Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lexy

dermabrasion after accutane

I have visited 2 plastic surgeons in my area and both of them told me I need to wait at least a year after accutane before they will perform dermabrasion on me. I have heard Dr. Y says 6 months is enough time.

I was wondering out of everyone here who has been on accutane and had a dermabrasion, how long you waited to have the dermabrasion after stopping accutane and were you pleased w/ your results.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Lexy,

When I had my dermabrasion I had been off accutane about 4 years. I think you need to be off accutane 6 months before dermabrasion.

k9lover

Lexy, 

When I had my dermabrasion I had been off accutane about 4 years. I think you need to be off accutane 6 months before dermabrasion.

k9lover

Lexy,

Please be patient and try to wait it out at least a year, your skin will get so much better. You do not want to risk dermabrasion and hopefully you wont have to. I have never had dermabrasion myself, but know a few people who had it done. The recovery time and the emotional stress is very hard for some people

Ive seen the pictures you posted and your scars seem very minor, I know you've said you are mostly having problems with skin texture. That will get better once you are off accutane and some time has passed.

If you do not have deep indented scars, I would suggest microdermabrasion 4-6 month after accutane. Its not as severe as dermabrasion, but on the highest level with a few treatments its very affective. At least it was for me.

If you do decide to get it done, I would recommend getting punch floats or excisions before the dermabrasion.

Lexy,

Please be patient and try to wait it out at least a year, your skin will get so much better. You do not want to risk dermabrasion and hopefully you wont have to. I have never had dermabrasion myself, but know a few people who had it done. The recovery time and the emotional stress is very hard for some people

Ive seen the pictures you posted and your scars seem very minor, I know you've said you are mostly having problems with skin texture. That will get better once you are off accutane and some time has passed.

If you do not have deep indented scars, I would suggest microdermabrasion 4-6 month after accutane. Its not as severe as dermabrasion, but on the highest level with a few treatments its very affective. At least it was for me.

If you do decide to get it done, I would recommend getting punch floats or excisions before the dermabrasion.

Lexy-- a peel can get rid of scarring if it's paired with some kind of mechanical abrasion. That's what I've gathered from looking at exoderm testimonials. The people who are really happy with the way their skin turned out are the ones who had a doctor that sanded or scrubbed the layers of collagen revealed when the upper layers were melted away. I forget what the west coast doctor's name was... Rullan? Rullen?

If your scarring is really mild, you could just leave it alone and see what time does to it. *shrug* Sorry. Also-- why not try some lactic acid peels? I know I seem to push those, but that's because not everybody can get a prescription for tazorac (the peeling agent I use), and not everybody can tolerate it.

I'd either go really conservative, like L A peels, or really aggressive, like dermabrasions. Eh. In between just isn't worth it.

I wouldn't do dermabrasion.. Im too scared.. I will do peels, cross, punch floats, filler(permanent plz) exision /in.. and maybe MICROdermabrasion. If this will not improve my skin to an acceptable level then screw it. I'll just live on. For now i haven't done anything. Not one treatment hehe.

I think lexy you should first try some peels to get rid of minor scarring and get your nice skincomplex back. Dermabrasion is very invasive.. I will never do it that's for sure.

But also I wouldn't try to push it to get it done after exactly 6 months, I don't think you want to hyperpigment all over and stuff like that. you need to take the time and I would say wait at least a year. Before that try other methods and only do dermabrasion full face when you've tried all other things..

see ya around

kinda ditto. if your scars are really shallow, and you're not sitting on a lot of money, the derma could very well be more trouble than it's worth.

but really, please: do not "try all other things." I wasted a lot of money and hope and time on stuff like CP and obsessed over stuff like needling and micro. I even considered buying a microderm machine so I could give myself treatments. Ended up with breakouts and confusion and a lot of swallowed words. [And, in hindsight, I really don't think smoothbeam was permanent. yeah. I said it. wanna front? ;)]

But, still--one of the best tricks I learned when it comes to dealing with the psychology of scars is to keep working on it. Just do something that makes you feel as though you have some control over the situation--you will see benefits in many places if you can at least assume some authorship for your plight. Being a victim is so passé. It's a spiritual cancer.

That's why I'm a fan of the peels. They're pretty much harmless until you can save up money ot be more specific. They actually work to improve the look of your skin (Maya did have great skin around her scars, and I remember that this is what she did). And that'll just make you feel better. Definitely improved.

accutane does not allow for proper healing of the skin and it definitely takes more than 6 months for the effects of accutane to wear out. If you want to do dermabrasion you have to ensure that your skin will be ready to enter a healing period of 6 months.

I suggest you wait at least a year.

Hi Lexy,

I second what a lot of people are saying, and suggest you wait at least a year before going with dermabrasion, if infact this is what you want to consider.

I think it's interesting that Jenya's had good results from microdermabrasion. Although microderm comes in for a lot of stick here, the results are very much dependent on the setting and type of machine. You might want to look into a 'medical microdermabrasion' - this can be a very intense procedure and can cause the skin to bleed from the severity of the treatment, but it is still much less invasive (and expensive) than actual dermabrasion.

If you have minor scarring, but don't want to have a full intensity dermabrasion done, a medical microdermabrasion may be a good compromise. You will still have to wait at least 6 months (and possibly a year) before this procedure, though.

I also second GR's recommendations of lactic peels. Although they won't significantly help with scarring (IMO), I feel they are excellent for helping overall skin condition, which may improve the appearance of scarring.

Good luck anyway, and don't rush into anything!

Paul.

But, still--one of the best tricks I learned when it comes to dealing with the psychology of scars is to keep working on it. Just do something that makes you feel as though you have some control over the situation--you will see benefits in many places if you can at least assume some authorship for your plight. Being a victim is so passé. It's a spiritual cancer.

That's why I'm a fan of the peels. They're pretty much harmless until you can save up money ot be more specific. They actually work to improve the look of your skin (Maya did have great skin around her scars, and I remember that this is what she did). And that'll just make you feel better. Definitely improved.

I'm waiting 6 months. It's been about 6 months and maybe a week or something and my hair and face is already oily and I have to take an antibiotic and use retin-a to control my acne (works superd since finishing 2nd course of accutane).