me (somewhat) with the hair follicles, sebum producing acne......and not necessarily increased hair growth, but the change of hair texture and thickness. Pretty interesting stuff. My dose is only 50 mg/day, and that's low by comparison to most I read about. My pharmacist said that emergen'c stuff shouldn't give me too much potassium, so that's a good thing. I really need something to pep me up. I've been really dragging lately. Not much energy at all, even with the upteen billion coffees I drink daily. :shhh:

And I'm pulling my minerals back out to try them again. My skin isn't nearly as red as it used to be and a lot of my red marks have faded out.....I'm more concerned about the dark circles under my eyes. :ninja:

Of course I will keep posting!! You guys are my acne buds! My pimple pals! :dance: And you're the only ones I can complain to? Thanks!!!!!!! :wub:

I am still tanning. The weather has been great for it. THe sun has all but cured my keratosis pilaris if that is what I had :doh: I am still unclear on the whole thing. HE said my skin is too dry from Accutane but he also mumbled that accutane can cure this :hand: THat conversation went no where so I went to the beach. My skin is responding better to the sun since treatment. EVen with sunblock, I get an even, no burned cheeks or nose, tan. I think my skin is much healthier beciuase there are no breaks, scars or raw parts from ghosts of pimples past.

Hi Cat, Gam, Michael...donde esta Nymue? Also wonder what happened to Karmagirl....

Yep Cat, I'm still on and evidently will be on for awhile, a long while, on maintenance. No end in sight, but I am so pleased and counting my blessings I finally DID go on before it got any worse. I think that the folliculitis/rosacea/acne could have been dealt with MUCH earlier, and am still pissed I had to wait so long. But I'm happy now. :pray: hope it stays that way.

On spiro, I have always wondered why derms hesitate to put people on this. Doesn't seem to have too many side effects. Gam, I'm really interested to see what this does for you.

Happy Sunday all!

Hugs

Betts

P.S. I still think it's so weird I haven't had side effects. Whatever aches and pains I ever had are ALL gone.

Week 35-36

I've only been taking 40mg's since my little excision surgery. Its healing very well, almost to the surface, but red.

I don't know how to cope when I have some other work done (esp. the redness, and walking around with little bandages on)

Am clear. I think lowering the dose helped???? strange

No eczema & no funny aches

How's everyone else doing?

Well, I haven't been doing so well on spiro.....in fact, after only two days of taking the drug, I swelled up like a blowfish. :sick: Not kidding. I had to go to my family doc to figure out what was going on because the derm's office wouldn't call me back. :evil: Anyway, it seems I had some sort of reaction to it, and even after doing tons of bloodwork we can't figure out why that happened. So, the doc presribed another diuretic (HCTZ) and I'm slowly returning to normal.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Needless to say, I won't be taking the spiro again. I really don't need it right now and I pray I will never need it. Maybe this time the accutane took care of the acne. We'll see.

Well, I haven't been doing so well on spiro.....in fact, after only two days of taking the drug, I swelled up like a blowfish. :sick: Not kidding. I had to go to my family doc to figure out what was going on because the derm's office wouldn't call me back. :evil: Anyway, it seems I had some sort of reaction to it, and even after doing tons of bloodwork we can't figure out why that happened. So, the doc presribed another diuretic (HCTZ) and I'm slowly returning to normal.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Needless to say, I won't be taking the spiro again. I really don't need it right now and I pray I will never need it. Maybe this time the accutane took care of the acne. We'll see.

:shock: Wow! All of you swelled up?

Were you prescribed a diuretic to 'deflate' you?

Sure sounds like a willy-wonka blueberry experience!

Your derms office :hand: ....did they ever call you back?

The derm's office finally called me back and said to stay off the spiro for a week, then try it again. LIKE HELL.

And yes, the diuretic was to deflate me....and it's working, but taking forever. I TOTALLY feel like the blueberry girl in Wonka. UGGH.