Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankY

Anyone use Retin - A long term?

I remember my derm a while back saying that If I use retin A long term it would erase my acne scars.. well after 1 week I thought my face looked awful and I discontinued its use.... but now I am wonderings.... any thoughts?

I used Retin-A .025% for about 7 years and it did jack for my acne scars. It helps with the red marks left over from old acne quite well, but it does zilch for anything resembling a pitted scar.

Maybe if you move up to higher concentrations which will peel the skin more, but I really don't think Retin-A can do anything more than give a superficial peel of the skin. For scar removal, one must target several layers or even the epidermis. Actually, the past several years I was on Retin-A, I really didn't experience any peeling at all. It just stopped doing just about anything, to be honest, since my acne was coming back.

Personally, I'm looking forward to chemical peels and/or microdermabrasion for my scars later this year since my derm said they the scars are rather minor and won't require anything has major as laser surgery. God, I dearly hope that, if not totally removed, these scars can at least be leveled out and barely noticeable!

I feel mine are VERY minor also but they are sooo stubborn - they are the enlarged pore / orange peel kind. I have 2 boxcar and 1 rolling and beleive it or not these dont bother me! Hmm anyone use the .05 stregnth of retin a?

I have isotrex gel (retin-a) on prescription. Been using it every night for almost a year. Hasn't helped with scars. Created many scars in the intial 2.5 months where it made my skin terrible. I really thought this was gonna change my life, I use it still now cos the one thing it did do is stop my skin being so oily (instead its all dry and flakey, lesser of two evils, marginally).